Author Topic: Manchester United: 12 consecutive clean sheets (shut outs)  (Read 11591 times)

Manchester United: 12 consecutive clean sheets (shut outs)
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson paid tribute to his defence after they recorded their 12th successive clean sheet.

United have not conceded for 1,122 minutes, a new English league football record.

Ferguson acknowledged that achievement by saluting his backline, and saved special praise for Edwin van der Sar.

''It's a fantastic performance from the boys. I couldn't believe it when I read that the last goal we conceded was against Arsenal in October,'' he said.

''Van der Sar brings calmness and assurance. Over the last 12 games we have changed the back four I don't know how many times so you have to give great credit to them.''

Man Utd hasn't given up a goal since November 8.  Yes, soccer / football is a low scoring game, but this is a pretty phenomenal streak.  Credit goes to Edwin van der Sar and the defense (as well as the offense, which is doing a good job keeping possession).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Manchester United: 12 consecutive clean sheets (shut outs)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Pfft.

Congrats to all ManU fans on this board, but van der Sar is one of the most overrated goalies ever, imo.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline rathcor

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Pfft.

Congrats to all ManU fans on this board, but van der Sar is one of the most overrated goalies ever, imo.

The last 10 years or so most of ManU's players have been overrated.  Bartez, Tim Howard, Beckham

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Pfft.

The last 10 years or so most of ManU's players have been overrated.  Bartez, Tim Howard, Beckham

And yet, all these overrated players have won how many titles?  ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »

Offline rathcor

• Xavier Tillman
Pfft.

Yeah i will give you that.  They have had some good players throught the years.  I take it your a ManU Fan then

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Pfft.

Yeah i will give you that.  They have had some good players throught the years.  I take it your a ManU Fan then

Yeah.  I started closely following them in '98 when I was studying abroad, and they ended up winning the Treble that year, so the loyalty stuck.  Roy Keane is my all-time favorite, which probably doesn't speak terribly well of me.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »

Offline rathcor

• Xavier Tillman
Pfft.

Yeah.  I started closely following them in '98 when I was studying abroad, and they ended up winning the Treble that year, so the loyalty stuck.  Roy Keane is my all-time favorite, which probably doesn't speak terribly well of me.

Keane was great for them back then.  I disliked him after the 02 world cup.  Liked him after he moved to Celtic and now i dislike him for quiting on sunderland.  He is just a bit of a Head case but all greats are

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Pfft.

May I once again remind the people of CB
of Man Utd's title drought, which lasted
from the 1966-67 season until they won
again in 1992-93, their goalkeeper being
another crazy man, Dane Peter Schmeichel?  ;D

Those that know me, know that I love MUFC.
I just use every chance I get to show Peter
the Great some love  ;) And overrated, he
was not, I should add!

van der Sar is indeed overrated. But the
defenders in front of him are not.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 03:40:06 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I`d like to meet the person who thinks that Peter (not Casper) Schmeichel is overrated!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:40:46 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I couldn't possibly care less, I know I don't have to post if I don't care, but its soccer & the C's play the Lakers tonight! They could have a million straight "clean sheets", its still soccer, its a woman's sport, go C's!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I couldn't possibly care less, I know I don't have to post if I don't care, but its soccer & the C's play the Lakers tonight! They could have a million straight "clean sheets", its still soccer, its a woman's sport, go C's!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you're right:  next time don't post.  It's borderline trolling (or, it's outright trolling) to call soccer a "woman's sport" in the soccer forum.

I'm with you on the "go C's" thing, though.

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:51:27 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
It's quite an incredible record. While Van Der Sar deserves some credit, the real credit goes to Nemanja Vidic. Not Rio Ferdinand or Patrice Evra, but Vidic. He has been sensational lately.

Whil I also think VDS is overrated, he's our best since Schmeichel. Barthez was awful, Bosnich was a junkie and Howard never got the break.

Here's to 13 against West Ham on Sunday, and a TP for you Roy.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 03:41:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
During the last game (again clean sheet) VD Saar broke the  British record for most minutes without goal. The previous record was held by scottish keaper but i can`t remmember the name ( i think it was Woods)

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:41:11 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
If VDS doesn`t give up a goal at the next game against Blackburn will break the european record held by Verlinden (90`s belgean keeper of Brugge). Now VDS has kept his sheet clean for 1302mins and the record is 1390.

The absolute record belongs to the keeper of Vasco De Gama Macharopi (sp??). He was unbeaten for 1816mins in the 70s (1977-78)

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Yeah, impressive - a little less considering their giant budget. One should note some recent terrible news for ManU though: Scolari was fired. I expect Chelsea to improve by a lot in the future.