Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28361 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Hearing Tatum's recent comments and AD sounding extremely dumb/confused with his own comments, I'm beginning to think we're better off keeping what we have and trying to make moderate upgrades elsewhere (like in the front court w/depth behind Horford and/or a Horford replacement down the line).

UPDATE: Wait.... was that "No Celtics won't never be... on not list" thread fake...  :P

Yes. Unless ad comes super cheap then look elsewhere.

Team is already one of the best in the entire league and has a glaring weakness that once sured up puts us in true championship contension.

Dont need to sell off everyrhing for a sibgle player that is of no guarantee when all that is truly needed is a moderate upgrade.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Could we use an upgrade? Absolutely! A top 5 player? No doubt!  One that talks out both sides of his mouth about where he will or won't play, while trading some of our best players? Go take a hike!

TP!  Don't want to give up Tatum and 4 other prospects for the right to kiss butt for a year and a half or whatever it is...move on please. 

This is the Celtics...no butt kissing except during free agency. 

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I would rather not give up Tatum in a deal for AD. Give them everything else.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Remember how mad people were when Danny traded the number 1 pick in the draft for a first rounder and drafted Tatum instead of Fultz?  That was funny.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
Ainge knows what he’s doing, if he makes a trade it’s gonna make sense.  He’s got infinitely more resources than we do. Bunch of people around here playing kiddy GM using BS media leaks as their reasoning because they’re too attached to our players.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Remember how mad people were when Danny traded the number 1 pick in the draft for a first rounder and drafted Tatum instead of Fultz?  That was funny.
I remember the threads and posts on Celtics blog where fans were convinced Ainge was making a huge mistake trying to trade for KG, who didn't want to be here, while possibly including two 1st rounders, Al Jefferson(who most fans were convinced would be an All-Star/All-NBA player for years), Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes and others.

I remember how convinced people were that we couldn't give up Jefferson for a player like KG who didn't want to be here.

But then Ainge shipped off Wally Szczerbiak(a player KG HATED) and parts for Ray Allen.

And then KG said sure to Boston and signed the extend and trade extension and the trade was made.

Then the Celtics went 29-3. Then 66-16

Then they were world champs.

Then no one cared about Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes or those two draft picks ever again.

Good times.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I remember the threads and posts on Celtics blog where fans were convinced Ainge was making a huge mistake trying to trade for KG, who didn't want to be here, while possibly including two 1st rounders, Al Jefferson(who most fans were convinced would be an All-Star/All-NBA player for years), Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes and others.

I remember how convinced people were that we couldn't give up Jefferson for a player like KG who didn't want to be here.

But then Ainge shipped off Wally Szczerbiak(a player KG HATED) and parts for Ray Allen.

And then KG said sure to Boston and signed the extend and trade extension and the trade was made.

Then no one cared about Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes or those two draft picks ever again.

Good times.
and what's funny is both Tatum/brown are a direct result of dumping an old kg to the nets...

So the nets trade ends up being (if we trade Tatum for Davis):

As if we traded 36 year old KG (+pierce) for prime Davis +young Brown +prime Kyrie ... It was simply postposted a few years.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:50:28 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
Great perspectives from nickagneta and CelticsElite, thank you, great posts.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Good times.

so you are saying KG agreed to an extension before the trade. Will AD agree to an extension before the trade?

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Good times.

so you are saying KG agreed to an extension before the trade. Will AD agree to an extension before the trade?

@Nick has mentioned many times he won't agree to a typical extension with anyone (not even the Lakers). He'll just sign a few 1+1 deals likely until he's eligible for the highest extension which you earn after playing a certain number of years in your career.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Good times.

No he won't. It would cost him tons of cash if he did that.

Gotta remember, wherever Davis ends up, his next contracts are going to be 2 one year deals followed by a 4 or 5 year max contract at 35% of the salary cap.  That is his future.

So there won't be a long term extension for Davis for about 3 years.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Good times.

@Nick has mentioned many times he won't agree to a typical extension with anyone (not even the Lakers). He'll just sign a few 1+1 deals likely until he's eligible for the highest extension which you earn after playing a certain number of years in your career.
Former Celticsblogger Kevin O'Connor explains here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1078344576497258496

By the way he brings up a point I hadn't thought about. Davis has a trade kicker which means if he doesn't wave it we will have to come up with even more matching salary.

This has barely been discussed on this site.

So, if Davis doesn't wave that no trade kicker to come to Boston is that an indication he will fly after one year? You would think he would wave that trade kicker to go somewhere he planned to be long term.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday

Good times.

By the way he brings up a point I hadn't thought about. Davis has a trade kicker which means if he doesn't wave it we will have to come up with even more matching salary.

So, if Davis doesn't wave that no trade kicker to come to Boston is that an indication he will fly after one year? You would think he would wave that trade kicker to go somewhere he planned to be long term.

Good point I hadnt thought of that.  I’d assume Danny would take that into consideration on deciding one way or another. 

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Good times.

I did know about it. If he waives it, you need about 21.6M to match. If not, then about 24M. If it's the latter though, then I imagine it would mean along with Tatum, you HAVE to include one of Smart/Brown whereas if he waives it, we could find a way to get it done dealing Tatum while keeping both Smart+Brown in terms of salary-matching (or trade Brown, keep Tatum+Smart).

With that said, I agree, if he isn't willing to waive it then that's probably a sign that he's purely a rental for the team acquiring him. Maybe that was also a factor when Danny traded for Kyrie (he waived his I believe) although Kyrie had 2 years left on his deal and salary-matching wasn't a huge honestly in that scenario.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday

Good times.

I did know about it. If he waives it, you need about 21.6M to match. If not, then about 24M. If it's the latter though, then I imagine it would mean along with Tatum, you HAVE to include one of Smart/Brown whereas if he waives it, we could find a way to get it done dealing Tatum while keeping both Smart+Brown in terms of salary-matching (or trade Brown, keep Tatum+Smart).

With that said, I agree, if he isn't willing to waive it then that's probably a sign that he's purely a rental for the team acquiring him. Maybe that was also a factor when Danny traded for Kyrie (he waived his I believe) although Kyrie had 2 years left on his deal and salary-matching wasn't a huge honestly in that scenario.
Yeah Kyrie waived his

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Good times.

No he won't. It would cost him tons of cash if he did that.

Gotta remember, wherever Davis ends up, his next contracts are going to be 2 one year deals followed by a 4 or 5 year max contract at 35% of the salary cap.  That is his future.

So there won't be a long term extension for Davis for about 3 years.

If money is the main concern for Davis, then why doesn't he stay in New Orleans where he can sign an extension of $230 million over 5 years?