Author Topic: Rank Their Primes  (Read 1701 times)

Rank Their Primes
« on: July 24, 2023, 03:57:15 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Rank these four contemporaries in terms of their prime years in the NBA.

- Carmelo Anthony
- Jimmy Butler
- Paul George
- Paul Pierce
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rank Their Primes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 04:18:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
-Melo
-Pierce
-George
-Butler

Not necessarily the order I'd want each, though. I think Pierce/George is close but Pierce was more durable.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 05:58:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Prime years, or prime year singular? Because Paul George had the best individual season of the group with his top 3 MVP season (Melo did this too, but PG plays elite defence).

If it is years plural, then I think George & Butler get knocked due to all the time they've missed with injuries.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 06:01:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Prime years, or prime year singular? Because Paul George had the best individual season of the group with his top 3 MVP season (Melo did this too, but PG plays elite defence).

If it is years plural, then I think George & Butler get knocked due to all the time they've missed with injuries.

I took prime as in their prime stretch but who knows.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Absolute peak?

George -> Carmelo -> The Captain -> Butler

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 06:22:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409
#1 Pierce

Pierce was the most well rounded of the four. He could score in every way. In transition, in post ups, in the mid post, from the perimeter, off the dribble. He could handle. He could pass. He could play plus D and he rebounded well. He had everything.

Nobody else on the list has everything.

Jimmy doesn't have the jumper. Melo and PG13 are not the passers or ball-handlers that Pierce is. PG13 is not the low post or midpost threat that Melo, Pierce or Jimmy is.

PG13 is tough to rate. He didn't have much of a prime. He had an early prime in Indiana pre-injury, then he had missed time and recovery seasons, then almost like a 2nd prime post-injury but that too has been interrupted by injuries while in LAC. He has lacked post-season success in OKC. His final years in Indy were with dodgy teams. So we didn't get to see PG13 in a long playoff run during these late years in Indy and in OKC. He has played with strong teams in LAC but again the injury bug has struck. I find it hard to rate him next to these other guys.

Part of me leans towards rating him last as least proven and another part of me wants to rate him 2nd behind Pierce.

I find it hard to separate this trio so I lean towards Melo as #2 due to longevity of elite play / prime years.

Melo probably has the longest stretch of strong years of the remaining trio from around 2007 to 2015. Something like that.

PG13 too many injuries. Up and down career.

Jimmy started slow and gradually built himself up from 3rd stringer to role player to starter to all-star before peaking as a top 10 guy these last couple of years. He doesn't have the longevity of Melo in terms of length of prime years but his absolute peak is comparable to Melo. Led Miami to 2 NBA Finals. Dang impressive.

#2 Melo
#3 Jimmy
#4 PG13

I don't think Melo or PG13 could lead that Miami team to the Finals twice. Maybe Jimmy should be 2nd.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 06:48:28 PM by Who »

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 09:44:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
George finished 3rd in MVP voting and 3rd in DPOY voting in the same season.  That is BY FAR the best individual season of any of those 4 players.  And that was in OKC so post-injury, but was also his last healthy season. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip