Author Topic: I am getting tired of Damian Lillard already.  (Read 5637 times)

I am getting tired of Damian Lillard already.
« on: July 11, 2023, 09:16:38 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I mean, everyday there is a story about how DL wants to play for Miami. Too Bad!!!
He is not LeBron James in his Prime!! Dude, you are 33 and Portland wants a really good haul for you.
So, if you want to be traded so bad, sit back and see if a Team is willing to go all in for you!
Just really annoys me when a player not only demands a Trade, bet then Demands a Team.
I doesn't work like that!

Re: I am getting tired of Damian Lillard already.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 09:31:11 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Code: [Select]
I mean, everyday there is a story about how DL wants to play for Miami. Too Bad!!!
He is not LeBron James in his Prime!! Dude, you are 33 and Portland wants a really good haul for you.
So, if you want to be traded so bad, sit back and see if a Team is willing to go all in for you!
Just really annoys me when a player not only demands a Trade, bet then Demands a Team.

Well we hope it doesn’t work like that.  But maybe it does. 

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 09:33:11 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51

Sadly, you may be right.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 09:39:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Definitely not alone!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Agreed.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 08:21:21 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

I think we are seeing the limits of player empowerment.  Free agents should be able to go wherever they want. Players under contract are a different story. Players that go public with trade demands and try to limit options to one team have pushed it too far.
Sadly, you may be right.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 08:32:28 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Dame is very expensive, hasn't played a lot lately, and is not a good defender.

Sign me up!!! ::)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 08:52:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Philly had it mostly right with Ben Simmons.  If a dude doesn't want to be there, sit him out and suspend him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 08:53:51 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Dame is very expensive, hasn't played a lot lately, and is not a good defender.

Sign me up!!! ::)

Let's not go overboard on this.  Lilliard did have what was probably a down year for him (only 58 games) and he still made 3rd team All-NBA.  He is a really good player.  He scored 32.2 pts/game on 20.7 FGA/game.  That is really good efficiency.  Got nearly 10 FTA/game.  37.1 3PT%, all when you know the defense was focused on stopping him.  Also managed 7.3 Asst/game (3.3 TO/game).  Now a lot of this stat volume comes from him having the ball in his hands, but let's not kid ourselves, he is a really good player.

But really good player or not, I am tired of this "trade me" saga also.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 08:57:41 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
What if Portland gets a modest haul, makes Dame happy, and just pretends he left in free agency?

I don’t see the big deal. They hit the lottery getting Scoot at 3. Send Dame and that money out, clear the cap for Scoot on a rookie scale.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 08:58:20 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
What if the problem is not the player, or the team management, but the 24-hour engagement requirements of modern day sports coverage?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 09:11:22 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
What if the problem is not the player, or the team management, but the 24-hour engagement requirements of modern day sports coverage?

TP on this - I think it's the constant requirement to make it a story from the media that is making it unbearable.

How many of these stories or takes are based on facts and simply not just click bait?

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 10:44:07 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
What if Portland gets a modest haul, makes Dame happy, and just pretends he left in free agency?

I don’t see the big deal. They hit the lottery getting Scoot at 3. Send Dame and that money out, clear the cap for Scoot on a rookie scale.

That's just not good asset management. Think about it, what if we traded Paul and KG for a lesser package than we got? Portland has to approach a Dame trade the same way and get maximum value back.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 10:48:32 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

That's just not good asset management. Think about it, what if we traded Paul and KG for a lesser package than we got? Portland has to approach a Dame trade the same way and get maximum value back.

Yep, exactly this.

People argue that Portland has some “duty” to send Dame to the Heat or wherever and get this over with. But that’s not really the case. Their duties are to the organization, the owners, the team, and the fans to put out the best product available, and the way you do that is by maximizing your return in trade value for your star. They’re already doing him a solid by trading him when they don’t have to and not simply trading him to the highest bidder regardless of chances to win.

I do think it’ll be interesting to see how Cronin manages this. Unlike the Simmons deal, I don’t see Dame being willing to sit out if he’s not getting what he wants, so there’s more pressure to get this done before the season starts. Though certainly not impossible to take the hard line and extend this into the season if you’re still not satisfied with the return.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 07:25:28 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
And here we go again.  Personally, I don't see a path to Dame to the C's with JB signing the Max, but I've been wrong before (a lot!).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/celtics-the-new-non-heat-favorite-to-land-damian-lillard-in-trade-despite-jaylen-brown-contract-extension/ar-AA1elDlR?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=688d063a56564bee8281111e02fd8c4f&ei=11

I'm so tired of this story, just move on!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."