Author Topic: Popovich signs 5-year contract  (Read 4554 times)

Re: Popovich signs 5-year contract
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2023, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Much as I'm enjoying the ride, I think what you're suggesting clearly falls into the realm of a nefarious plot on behalf of the NBA, no?

Merely, Merely,  Merely,  Merely,  Life is but a dream.

Side note. I think Charlotte is just insane for not taking the second best player in the draft Scooter. Although different and Miller will be better than the player I'm about to mention.

It's all to similar to the Jane's Wiseman selection.  Just take clearly the second best prospect and figure it out later. Heck,  I would have drafted Lamelo with the idea that I'm trading him down the line.

Also Melo would have fit it better than most think with the Dubs, but I would have showcased him and gotten the world back.

Now ironically Lamelos team makes the same mistakes.  Scoot is the creal deal.

My pet theory about the Charlotte pick and Scoot is that Jordan (who's talent evaluation skills seem pretty bad) didn't want to pick the guy who would start contributing to their success as he departs as majority owner.

While I like this theory, wouldn't that require him being good enough at talent evaluation to know which prospect will turn out better?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2023, 08:40:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've been thinking about this lately, but I'm beginning to wonder just how good a coach Pop actually is.  He had 1 season pre-Duncan and went 17-47.  Duncan retired after the 2016 season and this is the Spurs since.

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

That is the definition of progressively worse and it isn't like they were tanking until this past season.  That first season the Spurs won 2 playoff series, but they haven't won one since and haven't been in the playoffs the last 3 seasons.  I understand talent wins and the talent hasn't been there, but Pop is also the guy mostly responsible for the talent (or lack thereof) on the team. 

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Pop isn't a good coach, he is, but I used to think he was in the handful of greatest coaches ever, and now I'm not so sure. Be interesting to see what happens in San An over the next few seasons.
I think it would be fascinating to look at the records of the "greatest coaches of all time" with and without mega stars. I feel like you would have to look for the 50ish win seasons without historically great players. I have a decent understanding of the history of the game, but not well enough to know what year specific greats were missing their stars.
The top 15 announced for the 75th anniversary in alphabetical order are Auerbach, Brown, Daly, Holzman, Jackson, Jones, Kerr, Nelson, Popovich, Ramsay, Riley, Rivers, Sloan, Spoelstra, Wilkens. 

Most of those guys coached historically great players the vast majority of their careers so it is hard to say. 

But that is why I said it would be interesting to see what happens with Pop over the next couple of seasons.  If they continue to be bad, I do think that is a bit of a blow to Pop.  I do think Spo is the best coach in the league right now.  The job he has done the last several years is amazing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2023, 09:07:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I've been thinking about this lately, but I'm beginning to wonder just how good a coach Pop actually is.  He had 1 season pre-Duncan and went 17-47.  Duncan retired after the 2016 season and this is the Spurs since.

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

That is the definition of progressively worse and it isn't like they were tanking until this past season.  That first season the Spurs won 2 playoff series, but they haven't won one since and haven't been in the playoffs the last 3 seasons.  I understand talent wins and the talent hasn't been there, but Pop is also the guy mostly responsible for the talent (or lack thereof) on the team. 

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Pop isn't a good coach, he is, but I used to think he was in the handful of greatest coaches ever, and now I'm not so sure. Be interesting to see what happens in San An over the next few seasons.
I think it would be fascinating to look at the records of the "greatest coaches of all time" with and without mega stars. I feel like you would have to look for the 50ish win seasons without historically great players. I have a decent understanding of the history of the game, but not well enough to know what year specific greats were missing their stars.
The top 15 announced for the 75th anniversary in alphabetical order are Auerbach, Brown, Daly, Holzman, Jackson, Jones, Kerr, Nelson, Popovich, Ramsay, Riley, Rivers, Sloan, Spoelstra, Wilkens. 

Most of those guys coached historically great players the vast majority of their careers so it is hard to say. 

But that is why I said it would be interesting to see what happens with Pop over the next couple of seasons.  If they continue to be bad, I do think that is a bit of a blow to Pop.  I do think Spo is the best coach in the league right now.  The job he has done the last several years is amazing.
Rivers?  Doc Rivers was selected as a top 15 coach of all time?   I'm very, very confused. 

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2023, 10:36:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Much as I'm enjoying the ride, I think what you're suggesting clearly falls into the realm of a nefarious plot on behalf of the NBA, no?

Merely, Merely,  Merely,  Merely,  Life is but a dream.

Side note. I think Charlotte is just insane for not taking the second best player in the draft Scooter. Although different and Miller will be better than the player I'm about to mention.

It's all to similar to the Jane's Wiseman selection.  Just take clearly the second best prospect and figure it out later. Heck,  I would have drafted Lamelo with the idea that I'm trading him down the line.

Also Melo would have fit it better than most think with the Dubs, but I would have showcased him and gotten the world back.

Now ironically Lamelos team makes the same mistakes.  Scoot is the creal deal.

My pet theory about the Charlotte pick and Scoot is that Jordan (who's talent evaluation skills seem pretty bad) didn't want to pick the guy who would start contributing to their success as he departs as majority owner.

While I like this theory, wouldn't that require him being good enough at talent evaluation to know which prospect will turn out better?

No. That's not it. It's as simple as catering to their star Lamelo.  He reportedly didn't like Scoot, and welcomed Brandon Miller with open arms.

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2023, 01:22:11 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

Rivers?  Doc Rivers was selected as a top 15 coach of all time?   I'm very, very confused.

Lol yeah I had the same exact thought he won one titled and and made one finals and then has underachieved the rest of his career (he a had a good year with the magic but not something 50 other coaches don’t have on their resume.
)

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2023, 02:03:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

61-21
47-35
48-34
32-39
34-48
22-60

Lol yeah I had the same exact thought he won one titled and and made one finals and then has underachieved the rest of his career (he a had a good year with the magic but not something 50 other coaches don’t have on their resume.
)
Astonishing he gets included. His Clippers & 76ers teams were massive underachievers when you look at all the talent there
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2023, 06:17:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I can't stand Doc, but he is 9th all time in wins (he was 10th when the list was announced).  Of the coaches with at least 1000 games, Doc has the 7th best win percentage at 59%.  His 111 playoff wins is the 4th best all time and he is 12th all time in playoff win percentage amongst coaches with at least 100 games.

So Doc may suck as a coach but his longevity and general win success puts him pretty clearly into the top 15.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2023, 10:54:22 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I can't stand Doc, but he is 9th all time in wins (he was 10th when the list was announced).  Of the coaches with at least 1000 games, Doc has the 7th best win percentage at 59%.  His 111 playoff wins is the 4th best all time and he is 12th all time in playoff win percentage amongst coaches with at least 100 games.

So Doc may suck as a coach but his longevity and general win success puts him pretty clearly into the top 15.

I think you have to take these numbers looking at them through two key factors. 1 he has a lot more longevity than some other coaches because he is very well liked by media members and is a good speaker. I think a lot of coaches that were a bit more prickly or less well spoken would have been given a shorter leash on both the clippers and Philly. Two his winning percentage is a very silly stat to site given the context. Without superstars in Orlando he was fired his final season he was 1-10. In his two years before we got kg and Ray he had 33 and then 24 wins. The second we start to rebuild here he jumps immediately jumps to one of the most talented teams in the league and starts winning 50+ games immediately, and Mo I think you could have coached that team with griffin, a top 5 player in the league for some of those seasons plus a prime Paul and deandre jordan and great role players like reddick and Crawford to 50+ wins. He regularly underachieved with those teams and consistently got out coached. His blown lead to close out a series against the rockets getting torched by Corey brewer and Josh smith remains one of the worst coaches games of modern times. Before finally getting fired from the clippers after years of underachieving he is somehow given the chance to immediately start coaching one of the most talented teams in the league led by a perennial mvp candidate a rising ben simmons and later James harden. He has a spectacular blown series against a hawks team that had maybe half the talent and maybe 1 top 25 player? He is inexplicably brought back to coach after this and has more seasons to pad his win percentage with a top 3 mvp candidate and great regular season player. I honestly think you would have had a similar record coaching. Context is massively important unless we want to call mazz a top 3 coach in the nba right now. Otherwise he is nowhere close to a top 15 coach of all time.