Author Topic: Collins to Utah for Rudy Gay  (Read 5196 times)

Re: Collins to Utah for Rudy Gay
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2023, 05:36:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Are you all on Grant's payroll?

Most overrated plated in team history.

There's no question he's a much better shooter than Collins.

If you had to have either Collins or Grant make one defensive stand again Giannis, or Embiid, or Butler, or Van Fleet to win the game, who would you choose? Because Grant has been there and done that. It's the reason why smart teams are after him as an RFA, and avoiding Collins even though he was readily available.
I would let them go get an open layup, because it's a foregone conclusion either way

Except it was a trick question. Grant has stopped Van Fleet on a switch out to win a playoff game.

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2023, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If you had to have either Collins or Grant make one defensive stand again Giannis, or Embiid, or Butler, or Van Fleet to win the game, who would you choose? Because Grant has been there and done that. It's the reason why smart teams are after him as an RFA, and avoiding Collins even though he was readily available.
I would let them go get an open layup, because it's a foregone conclusion either way

Except it was a trick question. Grant has stopped Van Fleet on a switch out to win a playoff game.
I know what you are referring to. Occasional good defensive possessions =/= being a good defender. Especially when those occasional good plays are often followed by shocking lapses
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2023, 05:40:30 PM »

• Paul Silas

I know what you are referring to. Occasional good defensive possessions =/= being a good defender. Especially when those occasional good plays are often followed by shocking lapses

The league and the way they value each player is going to disagree with you. Collins could have been had by any number of these cap space teams for nothing. Grant reportedly has a lot more suitors.

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2023, 05:41:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Pure salary dump. Ainge just kills it lol. Great move for the Jazz.

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2023, 05:41:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The league and the way they value each player is going to disagree with you. Collins could have been had by any number of these cap space teams for nothing. Grant reportedly has a lot more suitors.
We shall see. The league valuing guys highly doesn't actually make them right though, you know?

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2023, 05:43:56 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

We shall see. The league valuing guys highly doesn't actually make them right though, you know?

It doesn't.  But NBA teams also have access to a lot more tracking data than we fans do, which is probably more helpful for evaluating players, like Grant, who don't show up in the box score the same way as others.

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2023, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm not sure that Grant is a better shooter overall.  Collins had two 40% 3PT seasons and another 36% year.  He's also a much, much, much better inside player.

And, Grant's defense is wildly overrated.  For every very good game, he'll have three that he's average-to-ineffective.

Grant has scored three points or less in 12 of his last 18 playoff games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2023, 05:47:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It doesn't.  But NBA teams also have access to a lot more tracking data than we fans do, which is probably more helpful for evaluating players, like Grant, who don't show up in the box score the same way as others.

Grant's contributions don't show up in the box score, or in +/-, or in wins/losses, or in playoff performances.

Where do they show up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2023, 05:47:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sure. I just don't think it will translate for Grant. He has benefited immensely from playing alongside great players. He will struggle alongside lesser ones.

He is just an incredibly flawed player. Can't shoot, pass, or generally score outside of spot-up threes. Can't rebound. Can defend well sometimes, gets exposed at other times. I have long been a fan of his, but am pretty done with him.

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2023, 05:48:48 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
A Collins Markannen pairing could be fun offensively. Collins was probably underutilized in the post in Atlanta where he has some nice skills, and Lauri would help space the floor for him. Then mix in Kessler’s strong defense. Could be a very nice 3 big rotation.

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2023, 05:52:07 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Grant's contributions don't show up in the box score, or in +/-, or in wins/losses, or in playoff performances.

Where do they show up?

They do show up in +/-.  You’re better than this.

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2023, 05:56:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Where do they show up?

His on/off stats seem to indicate that we were worse off having him get minutes: https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/4593/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2023, 05:56:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Where do they show up?

Not in the playoffs.

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »

• Paul Silas

Sure. I just don't think it will translate for Grant. He has benefited immensely from playing alongside great players. He will struggle alongside lesser ones.

He is just an incredibly flawed player. Can't shoot, pass, or generally score outside of spot-up threes. Can't rebound. Can defend well sometimes, gets exposed at other times. I have long been a fan of his, but am pretty done with him.

That's fair. The narrative I've heard is that teams think Grant has some untapped offensive potential to add to his spotup shooting and decent distributing.

I do think you are underselling his defense as well, but it's fair to question if he's the type of player that is better with better players, but will look significantly worse in a larger role.

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2023, 06:06:05 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Grant Williams is overrated.

John Collins has been available for years and ATL just dumped him for nada. I'm not even sure he's rated by NBA people anymore.

Which overrated player will be overpaid more? It will probably be close. I'm just glad that the Celtics won't be involved.