Author Topic: CP3 Traded to Warriors  (Read 3561 times)

Re: CP3 Traded to Warriors
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2023, 04:27:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I wonder if GSW would just waive him.

Even if they keep CP3 this year, they surely won't keep him next year for $30mil.

He'll play for them this year because they need a backup PG and there's no penalty for being expensive this year (other than money, and Warriors LOL at luxury tax). Next year he probably gets waived saving them a ton of money.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2023, 04:28:46 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Not good for the Warriors pick.

I was thinking the same thing. With CP3 they now have insurance from a possible injury to Steph Curry. That pick should firmly be a mid-1st now.

Ehhhh, I'm not sure Chris Paul is any better than a solid backup right now. I think you can make an argument that Poole may be more valuable next year as a regular seaosn player.

My comment was more about this making Green resigning more likely. Don’t think Paul moves the needle much, and is probably a downgrade from Poole.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2023, 04:29:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
So is CP3 still starting?

CP3/Curry/Klay/JaMychal/Looney?

CP3/Curry/Klay/Draymond/Looney?

Or is he finally gonna accept that he's a bench guy at this point in time?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2023, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's nice to have a team to root against because the C's hold their draft pick.  (This was one of my favorite parts of the Ainge/Stevens era.)

It's even nicer when that team is full of players you already love to root against.

Will Draymond and Paul get along?  Two notoriously ornery, aging players, who have been known to be less than stellar teammates.  I can see that powder keg getting ready to explode now.  Here's hoping at least.

Draymond is a wild card. He's basically the reason KD wanted to bounce and he socked Poole, you really don't know how that's going to go.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2023, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I actually like this for our pick, personally. I think CP3 takes a big step back
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2023, 04:32:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I actually like this for our pick, personally. I think CP3 takes a big step back

It certainly increases the chance they get no production out of $30 million in salary.

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2023, 04:32:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I was thinking the same thing. With CP3 they now have insurance from a possible injury to Steph Curry. That pick should firmly be a mid-1st now.

Ehhhh, I'm not sure Chris Paul is any better than a solid backup right now. I think you can make an argument that Poole may be more valuable next year as a regular seaosn player.

My comment was more about this making Green resigning more likely. Don’t think Paul moves the needle much, and is probably a downgrade from Poole.

Ya that's fair, I just think Greene was almost certainly all ready returning. I didn't even really consider that he wasn't.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2023, 07:21:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Zach Lowe: The 2030 GSW first-round pick going to Washington is top-20 protected, sources tell ESPN

That's very heavily protected.  I'm surprised DC took on Poole for so little compensation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 07:41:17 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

So is the consensus that this trade was to mainly dump Poole's salary, and GS didn't really want CP3, it could have been whomever?

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2023, 07:51:22 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Zach Lowe: The 2030 GSW first-round pick going to Washington is top-20 protected, sources tell ESPN

That's very heavily protected.  I'm surprised DC took on Poole for so little compensation.

Specially since Poole’s contract has a couple of years left. Maybe they’ll try to rebuild his value and flip it to some desperate team who needs a complimentary star, or make him and Kuzma as the initial building blocks of the franchise together with Tyus Jones.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I expect CP3 to age like John Stockton.

To keep being a quality starting caliber PG for some time to come because of his high skill level in terms of shooting ability, ball-handling, passing and strong floor leadership.

Even with declining physical ability, CP3's high skill level should keep him at a good level for some time to come.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2023, 07:56:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I was heading to SBNation's warriors page to see what they are thinking about CP3. One of the main headlines is who they may draft. Talk heating up that GSW will select Brandin Podziemski.

I love that fit for player and team. He'd be great in their offense. An excellent replacement for Poole as well in terms of an instant offense bench threat.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2023, 08:02:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Paul averaged 13.9 points and 8.9 assists per game last year, while shooting 37.5% from three-point line. By EPM, he ranked as the 42nd-best player in the NBA, better than every Warrior except Curry.

Additionally, he was 4th in assists, and 9th in steals. He also was 5th in MVP voting 13 months ago.

Poole was a disaster this past year. Messy on offense and instant liability on defense. Total Raptor was a 233 out of 250 players, which matched the eye test for me.

I wonder if that Raptors number is regular season or playoffs. I expect it is the playoffs because Poole was terrible in the playoffs.

Many GSW fans seem unhappy with the trade. Do not like CP3 due to past playoff clashes. Do not like trading a 24yo for a 38yo 6-0 PG. Do not like how injury prone CP3 is.

The fans that do like the trade like it mostly for the financial reasons. A smaller number like it because they view CP3 as an upgrade over Poole. A lot of them are probably quite down on Poole.

I am surprised by Poole's TS%. It was only 57% last year. A slightly below average mark. He was still a good ball-handler and passer so probably a positive on offense but likely not moving the line much on offense. And as some Warriors fans note, Poole was maybe the worst guard defender in the league last year so he was a large negative on defense making him a large negative overall (only marginal positive offense to counteract the bad D).

Poole had a 60% TS% the year prior. Caught fire in the playoffs with a 65% mark. Still that 60% combined with prolific scoring, prolific outside shooting, ball-handling, passing would make him a sizeable positive on offense. More than enough to counteract his bad D. Many GSW fans believe he can get back to that and last year was a down year rather than a sign of things to come.

After the initial shock, there are several positives that could come out of this, assuming Paul is assigned mainly to run the second unit

1. The non-Curry minutes were awful, and Poole led that unit. Now it's going to be Paul.

2. We now have an elite pair of Curry or Paul to lead the team for the entire 48 minutes.

I like that comment. That team did fall apart without Steph last year. CP3 will got a long way to allievating that.

Also comment that CP3 with reduced minutes as a better shot at staying healthy / avoiding injury. Fair comment.

This is reminded me of Bill Walton coming to the Celtics in 1985-86. Playing in that bench role for 15-20mpg and giving huge production / impact in short minutes. I can see CP3 having similar success for GSW.

It also improves our defense a lot. Paul is much, much, much better on D than Poole.

They also talk about Moody being a big beneficiary of playing with CP3. That CP3 will get him more good shots and make his life a lot easier. I agree.

Mixed responses to how well CP3 will help Kuminga. I don't think he will. CP3 has done well with low skill big men but I don't remember him doing well with low skill wings. He does well with floor spacing wings. That is why I like CP3 with Moody.

My other thought here is while there were zero rumors about the Warriors being linked to Porzingis, I'd have much preferred to have traded Poole/Rollins/Picks for Porzingis than Paul. Sure, KP asks for a max the following season.... but that's okay in a world where KP thrives and you can let Klay walk.

Ooh, interesting. Fair point.

Why didn't GSW go after Porzingis instead of CP3?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:28:47 PM by Who »

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2023, 09:14:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Maybe the Zinger wanted to stay on East coast and said he wouldn't opt in to go to San Fran.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2023, 07:26:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I expect CP3 to age like John Stockton.

To keep being a quality starting caliber PG for some time to come because of his high skill level in terms of shooting ability, ball-handling, passing and strong floor leadership.

Even with declining physical ability, CP3's high skill level should keep him at a good level for some time to come.
Hm, not sure. Stockton is one of the healthiest players in NBA history. Paul is riddled with soft tissue injuries
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)