Author Topic: Beal traded for bag of balls  (Read 12524 times)

Re: Beal traded for bag of balls
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2023, 07:13:44 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Everything is different with the new CBA. This trade is the first sign. Bloated contracts are worse value, even for talented players. Draft picks are more valuable.

A guy like Marcus Smart or Derrick White on cost-controlled contracts will be as valuable, if not more valuable, than Bradley Beal on his bloated contract.

It makes you wonder about Jaylen and his supermax. Just what will his trade value be after that deal?

I had been thinking it would similar to Khris Middleton's trade value on his most recent contract.

Jaylen is about to turn 27. So 28 in one years time, 29 in two years time. Not far off Bradley Beal at that point in age. Big difference in health. Jaylen typically misses 10-15 games or so but he hasn't missed anywhere near as much as Beal. So he should not have that problem. But just how much could you expect to get back in a future trade for Jaylen post-super max? It doesn't look great.

You can move him, sure, but can you get equivalent value (on-court value)? How much of a drop off would there be? Is that difference in the future bigger or smaller than the possible drop-off in trading Jaylen now before the super-max with only 1 year left on his contract? Where is Jaylen's trade value higher and where lower?

I think you are overlooking the huge fact that Beal had a no-trade clause. So Washington honestly couldn't shop him to the highest bidder. they were limited to where he wanted to go, and what that team was willing to give up or they were stuck with him.

not sure how the beal trade is a case for trading a 27 year old about to go in their prime...

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2023, 07:23:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Everything is different with the new CBA. This trade is the first sign. Bloated contracts are worse value, even for talented players. Draft picks are more valuable.

A guy like Marcus Smart or Derrick White on cost-controlled contracts will be as valuable, if not more valuable, than Bradley Beal on his bloated contract.

It makes you wonder about Jaylen and his supermax. Just what will his trade value be after that deal?

I had been thinking it would similar to Khris Middleton's trade value on his most recent contract.

Jaylen is about to turn 27. So 28 in one years time, 29 in two years time. Not far off Bradley Beal at that point in age. Big difference in health. Jaylen typically misses 10-15 games or so but he hasn't missed anywhere near as much as Beal. So he should not have that problem. But just how much could you expect to get back in a future trade for Jaylen post-super max? It doesn't look great.

You can move him, sure, but can you get equivalent value (on-court value)? How much of a drop off would there be? Is that difference in the future bigger or smaller than the possible drop-off in trading Jaylen now before the super-max with only 1 year left on his contract? Where is Jaylen's trade value higher and where lower?

I think you are overlooking the huge fact that Beal had a no-trade clause. So Washington honestly couldn't shop him to the highest bidder. they were limited to where he wanted to go, and what that team was willing to give up or they were stuck with him.

not sure how the beal trade is a case for trading a 27 year old about to go in their prime...

It does not make a conclusive case but it does raise the question, just how strong will Jaylen's trade value be when 28-29yrs old and on a supermax contract?

Beal's huge contract certainly reduced the number of suitors and what they were willing to give up for him. He is older than Jaylen but not that old. He is only 30. That will be 1-2 yrs older today at the time of the trade vs Jaylen in 1-2yrs time. A difference but not a huge difference.

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2023, 07:26:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Beal stayed a year or two too long in DC. The Wizards would have been so much better off moving him long ago and so would Beal.

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2023, 07:28:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Beal stayed a year or two too long in DC. The Wizards would have been so much better off moving him long ago and so would Beal.

It sounded like Beal wanted to move when he was a FA but there were no quality suitors. No good teams with cap space. So he stayed in WAS for the supermax.

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2023, 07:28:18 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Yeah, there’s a big difference between the two.

Although Beal is better offensively, Brown is a much better defender, he’s also taller, stronger, more athletic and durable.

Brown has made slow steady improvement in almost every category over his NBA career, and I can’t see why it won’t continue.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:40:07 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2023, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Wow, Miami dropped the ball here. They will struggle to get a better opportunity than this to upgrade their team and put it on a par with the top teams in the East.

Who are the top teams in the East? If I recall they beat us at home in a game 7 to go o the finals with many undrafted players. If they get Dame and it seems probable they will be a problem again. And even if we are the higher seed we can't seem to win home playoff games.

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2023, 08:09:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Wow, Miami dropped the ball here. They will struggle to get a better opportunity than this to upgrade their team and put it on a par with the top teams in the East.

Who are the top teams in the East? If I recall they beat us at home in a game 7 to go o the finals with many undrafted players. If they get Dame and it seems probable they will be a problem again. And even if we are the higher seed we can't seem to win home playoff games.

Three teams = BOS, MIL, PHI

I'd put MIA alongside CLE in 2nd tier.

The Heat had a great playoff run but I do not expect them to be able to repeat it without major roster upgrades. Lillard would certainly be that.

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2023, 08:16:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Didn't Beal wanted to stay with the Wizards so he can help them win one? That was like one or two seasons ago too. He was pretty delusional if he thought he can help the Wizards win with such a stacked East and not a quality roster.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2023, 08:39:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Didn't Beal wanted to stay with the Wizards so he can help them win one? That was like one or two seasons ago too. He was pretty delusional if he thought he can help the Wizards win with such a stacked East and not a quality roster.

But he stayed in Washington as long as he had to. That was a grift from the jump

Props to him, though. Take the owners for all their worth.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2023, 08:48:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess the Suns aren't worried about the CBA lol
Durant - 46 million
Beal - 46 million
Booker - 36 million

In 24-25 (so the year after next), those three will all be making over $50M/yr. And then Ayton (who they'll likely trade) will make $34M year. That's actually pretty hilarious. 4 guys making $185M+/yr

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2023, 08:50:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wish we'd used the TPE last season so that we had an expendable contract to trade right now.  Alec Burks and another expiring deal like Rudy Gay would be perfect right now. Flip those guys plus Gallo, Pritchard, Kornet for KP without losing from the core.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2023, 08:51:57 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Get CP3, trade for him, maz as coach, and Marcus as point, no way this team wins anything, wasting another Brown, Tatum year.

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2023, 08:54:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am of the opinion that PHX will be no better with a healthy Beal than they were with a healthy Chris Paul.  In fact, my gut feeling is that they will be worse.  How many primary scorers can a team accommodate?  The more you have, the more you dilute the impact of each.

As to how this affects the Celtics, which is my main concern, I suspect that if PHX was interested in Brogdon, they are less interested now.  Ayton is the only decent size they have.  And now that they have Beal, I don't see where Brogdon fits.  Would they start Beal and Brogdon with Booker at SF?  Maybe.

I could see them trading Ayton to IND for Turner and a depth piece or two, which the salaries would allow for, but I can't see them still wanting Brogdon.

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2023, 08:55:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It is 100% because of the no-trade clause. Beal would have brought back quite a bit more if he wasn't a jerk to his career-long team that supermaxed him. Not allowing at least two teams to be traded to, as well as not allowing the Wizards to actually get any value back from the Suns was a real **** move.

As has been said time and again, Jaylen is younger and plays a more coveted position. It's a lot of money, but there are plenty of teams that would love to have Jaylen on their team and would trade quite a bit to get him - even on a supermax.

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2023, 08:57:19 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Amazing what happens when winning is priority number one, they had above average coach in Monty, but he was not good enough so they got Vogel, in the meantime, we are stuck with 2nd row Joe. They then trade for Beal and Durrant. Ishibia is playing to win, Wyc and Co, not so much. Tatum must be taking notice