Poll

Who's the best scorer in NBA history? (players in alphabetical order)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
1 (3.4%)
Elgin Baylor
0 (0%)
Larry Bird
3 (10.3%)
Kobe Bryant
0 (0%)
Wilt Chamberlain
9 (31%)
Kevin Durant
0 (0%)
George Gervin
0 (0%)
James Harden
0 (0%)
Elvin Hayes
0 (0%)
Allen Iverson
0 (0%)
LeBron James
0 (0%)
Michael Jordan
16 (55.2%)
Karl Malone
0 (0%)
Moses Malone
0 (0%)
Dirk Nowitzki
0 (0%)
Hakeem Olajuwon
0 (0%)
Shaquille O'Neal
0 (0%)
Oscar Robertson
0 (0%)
Jerry West
0 (0%)
Dominique Wilkins
0 (0%)
other (please name below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Poll: Best scorer in NBA history  (Read 5253 times)

Re: Best scorer in NBA history
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta be Jordan. He did what he did while only taking 1778 three pointers his whole 15 year career.

As a comparison, modern day scorers like Steph Curry twice shot over 800 threes in a season and Harden had a year with over 1000 threes attempted.

MJ doing what he did while averaging only 1.7 threes taken per game for his career is eye popping
Let's say he shot about 6 threes a game, which at his % would make for about two made threes a game. That would add 4824 points to his total (37116). Add to that his years in retirement and his total would be way over 40k. I know this is "what if" history, but that's just crazy.
The thing is if you added six 3 point attempts you are likely taking away six 2 point attempts and thus the overall points wouldn't change that much since Jordan was such a good 2 point shooter (50.9%) and a mediocre 3 point shooter (32.7%).  He'd actually score less points given those percentages.
But given the original premise of being a great shooter that would have grown up in this era with these rules, the assumption is he would no longer be a 32.7% three point shooter.

I could see Jordan easily being a +40% 3point shooter if he grew up in this era. This would account for an increase in his career PPG of about 1.1-1.5 points(depending on actual 3PT% over 40% he would shoot) if you stick by the 6 more 3PTAs. That's a 3.6%-5.0% increase in his career PPG, which, given he leads the NBA in career PPG, is massive because the only guy within range of him, Wilt, probably wouldn't have developed a three point shot, so his PPG, wouldn't be affected.

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Gotta be Jordan. He did what he did while only taking 1778 three pointers his whole 15 year career.

As a comparison, modern day scorers like Steph Curry twice shot over 800 threes in a season and Harden had a year with over 1000 threes attempted.

MJ doing what he did while averaging only 1.7 threes taken per game for his career is eye popping
Let's say he shot about 6 threes a game, which at his % would make for about two made threes a game. That would add 4824 points to his total (37116). Add to that his years in retirement and his total would be way over 40k. I know this is "what if" history, but that's just crazy.
The thing is if you added six 3 point attempts you are likely taking away six 2 point attempts and thus the overall points wouldn't change that much since Jordan was such a good 2 point shooter (50.9%) and a mediocre 3 point shooter (32.7%).  He'd actually score less points given those percentages.
But given the original premise of being a great shooter that would have grown up in this era with these rules, the assumption is he would no longer be a 32.7% three point shooter.

I could see Jordan easily being a +40% 3point shooter if he grew up in this era. This would account for an increase in his career PPG of about 1.1-1.5 points(depending on actual 3PT% over 40% he would shoot) if you stick by the 6 more 3PTAs. That's a 3.6%-5.0% increase in his career PPG, which, given he leads the NBA in career PPG, is massive because the only guy within range of him, Wilt, probably wouldn't have developed a three point shot, so his PPG, wouldn't be affected.
It's not a given that he would have transformed into a +40% three point shooter. I mean, Kobe is the closest thing we've ever seen to MJ and he was a career 32.9% three point shooter in 4.1 attempts per game. Their career FT% (to a large extent, indicative of shooting prowess) is almost identical as well: 83.5 for MJ and 83.7 for Kobe.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:59:58 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

It's not a given that he would have transformed into a +40% three point shooter. I mean, Kobe is the closest thing we've ever seen to MJ and he was a career 32.9% three point shooter in 4.1 attempts per game. Their career FT% (to a large extent, indicative of shooting prowess) is almost identical as well: 83.5 for MJ and 83.7 for Kobe.

Its not given but its fairly reasonable. He was such a good player that with today's rules its going to be very hard to guard him. Most likely he would get a lot more open threes because of that.

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You realize your problem with this argument, right? Kobe is not MJ. A lot of Kobe's career was in the modern three point era. He practiced and shot a lot of 3 pointers in his career. MJ didn't. If MJ made it a priority to make the three pointer a weapon, I think he easily becomes a 40% shooter from deep.

Jordan's basketball intelligence and once in a half century sheer will to master anything he tried in the world of basketball, would have driven him to become an elite 3point shooter, IMO.

Re: Poll: Best scorer in NBA history
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I chose Wilt before I learned that Jordan and he had nearly identical career averages.

Either of those two has a legitimate claim.

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
MJ actually became an efficient three point shooter in his later Bulls years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he shot more 3pt shots at the same efficiency in this era.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

That thought did cross my mind. I guess if he shot more and practiced his % should have been higher, but then again, higher volume usually means lower efficiency.

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
MJ actually became an efficient three point shooter in his later Bulls years, so I wouldn't be surprised if he shot more 3pt shots at the same efficiency in this era.
Shorter three point line though no?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

You realize your problem with this argument, right? Kobe is not MJ. A lot of Kobe's career was in the modern three point era. He practiced and shot a lot of 3 pointers in his career. MJ didn't. If MJ made it a priority to make the three pointer a weapon, I think he easily becomes a 40% shooter from deep.

Jordan's basketball intelligence and once in a half century sheer will to master anything he tried in the world of basketball, would have driven him to become an elite 3point shooter, IMO.
Durant is a 38% shooter from 3.  I find it hard to believe that Jordan would 40+% even growing up today.  And if Jordan ended up with much better 3 point shooting he likely has no where near the overall 2 point game, especially mid-range.  Today, I think he looks like a cross between Harden and Kobe on the offensive end.  Probably a bit more efficient than those two, since he was better, but I don't think his game all of a sudden morphs into a Steph Curry or Ray Allen style of play. 

And the thing is only 49 players in history have a career 3 point % of 40 (many are active and early in their career like Duncan Robinson) or better of those only Allen, Nash, and Petrovic are in the HOF (and Petrovic did not have a clear HOF career without his death and international play) and Steph Curry will obviously be in the HOF.  That is it from real top level players.  There are some others with fine careers like Mark Price, Peja Stojakovic, and Klay Thompson, but by and large the truly great shooters in history are role players in the mold of players like Steve Kerr, Kyle Korver, Tim Legler, BJ Armstrong, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:31 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
True. I still think he becomes good three pointer shooter, if he had to.

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
True. I still think he becomes good three pointer shooter, if he had to.
Yeah, probably 37% or so on mid-high volume.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Interesting that we have a ton of voting options, 24 votes so far, yet only 3 players have gotten votes. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Interesting that we have a ton of voting options, 24 votes so far, yet only 3 players have gotten votes.
A system with 1-5 points would be more favorable for other candidates.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
I think it's just the fact that most people on here think MJ and Wilt are the clear winners, with some Bird love for some people.