Author Topic: Favorite Podcasts?  (Read 3066 times)

Favorite Podcasts?
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So I love podcasts. I listen to about 20-30 a week, and since I'm relatively new to them, I can 'binge listen' often.

Here are some of my favorites:

The BS Report
-Bill Simmons podcast, always good, sometimes just about amazing.

Hardcore History
-Picture Rush Limbaugh's bombastic delivery, coupled with a top-shelf historian doing a survey course of all the most interesting parts of human history, with great nuance and detail you just don't get in basic history courses. And every podcast is told like a story , not like a lecture, and he doesn't spare the gruesome parts. If you want a departing point, start with the multiparty series detailing the fall of Rome. It is very informative , but way more entertaining.

Harmontown
-Dan Harmon (creator of community) is pretty much an insane person, and a unapologetic alcoholic, and a bit of a jerk. He's also hilarious, vulnerable, and genuine. These podcasts are need worship at its finest, and top notch comedy. Lots of special guests, and a huge library online. Suggested you start with episode 1.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Favorite Podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:52:51 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Excellent.

I listen to the Simmons one depending on the guest and or topic. They're split into bit sized pieces on the Grantland YouTube channel.

2) Fresh Air on NPR
Terry Gross' in-depth interviews with prominent cultural and entertainment figures, as well as distinguished experts on current events. Smart Funny with good contributors

3) Micheal Feldman's "Whadya Know on PRI"
an American comedy, interview, and quiz radio show.

4) Wait Wait Don't Tell me NPR
NPR's weekly current events quiz.

5) The Podcast library at Folkways Smithsonian
http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_folkways/podcasts.aspx

They have a set of superb series regarding world. roots & folks music.

6) Here's The Thing: - WNYC Alec Baldwin's excellent podcast which is ending. He has an eclectic group. Dwight Gooden, Thom Yorke, Debbie Reynolds...etc.

I get various others This American Life, I relisten to Elliot Mintz Lost Lennon Tapes, they sort of count I guess.

I get them through my chrome news reader app and download to phone, or kindle or just listen as I work and pour the dirty commie pinko fruits of their collective liberalism over what's left of my soul.  ::)
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

Re: Favorite Podcasts?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Haha thanks for the list Eric. You should really check out hardcore history, I listened to it today as he detailed the rise of the Mongolian empire. Phenomenal.

I'll def check out the Alec Baldwin one, I get the feeling that it's going to make me hate him, but who knows..

All the other ones I already have in my weekly NPR-Heavy diet. Between 9-5, I don't miss a minute, and I never miss Wwdtm on Sundays!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner