Author Topic: Trading Rondo?!  (Read 2714 times)

Trading Rondo?!
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
So I've been reading a lot of Celtics fans saying they're actually willing to trade Rajon Rondo. That has me really surprised. So surprised that I made this account just to make a post about it. What benefit do the C's have AT ALL by trading Rondo?

Financially, Rondo's contract is one of the most team friendly contracts in the league. For how much he contributes, $11M is an absolute freaking bargain. To put it in perspective, Deandre Jordan gets paid about that much. In today's CBA, it is more important than ever to take advantage of these team friendly contracts.

As a personality, Rondo might be a bit too out of the park at times, but he embodies what it means to be a Celtic. He pours his heart out onto the court. He comes up big when it matters the most. And he hates his rivalries to death.

Now to the most important part: his skills on the court. When it comes to talking about the point guard position in its truest sense, I can't think of many other players in the league that fill that role better than Rondo. Rondo's one of the most cerebral minds in the game right now and it's scary to think he can flat out take entire games into his own hands when he's just 6'1/186. His defense has slid a bit in recent years as he's been gambling for steals more and more, but give me another point guard who willingly (and successfully) guards Lebron James. His midrange game has significantly improved, and he continues to finish around the rim well. He still has yet to develop a reliable perimeter game or free throw, but if Rondo had that, he'd break into a rare echelon of PG dominance that only Steve Nash or Chris Paul have probably scratched this past decade. And above all else, Rondo's a proven Heat killer.

With all this said, I really don't understand why some Celtics fans would want to dump Rondo for cents on the dollar (unless, of course, they really aren't Celtics fans). I mean, I've even seen people propose Rondo for Greivis flipping Vasquez and a draft pick. Outside of the 9 assists he gets, he virtually plays every other aspect of the game below average, especially defense. Honestly, people might as well start offering Garnett for Robin Lopez while they're at it. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:02:55 AM by rondoallaturca »

Re: Trading Rondo?!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Calling someone an untrue fan because they would trade Rondo?

Oh boy, shaking my head ???

The Rondo love is reaching an all-time fever pitch.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I must admit I'm a Rondo fan (in case my user name didn't give it away), but I've removed myself from any sort of chummy sentiments when it comes to this offseason. If someone said the same with Jeff Green, I'd have the same response. Green is in a similar situation: good player but not necessarily someone to build around, but an absolute keeper due to a favorable contract. Looking at everything from a completely unbiased view, it'd be absolutely ludicrous to trade away Rondo unless we're getting back a guy like CP3.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:36 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
So I've been reading a lot of Celtics fans saying they're actually willing to trade Rajon Rondo. That has me really surprised. So surprised that I made this account just to make a post about it. What benefit do the C's have AT ALL by trading Rondo?

Financially, Rondo's contract is one of the most team friendly contracts in the league. For how much he contributes, $11M is an absolute freaking bargain. To put it in perspective, Deandre Jordan gets paid about that much. In today's CBA, it is more important than ever to take advantage of these team friendly contracts.

As a personality, Rondo might be a bit too out of the park at times, but he embodies what it means to be a Celtic. He pours his heart out onto the court. He comes up big when it matters the most. And he hates his rivalries to death.

Now to the most important part: his skills on the court. When it comes to talking about the point guard position in its truest sense, I can't think of many other players in the league that fill that role better than Rondo. Rondo's one of the most cerebral minds in the game right now and it's scary to think he can flat out take entire games into his own hands when he's just 6'1/186. His defense has slid a bit in recent years as he's been gambling for steals more and more, but give me another point guard who willingly (and successfully) guards Lebron James. His midrange game has significantly improved, and he continues to finish around the rim well. He still has yet to develop a reliable perimeter game or free throw, but if Rondo had that, he'd break into a rare echelon of PG dominance that only Steve Nash or Chris Paul have probably scratched this past decade. And above all else, Rondo's a proven Heat killer.

With all this said, I really don't understand why some Celtics fans would want to trade Rondo (unless, of course, they really aren't Celtics fans). I mean, I've even seen people propose Rondo for Greivis flipping Vasquez and a draft pick. Outside of the 9 assists he gets, he virtually plays every other aspect of the game below average, especially defense. Honestly, people might as well start offering Garnett for Robin Lopez while they're at it.
thank you. finally someone with common sense. The heart of rondo is immeasurable by stats. How many players would dive for that loose ball even if theyre up by 20?

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Never trade Rondo.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 11:56:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Calling someone an untrue fan because they would trade Rondo?

I wouldn't call someone an untrue fan if they wanted to trade Rondo now.  I'd think they don't understand Rondo's value on the court and how trading him before he shows how much he will recover from his injury is minimizing Rondo's trade value, but I that doesn't make someone untrue.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
I care about the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back.

It all depends on the return.  I'm a fan of Rondo and will enjoy watching him wherever he goes.  But if trading Rondo is one of the steps that accelerates the rebuilding process and gets us back to contending for titles, then I'm all for it.   

That goes for any Celtic.  Nobody is untouchable if the return is favorable for the franchise as a whole.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That goes for any Celtic.  Nobody is untouchable if the return is favorable for the franchise as a whole.

Some people don't like it when I say that applies to Sullinger.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:04:40 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I altered that part of the post since I didn't want to give off the impression that I thought anyone who wanted to trade Rondo was an untrue Celtics fan. I agree with Atzar's viewpoint; I love Rondo and will follow him wherever he goes, but if the C's are able to get an APPROPRIATE haul for him, then I understand. The NBA is a business after all. I'm just dumbfounded that Rondo's worth has been reduced to the likes of Vasquez and a draft picks in the eyes of some.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders

Some people don't like it when I say that applies to Sullinger.

If somebody is offering good value for him, then I'd trade him just like anybody else.  However, I do think it's pretty unlikely that you get a good offer for him, given his current injury (which could be a long-term red flag).

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Gosh, if the right trade came up with Sullinger, I'd do it in a heartbeat. He's got an absolutely phenomenal personality, and an even greater work ethic, but there's no way he would've fallen that far if one simple surgery would fix what doctors described as a career-long issue.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
People on this board have over analyzed every single aspect of the Celtics so much that many have somehow convinced themselves that Rondo should be used as trade bait.

Dont worry dude, most Celtic fans recognize how incredible he is.

I for one would not trade Rondo for anyone. I dont like Lebron and I think Rondo will win more titles than Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, and Derrick Rose.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I care about the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back.

It all depends on the return.  I'm a fan of Rondo and will enjoy watching him wherever he goes.  But if trading Rondo is one of the steps that accelerates the rebuilding process and gets us back to contending for titles, then I'm all for it.   

But thats just so illogical. Rondo is better than any player he would bring back in a trade and any sum of draft picks the celtics would hypothetically receive for him.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders

But thats just so illogical. Rondo is better than any player he would bring back in a trade and any sum of draft picks the celtics would hypothetically receive for him.

Read the bolded again. 

It's not illogical at all to consider all options.  You miss opportunities if you have a closed mind.  It IS illogical to treat a possibility as if it is a certainty, like you did in your post. 

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Asserting that Rondo is better than any player he'd bring  back (directly or in draft picks) is equally, if not more illogical, especially owing to his ACL injury.

Now, you can say that trading Rondo straight up for any other point guard in the league is a bad idea. That's probably true. Do you similarly veto a trade Rondo for a LaMarcus Aldridge/Kevin Love/DMC-level big?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.