Author Topic: If it Comes to it, What is IT's Trade Value?  (Read 5163 times)

Re: If it Comes to it, What is IT's Trade Value?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
If it comes down to trading IT I suspect his value will be similar to that of Ibaka. This may be a hard pill for many to swallow.

Ibaka trade value on draft night = Oladipo + Ilyasova + #11 Pick (Sabonis)

Ibaka trade value at deadline = Ross + #25

I fear IT may actually have a slightly lower value based off of positional value. As good as IT is he plays a position that is easily filled in the current NBA. Most teams have a starting caliber PG and this draft will likely add another 3-4 to the league. Ibaka players perhaps the toughest position to fill in the modern NBA with a skill set that is very unique. Very few players are capable of providing rim protection with solid switching ability and can stretch the floor on offense.

As for possible trades based around the above value I see the following as viable but very unlikely (not factoring in FA implications and summer cap options). 

Draft night trades for IT

Dallas trades Powell or Harris + #9 (really depends on how they review Curry and Ferrell long term)

Detriot trades Morris (ugh) or Johnson + #12 ( they seem to want a win now trade)

Orlando trades Watson + #6      (doubt they go down this road again after Ibaka mess)

The deadline deals are tough to guess at because of the draft and FA variables.

The Orlando GM got fired. I bet the main reason behind that decision was the Ibaka trade. Don't see any GM making the same mistake this year.

Imo, IT for Saric (or IT for #9) is as good of a return as we could possibly expect for IT.
I think the Biyombo signing was worse than the Ibaka trade. If they had spent that money on a decent shooter they might have had a vry different year.

IT for Saric might indeed be the best the C's could hope for if they did decide to shop him. IT for Aaron Gordon might also be worth doing if Orlando's new GM wanted to win some games now. But this is only if the C's decide IT's next contract can't be stomached.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: If it Comes to it, What is IT's Trade Value?
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Would you trade IT for Aaron Gordon and the #6?

Immediately. Gordon is showing signs of breakout potential.

I wouldn't even hesitate just for Magic's 6th pick and hope that Jonathan Issac is Kevin Durant 2.0.

Right now we're in a very awkward position:

We're not good enough to compete with Warriors, Cavs now and by the time those team's sun has set, we might not be good enough to compete with Bucks, Sixers, Timberwolves.

Trading IT for a kid with a high upside is a very low risk move and a no brainer to me.

Unfortunately, Magic would never do it. They would be even more of a laughing stock than Billy King. At least for Billy, at the time of the trade, people thought he was a genius assembling such a high talent roster.