Author Topic: Something has to change. Suggestions?  (Read 7219 times)

Re: Something has to change. Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 04:06:56 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Nothing.

This team is broken.

1) Celtics are dependent on two older HOF to be their primary scorers. Waiting for someone else to step up.

2) Remember this was supposed to be Rondo's MVP worthy season. Yeah, me neither. I have given up on him ever improving as a scorer.

3) Jeff Green experiment has been a failure. He is Mr. Average. $36million flushed down the toilet.

4) Out of rotation players, only Garnett has shot blocking abilities. Teams have free passes to the rim when Garnett sits. Might be time to cal up Melo.

5) Not enough quality three point shooters on the roster. Majority of the three pointers come from Pierce and Terry.

5) They are the worst rebounding team in the league.

jeff had a good game. he was one of the leading scorers today with 16. id rather have him over any forward coming off the bench today.

YEA 16 PTS on 29% Shooting.....

name a better sf off the bench than jeff first

I agree that he's our best SF off the bench, but he didn't have a good game: 5 of 17 shooting (1 of 4 from 3pt range) with only 3 rebounds and 1 assist. Not good at all.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:00 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I want to see more Rondo-Pierce-Green-Sullinger-KG.  I think that is our most talented lineup of players. In fact, I think that should be our starting lineup.  We need Green and Sully to be big contributors if we want to win (ex. Brooklyn on Xmas).  I think they need more reps with our Big 3 and they definitely should be the group closing out the game.  Plus, this causes some mismatches for us as Pierce is way to big and crafty to be handled in the post by most SGs, and Green is a tough post matchup for most SFs.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Rose got hurt and Bosh missed the first 5 games of the mia/bos series?When Bosh came back Miami wins the next 2 games.

If rose doesn't get hurt, the c's are out in the 2nd round last year IMO.
Exactly right.  Fun as our run was.

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Whatever Danny does, I hope it's all about building for our NEXT window.  This one's closed, so don't bring in bandaids to make us marginally better, but don't get us to real championship contention with the KG-PP core.  No Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk type moves, period.  If he can hoodwink somebody into giving up a young piece that can be a part of our rebuild going forward, then great, but at this point, I'm about the rebuild.

What I think Danny will do is sit back, and see just what kind of impact Avery will have, and within 3 weeks he'll have an idea.  By the third week of January, I suspect Danny will have decided what direction to take the team.  Essentially, I mean he'll have decided whether this team can still contend this year, or if the rebuild has begun in earnest, although we're a bit hamstrung by the decisions he made in the summer to go for it again this year (but I can't fault him for that, close as we got to the finals).  Still, as rondohondo pointed out, if Rose doesn't get injured last year, we were a second round out.

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Whatever Danny does, I hope it's all about building for our NEXT window.  This one's closed, so don't bring in bandaids to make us marginally better, but don't get us to real championship contention with the KG-PP core.  No Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk type moves, period.  If he can hoodwink somebody into giving up a young piece that can be a part of our rebuild going forward, then great, but at this point, I'm about the rebuild.

What I think Danny will do is sit back, and see just what kind of impact Avery will have, and within 3 weeks he'll have an idea.  By the third week of January, I suspect Danny will have decided what direction to take the team.  Essentially, I mean he'll have decided whether this team can still contend this year, or if the rebuild has begun in earnest, although we're a bit hamstrung by the decisions he made in the summer to go for it again this year (but I can't fault him for that, close as we got to the finals).  Still, as rondohondo pointed out, if Rose doesn't get injured last year, we were a second round out.

I agree.  If anything, it's better that Danny's midseason trading be all for the future--and depress their record for the remainder of the year.  The C's could use a top-10 pick.

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Nothing.

This team is broken.

1) Celtics are dependent on two older HOF to be their primary scorers. Waiting for someone else to step up.

2) Remember this was supposed to be Rondo's MVP worthy season. Yeah, me neither. I have given up on him ever improving as a scorer.

3) Jeff Green experiment has been a failure. He is Mr. Average. $36million flushed down the toilet.

4) Out of rotation players, only Garnett has shot blocking abilities. Teams have free passes to the rim when Garnett sits. Might be time to cal up Melo.

5) Not enough quality three point shooters on the roster. Majority of the three pointers come from Pierce and Terry.

jeff had a good game. he was one of the leading scorers today with 16. id rather have him over any forward coming off the bench today.

He played hard, but 16 points on 17 shots is far from a good game.

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nothing.

This team is broken.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty good take.

Ainge has built a team out of square pegs that simply don't fit in any of the numerous gaping holes in this club.

Any short-term fix has to focus on defense and protecting the rim, but I wonder, frankly, if this thing can be fixed after three of what are clearly the worst performances since Garnett got to town.

All other concerns aside, this team simply cannot defend competently, and that is concern number one. That's not going to change when you add an undersized two with two bad shoulders.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Serious response; most likely what has to change is fans' expectations. 

If you look at the make up of our roster, it simply is not that good.  We're an old jump shooting team with one B level star  in rondo and two aging used to be stars.  We have zero I side defensive presence outside of kg.  The rest of the team is made up of just guys.

then how did we come within one quarter of playing in the finals last season ? are these miscellaneous parts (Green, Terry, Lee) such misfits for the Garnett Celtics style that they have ended up hurting more than helping ?

Rose got hurt and Bosh missed the first 5 games of the mia/bos series?When Bosh came back Miami wins the next 2 games.

incorrect. we beat miami WITH bosh in game 5. we were in game 7. That is the game bosh had an impact at the end. not 5 and 6. 6 was all lebum.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
I think we should try to trade Jason Terry. He just does not fit in with the team. No knock on him, it is just a bad fit. I also am beginning to think we may want to have Pierce be the sixth man and let Green start. It sounds nuts but I think that Jeff Green would be a lot better starting then coming off the bench. Also he should never play the four.
I think that once Bradley gets back we go with a starting line up of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and KG. Sullinger has earned the starting job, he has been really consistent. I would actually like to see them run some plays for him. I think he could give them 13 and 8 if he got 30 minutes a game. Let Pierce be the sixth man, I think he would thrive in the role and still get solid minutes. Somehow I think this would make us very hard to deal with. A back up squad of Lee, Terry, Pierce and Bass along with whoever at the five would be a load to deal with.

Tommy Point for solving from within.  As a huge Paul Pierce fan, I concede his time for handing off to someone else has come.  I would even accept a trade.  I can't imagine how we could trade him in a deal that benefits us now, though. 

Does anyone remember when the "C" came off Pierce's Jersey?
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Serious response; most likely what has to change is fans' expectations. 

If you look at the make up of our roster, it simply is not that good.  We're an old jump shooting team with one B level star  in rondo and two aging used to be stars.  We have zero I side defensive presence outside of kg.  The rest of the team is made up of just guys.

then how did we come within one quarter of playing in the finals last season ? are these miscellaneous parts (Green, Terry, Lee) such misfits for the Garnett Celtics style that they have ended up hurting more than helping ?

This could be true, but  injuries happen.  If Lebron hadn't gone unconscious and delivered a performance he may never match, the Celts would have been in the finals, despite no AB, who, without being a star, reminded the Celtics who they are, or are supposed to be... Add AB, playoffs level Rondo, and KG at bigger minutes post season, and we,'re back in business.  this team isn't built for the regular season...  If we can add a center I'm all for it, but don't forget what Miami did to Ok. City with Perk and Ibaka. Miami beat us by a hair and crushed Ok. City.

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Ainge has built a team out of square pegs that simply don't fit in any of the numerous gaping holes in this club.

Danny did bring in Krstic and Darko.  The only person on the Celtics who had anything to do with those guys leaving the team is Doc.  Danny also brought in an athletic wing in Green and I'll ask the question again...how many times has Boston ever run a play for Green?  Danny also brought in a 6th-man who's been one of the best bench players in the league the last several years.  It's not Danny's fault Doc tried to turn him into Ray Allen Jr.  And outside of Sully, every guy on this team has at least been capable of playing mediocre NBA defense during their careers.

This may not be a championship-level team, but there's clearly enough talent here to be better than this team has been so far this year.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Nothing.

This team is broken.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty good take.

Any short-term fix has to focus on defense and protecting the rim, but I wonder, frankly, if this thing can be fixed after three of what are clearly the worst performances since Garnett got to town.

All other concerns aside, this team simply cannot defend competently, and that is concern number one. That's not going to change when you add an undersized two with two bad shoulders.

The worst three straight performances since 1977 according to CNNSE

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Danny did bring in Krstic and Darko.  The only person on the Celtics who had anything to do with those guys leaving the team is Doc.  Danny also brought in an athletic wing in Green and I'll ask the question again...how many times has Boston ever run a play for Green?  Danny also brought in a 6th-man who's been one of the best bench players in the league the last several years.  It's not Danny's fault Doc tried to turn him into Ray Allen Jr.  And outside of Sully, every guy on this team has at least been capable of playing mediocre NBA defense during their careers.

This may not be a championship-level team, but there's clearly enough talent here to be better than this team has been so far this year.

Mike

All true, but the Doc buck stops with Danny.

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
1. get bradley back
2. try to make a move for a good big man
3. try an add a defensive minded assistant coach that can fill the thibs/frank role