Author Topic: This year's Big rotation better than last years  (Read 7210 times)

Re: This year's Big rotation better than last years
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 07:14:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Horford 6'8" 9' SR
Mook 6'7"
Baynes 6'10"
Bob Williams 6'10"
Theis 6'8"
Yabu 6'7"
Baynes 6'10"

Tacko 7'7" 10'2" SR 290 pounds
Timelord 6'10 7'5" wingspan 9'4" SR
Pourier 6'11"  7'3" wingspan
Kanter 6'10" 9'2" SR 260 pounds 7'2" WS
Theis 6'8"
Grant Williams 6'6" 6'11" WS 8'6" SR
Tatum 6'8" 9' SR

Williams is unproven against NBA competition, so is Pourier, Tacko is unproven as well.,Timelord looks like he is making progress. 
We know what Theis is, Kanter is good to decent but none of these guy can match what Al brought to the table.

Our post offense might be better with Kanter and he is a better rebounder.   The defensive side of the ball, I just don't see  us being better but I hope I am wrong.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Far Out Freddie is more apropos.   This is one of the zanier post and to have it hinge on Tacko Fall who is unlikely to make the team and even if he does won't see meaningful minutes. 

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 07:21:15 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
The rotation will not be better without Horford... people really take him for granted, with how much easier he makes the game for his teammates. There's a reason Philly forked out $30m to get him.

That being said, I do think we'll be good, but it'll be hinged on Theis having a career year... most of the other bigs can't play together nor can they space the floor. Theis can be a legitimate PF and move to small ball C that can shoot 3s

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Our Defense won't be better but the offense certainly will. Count me as one of those who think the Cs will balance things off by trying to outscored their opponents instead of stopping them outright..

Kemba in some sense is a unique scorer unlike Kyrie. Kemba was scoring at will despite being the lone focus of the defense, teams can't do that with us because Kanter, Hayward the Js and even Smart are very capable offensive weapons that can be counted upon should teams gang up on KW.

I'm not too high anymore with Al... He is getting up there in age (same age as Howard) and I expect him to slowdown a bit more. Our bigs should be fine but me think it depends on TimeLord and not on Tacko. RW must take gigantic leap forward.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Kanter theis and a bunch of unproven players cannot be better than any combination with Horford

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 08:34:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The rotation will not be better without Horford... people really take him for granted, with how much easier he makes the game for his teammates. There's a reason Philly forked out $30m $109m to get him.

That being said, I do think we'll be good, but it'll be hinged on Theis having a career year... most of the other bigs can't play together nor can they space the floor. Theis can be a legitimate PF and move to small ball C that can shoot 3s
FIFY

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
It’s summer time and the heat is getting to the northerners, again. We now officially have more then one, I’m confident I can say a group of people who are claiming that a Tacko Fall and Wilt “I scored 100 points in a game” chamberlain comp is not preposterous.

This is the world we live in, buckle up and enjoy the ride.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'll be interested to see how this group performs. Our guards and wings are well above average so we just need our bigs not to suck. While Kanter isn't known for his defense, he should be able to guard well down low and grab lots of rebounds. I don't think we are losing much, if anything, on offense with him over Horford (Hayward will take over the front-court playmaking).

Poirier will likely play the Baynes role. Theis should be a less injured Theis. And hopefully TL will be able to provide some quality limited minutes by the end of the season. I do not think Tacko will make the team.

I know Morris was a big part of our rotation last season, but Hayward and Tatum will be eating up most of those minutes with Grant/Theis there for back-up.

Overall, I expect us to perform at least as well as last year on the whole (the entire team, not just bigs) with an okay chance at going to the ECF should we be hitting our stride at the right time.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
While the "Wilt" comparison is certainly a stretch (no pun intended!), at the same point in their careers it's not preposterous!  Wilt was 7'0" 260 coming out of college.  Tacko 7'7" 310.  With the height difference, roughly equivalent.  Neither has a shot, can't shoot FT's, and score by "outbigging" their opponents.  Now as Wilt continued to develope physically, he became truly a beast, in a time where even seven footers were very rare.  He did develope his patented low post fall away bank shot and that served him very well over the years.  But I think we all tend to compare current Tacko with what Wilt turned out to be, instead of the player he was right out of school.
Can Tacko develope into more of that same kind of player?  Good question.  I think he has the mobility and athleticism to do it.  He's not some uncoordinated twig.  Let's give him some developmental time---WITH US---and see!  Go C's...Go Tacko!
Wilt at this stage was already an Olympic level track & field athlete with borderline inhuman strength for someone his age. Neither of those can describe Tacko.

Wilt had a near 50" vertical according to some! I think it certainly is preposterous
Of course Wilt has no real comparisons, as his height and strength were not in lock step with other NBA players of his time.  Centers averaged about 6'8" when he came into the league and they (and most players) at that time were FAR less athletic than the average NBA player today, giving him huge advantages every nite.  Also, Wilt almost NEVER came out of a game, averaging nearly 46/47 minutes a game for whole seasons.
No player again will probably ever have the advantage he did against the average NBA player!  He was awesome, and it always seemed "unfair" watching him play---a huge man against "boys"!

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think the big issue last year was Baynes was eternally hurt. I think it really hurt the team defense. I like Baynes but his injuries were concerning last year.

I do like Kanter for the money they got him at. Poirier might be this year’s Theis find and Theis might actually be healthy. It’s not totally abysmal but they can at least start the season and see how it goes. Horford is a loss no doubt about it though. That one stings.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think the big issue last year was Baynes was eternally hurt. I think it really hurt the team defense. I like Baynes but his injuries were concerning last year.

I do like Kanter for the money they got him at. Poirier might be this year’s Theis find and Theis might actually be healthy. It’s not totally abysmal but they can at least start the season and see how it goes. Horford is a loss no doubt about it though. That one stings.

I was just going to mention Theis.  Hopefully he is more like his rookie season when he was healthy.

None of us really know about Poirier unless if you were watching his games overseas.  Maybe he is an X factor.

If Kanter is at least passable on defense then he will be very good for us.

R Williams passing ability is very promising if you want to run some sets through him.  Still has a ways to go with positional defense.

I doubt our bigs will be as good as last year, but I had cold feet paying Horford the money he got in Philly at age 33.  That might turn out to be a wise move.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 10:02:57 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
While the "Wilt" comparison is certainly a stretch (no pun intended!), at the same point in their careers it's not preposterous!  Wilt was 7'0" 260 coming out of college.  Tacko 7'7" 310.  With the height difference, roughly equivalent.  Neither has a shot, can't shoot FT's, and score by "outbigging" their opponents.  Now as Wilt continued to develope physically, he became truly a beast, in a time where even seven footers were very rare.  He did develope his patented low post fall away bank shot and that served him very well over the years.  But I think we all tend to compare current Tacko with what Wilt turned out to be, instead of the player he was right out of school.
Can Tacko develope into more of that same kind of player?  Good question.  I think he has the mobility and athleticism to do it.  He's not some uncoordinated twig.  Let's give him some developmental time---WITH US---and see!  Go C's...Go Tacko!
Wilt at this stage was already an Olympic level track & field athlete with borderline inhuman strength for someone his age. Neither of those can describe Tacko.

Wilt had a near 50" vertical according to some! I think it certainly is preposterous
Of course Wilt has no real comparisons, as his height and strength were not in lock step with other NBA players of his time.  Centers averaged about 6'8" when he came into the league and they (and most players) at that time were FAR less athletic than the average NBA player today, giving him huge advantages every nite.  Also, Wilt almost NEVER came out of a game, averaging nearly 46/47 minutes a game for whole seasons.
No player again will probably ever have the advantage he did against the average NBA player!  He was awesome, and it always seemed "unfair" watching him play---a huge man against "boys"!

Staying on the Wilt comparison - at age 25 Wilt averaged over 50 ppg, 25 rpg and amazingly 48.5 mpg!  Truly unbelievable.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think LeBron is he Wilt of our generation.   Dominant, a physical beast who was not a winner.

Tacko should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Wilt.

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
While the "Wilt" comparison is certainly a stretch (no pun intended!), at the same point in their careers it's not preposterous! Wilt was 7'0" 260 coming out of college.  Tacko 7'7" 310.  With the height difference, roughly equivalent.  Neither has a shot, can't shoot FT's, and score by "outbigging" their opponents.  Now as Wilt continued to develope physically, he became truly a beast, in a time where even seven footers were very rare.  He did develope his patented low post fall away bank shot and that served him very well over the years.  But I think we all tend to compare current Tacko with what Wilt turned out to be, instead of the player he was right out of school.
yes it is preposterous. please, review wilt's stats before posting statements such as this.

FOR HIS CAREER, WILT AVERAGED 30 POINTS AND 23 REBOUNDS A GAME! as a ROOKIE he averaged 37.6 points and 27 rebounds a game.

wilt once averaged 50 points for a season! oh, and he averaged 4.4 assists a game for his career as well, his best year being 8.6 assists a game.

yes, it is preposterous to think that our beloved Tacko might even come remotely close to these numbers. i like Tacko, he is a good story and i root for him. but this is quickly entering silly-world to compare him to wilt.

if Tacko actually has a career in the nba i consider it a success.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I severely doubt it. 

Horford & Baynes are going to be greatly missed.  There are going to be plenty of growing pains in the front court this season, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team