Author Topic: If this year is a wash then let's go out with a 3 pt barrage  (Read 8920 times)

Re: If this year is a wash then let's go out with a 3 pt barrage
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
u got to be kidding me.  two of our best young talent are post players (KO and Sully)....we need them to get real nba experience

They aren't NBA post players.  Sully doesn't have the length and athleticism to score in the post against longer, athletic players (which would be a large percentage of what he will face in the NBA), and Olynyk doesn't have the strength to hold position in the post, at least not at this point in his career.

Both of these guys are better suited to primarily be face-up players in the NBA, who can go in the post against mismatches.

I don't think you have any proof of that at all do you?

Already stating that they can't be NBA post players is ridiculous. You're telling me that guys like Zach Randolph, Carl Landry, David West, Carlos boozer arent good post players? Same height and pretty much frame of sully.

I'm sure I could go through a similar list for Kelly as well. Especially since you know he's like 2 weeks into his NBA career so I domt know if you can definitely say that he can't be a post player.

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
u got to be kidding me.  two of our best young talent are post players (KO and Sully)....we need them to get real nba experience

They aren't NBA post players.  Sully doesn't have the length and athleticism to score in the post against longer, athletic players (which would be a large percentage of what he will face in the NBA), and Olynyk doesn't have the strength to hold position in the post, at least not at this point in his career.

Both of these guys are better suited to primarily be face-up players in the NBA, who can go in the post against mismatches.

I don't think you have any proof of that at all do you?

Already stating that they can't be NBA post players is ridiculous. You're telling me that guys like Zach Randolph, Carl Landry, David West, Carlos boozer arent good post players? Same height and pretty much frame of sully.

I'm sure I could go through a similar list for Kelly as well. Especially since you know he's like 2 weeks into his NBA career so I domt know if you can definitely say that he can't be a post player.

I think Zach Randolph is both longer than Sully, and certainly more athletic.  Boozer is definitely taller than Sully, and definitely more athletic.  David West is much more of a pick and roll big man than a low post threat (and for that matter, Randolph is most effective in the high post). 

Carl Landry is also more athletic than Sully, but is probably the closest comparison, because he is also smaller.  But Landry isn't really a low post player.  He can attack mismatches in the post, but does most of his damage in the high post, in the pick and roll, and on the perimeter.

And that is the same thing with Sully.  He can absolutely attack the post, when he gets a smaller man on him, a la Eric Williams.  But, against the average PF or C in the NBA, he is much more effective facing the basket, where he can shoot, drive, pass, or back his man down. 

Olynyk.  He is just a skinny guy, who can't hold position.  He is Spencer Hawes when he left school.  There is a reason we haven't seen him post up much so far.

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Sully isn't tall but he's a widebody. If he can figure out how to use his bulk to carve out space when he's shooting he could be fairly effective on the post.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
So far, it's happening. The C's have become a jump shooting team.

Thus, games with a high 3pt percentage = a win. Others, a loss.

This puts us in a position to have a ~35 to at best, a 45 win season.