Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 18121 times)

Re: 2023-24 MLB Offseason
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2024, 12:36:12 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
The hits keep on coming. The big free agent signing this year, Giolito, is likely out for the year as he is going to need surgery on his UCL.

Did they not give the guy a physical beforehand?

Lol of course... feel bad for Giolito but my god did the Red Sox even do their homework on him??

Amateur hour...the gang that couldn't shoot straight.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2024, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Giolito, 29, was one of just three free agent signings by the Red Sox over the winter, alongside reliever Liam Hendriks -- who is expected to miss most, if not all, of 2024 after undergoing Tommy John surgery -- and right-hander Cooper Criswell. While Red Sox chairman Tom Werner had suggested at the outset of the winter that the team would take a "full throttle" approach to free agency, Giolito's two-year, $38.5 million contract represented more than three-quarters of their $49.5 million outlay, which ranks 13th in Major League Baseball.

Lol.  So, that's an F- in free agency.

What did we do for trades?  Dumped Sale, dumped Verdugo, and traded for a banged up Tyler O'Neill.  D+.

I think my favorite move of the off-season is signing C.J. Cron to a minor league deal.   

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2024, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
So the Sox are paying Giolito + Sale a combined 36.5M for 2024. Grissom is hurt and likely not ready for Opening Day.

Meanwhile watch Sale go 180+ innings for the Braves this season. He already has looked electric in ST.

Disaster. I didn't have any optimism going into the season and now I just don't care. This team had obvious needs at pitching and all they literally ended up doing was trading away Sale. That's it. It's the same rotation and then just praying your bullpen fills the holes and does more (aka get overworked). Pathetic.

I might just need to find a few more hobbies to do over the summer once the Bruins/Celtics playoff runs end 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2024, 03:31:33 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Yeah, brutal. The good news its the Red Sox and not the Celtics or even Patriots (though last year was brutal as a Pats fan). Such a stark contrast between the Celtics/Bruins and the Patriots/Red Sox. At least the latter teams have had 10 championships since 2000.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:37:34 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2024, 09:01:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Hm, Ohtani's interpreter was fired by the Dodgers amid allegations of massive theft.  ???

Shohei gets married and starts checking his bank account and all of a sudden this happens lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2024, 06:39:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Hm, Ohtani's interpreter was fired by the Dodgers amid allegations of massive theft.  ???

Shohei gets married and starts checking his bank account and all of a sudden this happens lol
or he knew about it and paid it directly.  Or the interpreter was doing it for Ohtani.  Or who the heck knows the truth.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2024, 08:47:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I will say the fact that there are at least 2 wires directly from Ohtani account means Ohtani should be suspended because that is a prettu clear violation of league rules.  It is very hard to wire funds in a theft situation, which is why I just don't believe there was a theft.

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2024, 08:58:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I will say the fact that there are at least 2 wires directly from Ohtani account means Ohtani should be suspended because that is a prettu clear violation of league rules.  It is very hard to wire funds in a theft situation, which is why I just don't believe there was a theft.

I'm not familiar with the process.  Why is it particularly hard to steal funds through wire transfer?  In spy thrillers they always make it look easy, haha.

Does it take more than knowing somebody's accounts and passwords?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2024, 09:09:52 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I'm not familiar with the process.  Why is it particularly hard to steal funds through wire transfer?  In spy thrillers they always make it look easy, haha.

Does it take more than knowing somebody's accounts and passwords?

Yeah, if you know someone’s passwords it is not difficult to send wires assuming they were sent online.  That said, I don’t believe Ohtani didn’t authorize the wires even if someone else clicked the mouse buttons.  Why else would he have said he sent the money himself?

It’s all very odd.  Best I’ve got is the interpreter told him he lost 4.5 million, and Ohtani came away believing it was 4.5 million yen.

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2024, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Sorry but given how things went with Pete Rose, and even looking at other greats like Tom Brady getting investigated hard by the league over something like Deflategate, there should be no reason Ohtani doesn't get investigated. If not, the league and Manfred deserves all the heat for the hypocrisy.

This is also gonna be a cloud over the Dodgers and Ohtani this season whether they like it or not.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:50:37 AM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2024, 10:03:36 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Sorry but given how things went with Pete Rose, and even looking at other greats like Tom Brady getting investigated hard by the league over something like Deflategate, there should be no reason Ohtani doesn't get investigated. If not, the league and Manfred deserves all the heat for the hypocrisy.

This is also gonna be a cloud over the Dodgers and Ohtani this season whether they like it or not.

I have a feeling there will be an investigation, although I do think they’ll make it as private as possible.  It’s not at all equivalent to Tom Brady, which was a hit job, nor should Tom Brady be compared to Pete Rose, because that makes it sound like Pete Rose did little wrong.

My guess is Ohtani will come out okay from MLB, because there have been no indications that any bets were placed on baseball, which is the cardinal sin.  He might have law enforcement issues, which can become visa issues, so he’s not in the clear.  But if he gets past those two hurdles, baseball will let him stay.

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2024, 10:20:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I have a feeling there will be an investigation, although I do think they’ll make it as private as possible.  It’s not at all equivalent to Tom Brady, which was a hit job, nor should Tom Brady be compared to Pete Rose, because that makes it sound like Pete Rose did little wrong.

My guess is Ohtani will come out okay from MLB, because there have been no indications that any bets were placed on baseball, which is the cardinal sin.  He might have law enforcement issues, which can become visa issues, so he’s not in the clear.  But if he gets past those two hurdles, baseball will let him stay.

Oh I'm not saying he'll be done with baseball. But like, a suspension or something should still be in play pending investigation.

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2024, 10:36:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Oh I'm not saying he'll be done with baseball. But like, a suspension or something should still be in play pending investigation.

Only if he broke a rule, and my gut says he didn’t unless he also broke a law, in which case he’s in bigger trouble anyway, so a suspension is moot.  Right now it seems he paid a bookie on behalf of another MLB team employee — yes that employee is his friend, but he was also a staff member hired by the Angels (at the time) to assist him.

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2024, 10:38:56 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I have a feeling there will be an investigation, although I do think they’ll make it as private as possible. It’s not at all equivalent to Tom Brady, which was a hit job, nor should Tom Brady be compared to Pete Rose, because that makes it sound like Pete Rose did little wrong.

You sure as hell got that right.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2024, 11:27:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Ohtani transferred 1 million dollars to an illegal bookmaker.  That is pretty clearly a rule violation even if he wasn't the one gambling. 

And it seems pretty obvious he knew what was going on.  I mean think about this.  Mizuhara told ESPN he got into trouble and Ohtani paid his 4.5 million in debts.  Then when it became apparent that was a rule violation, the story changed and it was stolen.  But to believe that you'd have to believe Ohtani didn't see direct transfers to the bookie of 1 million dollars and that 3.5 million in other money also disappeared without him knowing.  And if you are covering your tracks on a theft, why would you pay the bookie directly.  You'd steal that million the same way you stole the other 3.5 million and not create a paper trail. 

I also find it really hard to believe there wasn't a single bet on baseball.  It might very well be the first time ever a compulsive gambling had inside information didn't use it when chasing a massive debt. 

The MLB absolutely has to suspend Ohtani for so.e period of time. If they don't a flood gate will open.  They have to send a very strong message immediately.