Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 18109 times)

Re: 2023-24 MLB Offseason
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 01:04:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Meanwhile the Dodgers have undergone baseball's first billion dollar offseason with the $325m signing of Yoshinobu Yamamoto to go with the $700m for Shohei.

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/yamamoto-ohtani-dodgers-mlb-52a03883?mod=hp_lead_pos11
and the off season ain't over yet.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Amazing how an ownership that has won 4 titles in 20 years has managed to almost completely alienate their fanbase.

It's because they don't seem to care. Totally uninterested in their baseball team, much more interested in Liverpool and the Penguins. But yes they're paying attention to the Benjamins rolling in.

30 teams wanted Yamamoto. 29 teams failed to get Yamamoyo. did all 29 of those teams not "care?" did the mets, whose offer the dodgers matched, not care? did the yamkees who offered $300 million not care? or SF who also begged yamamoto to please take $300 million of their money?

in the typical lamenting of red sox fans we can twist this into "cheap sox ownership" and poor baseball operations. but really it was neither of those things.

the sox were always the longest of shots to land a free agent who was coveted by both the dicky dodgers and the MFY.

with distance and perspective, we will recognize that the team and fans that will find this news terrifying are those following the yankees. the evil empire has migrated west and the MFY were left behind in the same way they routinely left behind other teams.

the stinky yankees pulled out every stop in their pursuit of yamamoto and were leaking through the media that they “were feeling good” about their chances. it is now obvious that they (and all teams but the dodgers) never stood a chance.

it is quite clear that the dodgers told yamamoto to go get the very best offer he could find and they would match it. so, he got the desperate mets to go to $325, and the dodgers matched it as promised, opt outs included.

yamamoto went where he always wanted to be. in this new world when the Dodgers want someone, THEY are now the team that gets him. Mookie? sure. ohtani? easy peasy, it's only money. and now yamamoto.

this very distressing for a MFY fan. (the silver lining i suppose).

us sox fans? this has long been the way for us. twist it how you want, it is disappointing, but it was not a lack of "care" by sox owners.

How do you explain the Sox having the 13th highest payroll last year, then?  Despite the third highest revenue and operating income?

The Sox aren't going to land every top free agent.  Neither are the Dodgers.  There's plenty of talent out there, but the Sox aren't spending for it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 03:35:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Amazing how an ownership that has won 4 titles in 20 years has managed to almost completely alienate their fanbase.

It's because they don't seem to care. Totally uninterested in their baseball team, much more interested in Liverpool and the Penguins. But yes they're paying attention to the Benjamins rolling in.

30 teams wanted Yamamoto. 29 teams failed to get Yamamoyo. did all 29 of those teams not "care?" did the mets, whose offer the dodgers matched, not care? did the yamkees who offered $300 million not care? or SF who also begged yamamoto to please take $300 million of their money?

in the typical lamenting of red sox fans we can twist this into "cheap sox ownership" and poor baseball operations. but really it was neither of those things.

the sox were always the longest of shots to land a free agent who was coveted by both the dicky dodgers and the MFY.

with distance and perspective, we will recognize that the team and fans that will find this news terrifying are those following the yankees. the evil empire has migrated west and the MFY were left behind in the same way they routinely left behind other teams.

the stinky yankees pulled out every stop in their pursuit of yamamoto and were leaking through the media that they “were feeling good” about their chances. it is now obvious that they (and all teams but the dodgers) never stood a chance.

it is quite clear that the dodgers told yamamoto to go get the very best offer he could find and they would match it. so, he got the desperate mets to go to $325, and the dodgers matched it as promised, opt outs included.

yamamoto went where he always wanted to be. in this new world when the Dodgers want someone, THEY are now the team that gets him. Mookie? sure. ohtani? easy peasy, it's only money. and now yamamoto.

us sox fans? this has long been the way for us. twist it how you want, it is disappointing, but it was not a lack of "care" by sox owners.

How do you explain the Sox having the 13th highest payroll last year, then?  Despite the third highest revenue and operating income?

The Sox aren't going to land every top free agent.  Neither are the Dodgers.  There's plenty of talent out there, but the Sox aren't spending for it.

Sox have spent a whopping $1 million so far.  Werner's "full throttle" comment is looking even more ridiculous than Wyc's "fireworks" from years ago.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So is MLB broken? How the heck does a major pro league function when the Dodgers can basically go out and buy an entire all-star team at insane salaries for all?

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 06:59:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
They might as well just give the World Series trophy to the Dodgers right now. How are other teams supposed to compete with what they're doing?

If I was a Dodgers fan, I'd be expecting to win the title for the next 5 years, at least.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2023, 07:12:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
They might as well just give the World Series trophy to the Dodgers right now. How are other teams supposed to compete with what they're doing?

If I was a Dodgers fan, I'd be expecting to win the title for the next 5 years, at least.

If this was the NBA and the Lakers were allowed signed Giannis, Luka, , Wemby, etc. to add to Lebron and AD, I'd just stop watching.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2023, 08:41:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

we are in agreement over all on sox spending. my point above was strictly to yamamoto's choice. as for not spending for talent, let's wait and see. the free agent season is still on, or so i've heard.

now that yamamoto is gone, i expect a flurry of signings. hopefully the sox are active. we shall see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2023, 09:38:29 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
These deferred payments going to hurt small markets team cause big market will have money till end of time

The player has to be willing to defer the money. Bobby Bonilla is still famously receiving just over $1M every July 1 until 2035.

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2023, 11:11:55 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Please sell the team. This is pathetic

This isn't about "overpaying" for Montgomery or what he's truly worth, but if the Sox are literally telling everyone that a 150M+ contract isn't in their "budget" then that's just truly pathetic. Also basically tells you they are getting no big-names this offseason (not Snell, Monty, etc.). And btw, the Sox are still about 75M under the luxury tax.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2023, 02:49:54 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Ohtani bought Joe Kelly’s wife a Porsche for letting have his number…unreal
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2023, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2023, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Chris Sale to the Braves for Vaughn Grissom

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39208393/sources-red-sox-deal-chris-sale-braves-vaughn-grissom

WOW! Bold move.

Thanks for everything Sale, especially 2018.

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2023, 04:15:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39208393/sources-red-sox-deal-chris-sale-braves-vaughn-grissom

WOW! Bold move.

Is Grissom any good or is this mostly a salary dump for the Sox?

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

WOW! Bold move.

That’s funny. I know he put up good numbers in 2018, at least ERA-wise, but to me he was damaged goods by the time that season ended and in the post-season. How Dumbrowski thought it was a good idea to extend him was beyond me, even at the time. Right or wrong I’ve always resented both Dumbrowski and Sale for costing us Mookie. I will not lose an ounce of sleep over his departure. Classy guy, and it’s not his fault, but he’s made of glass.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2023, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

WOW! Bold move.

Is Grissom any good or is this mostly a salary dump for the Sox?

Grissom tore up Triple-A and is only 22 years old. There's a lot of hype for him as a 2B and that's where he's projected to play with Boston. Atlanta did try using him at SS but it didn't work so well and also the Braves are pretty loaded as is so there weren't many spots for Grissom. He did hit his first HR at Fenway Park lol. Grissom isn't a power hitter but he's a really good hitter, and I think a reason he isn't seen as a shortstop going forward is because he has "modest range", but that's fine for 2B.

I think it's a mix of both. Sox save 10.5M, but also, I think it's just a needed separation for all parties (Sale and Boston). The last 3 years have just been inconsistent due to his health/injuries and the Sox were also probably sick of just relying on him to return each of the last 3 seasons. Now hopefully they go out and add 2 more pitchers to go along with Giolito-Bello-Pivetta in the rotation. Sale meanwhile removed his NTC and has a chance to compete for a WS with Atlanta in the NL

Adding Grissom does also make a few of their redundant OF/SS/2B prospects more expendable in a potential trade for an ace-caliber pitcher like Luzardo, Burnes, Framber Valdez, Cabrera, etc. And it's likely the Sox will add Teoscar Hernandez and he plays OF.