Author Topic: Timelord highlights vs Spurs - feeling giddy  (Read 20249 times)

Re: Timelord highlights vs Spurs - feeling giddy
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It was great to watch Robert Williams in action last night.

On the other hand, you kind of expect such a development after 4 years of experience in the NBA...  ;)

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 12:09:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I remember watching a young Bill Russell in his first game, a Sunday game on TV at the Boston Garden in '57.

Russell was an immediate sensation--about 20 rebounds and half dozen or so blocks. Nobody had ever seen anything like it--at least in Boston.

Robert Williams isn't Russell, but he's of that ilk. A kid who can rebound and block shots. What the current team lacks.

Red surrounded Russell with four hi-offense players. Russell's defensive presence in the middle made the Celtics unbeatable.

The current Celtics are built similarly. What's lacking is that guy in the center who can defend the paint. Robert Williams could be that guy.

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 12:13:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A CRYING SHAME that he didn't get any remarks on NBA TV...they covered the GH injury which I can understand but really?

Lob Williams had one of his best games this season against a QUALITY team and Coach last night. He should've gotten some recognition.

On the OTHER hand - let him fly under the radar, lol - we need him to have a similar game tomorrow against DAL.

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He seems to gravitate to passing and seeing the court better than many guards .  This is something.  i never would have guessed when drafted.

I thought he was a clone of Capella or such .

Williams has way more court IQ than Capella . 

If he can stay healthy add some muscle , his head is in the right place , somebody is really schooling and watching after him.

Bring in KG for a work out partner in practice.

Timelord Timetable?
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

On the other hand, you kind of expect such a development after 4 years of experience in the NBA...  ;)

Given that he only has one year of experience, that means that he’s ahead of schedule I guess.

He’s got a chance to be unlike anyone else in the league, including Clint Capela, who’s a typical comp that gets mentioned. He’s at times amazing in his reactions - just has a great feel for the game.

Did some good work on his body in the offseason, but the main thing that could stop him is still injuries to ankles, groin/hips, and especially knees.

Adding a jumper would make him more versatile, it’s true, and the team would benefit from being able to play two bigs. But you can get away with one player not being an outside threat and still have good spacing, as long as the other four are; Rob is getting great results in high pick and roll and dunker’s spot roles - and obviously from running the floor.

The blocks are dramatic (and it looks like he’s gotten better at keeping the ball in play), but he’s also getting lots of deflections and steals.

I underestimated him. I didn’t think that he’d break the rotation until February; Kanter going down left an opening for him, but he’s producing at a rate that surely will keep his minutes up after Enes returns.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Re: Timelord Timetable?
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Given that he only has one year of experience, that means that he’s ahead of schedule I guess.

He’s got a chance to be unlike anyone else in the league, including Clint Capela, who’s a typical comp that gets mentioned. He’s at times amazing in his reactions - just has a great feel for the game.

Did some good work on his body in the offseason, but the main thing that could stop him is still injuries to ankles, groin/hips, and especially knees.

Adding a jumper would make him more versatile, it’s true, and the team would benefit from being able to play two bigs. But you can get away with one player not being an outside threat and still have good spacing, as long as the other four are; Rob is getting great results in high pick and roll and dunker’s spot roles - and obviously from running the floor.

The blocks are dramatic (and it looks like he’s gotten better at keeping the ball in play), but he’s also getting lots of deflections and steals.

I underestimated him. I didn’t think that he’d break the rotation until February; Kanter going down left an opening for him, but he’s producing at a rate that surely will keep his minutes up after Enes returns.

Did you miss what he did?  Anyone with with Vortex connections shouldn't have missed!  Apologies if you did not miss.  I like Rob, but TP to Rody.

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
That one dunk ,  he was as high as I ever seen Bron or AD .   I needed to watch it like 5 times ...wow  ;D

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think one of the reasons we're 7-1 is that Theis and Williams have been so good.

He plugs in as ultra quick and athletic(Theis is pretty similar, if less elite), and that helps when playing Kemba and 3 athletic wings. Speed is cumulative.

If he can continue to progress, it gives us a path to get by Philly and Milwaukee. Both of those teams are huge. but slower at every position, except perhaps Giannis. If you can play a squad that is so super switchable and you have such a huge speed and fitness advantage, you can overwhelm bigger teams.

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Who are you referring to?

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
nm
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
What gets me excited the most is if Williams continues to play the way he played last night, it's going to cause match-up problems for other teams. It'll be hard to defend a very athletic 6'8 who can attack the rim like him.
Is he really only 6'8''??
He looks at least 6'10'' to me, but after checking various sources he's really listed at 6'8" or 6'9". Interesting
Short neck and small head I think.

I think you’re absolutely right. With a normal length neck he would be 6’-10” or 6’-11”.

A more accurate comparison of Willams to other bigs would be their shoulder height.

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 04:46:23 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Who are you referring to?
His ability to warp time

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 05:45:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
That one dunk ,  he was as high as I ever seen Bron or AD .   I needed to watch it like 5 times ...wow  ;D

Not AD, Lebron or Deandre Jordan (3-4 years ago)

Yes

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Not AD, Lebron or Deandre Jordan (3-4 years ago)

Yes
Lol one of the commentators said his neck was above the square.

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 06:27:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The thing that make Lob so interesting is that he is not only a superb athlete BUT he is also a willing passer...

As he studies this beautiful game of basketball and continues to grow he will learn to keep the ball in play once he blocks it (ala Bill Russell)....

Dude also looks bigger in the shoulders, as if he's gained weight and been working out.

Loving his development.