Author Topic: Any news on Tillman and Springer?  (Read 5479 times)

Any news on Tillman and Springer?
« on: February 16, 2024, 10:06:44 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189
Has anyone heard anything about these guys suiting up after the All-Star break? I thought these trades were done to beef us up for the stretch run but if neither can play it seems like a waste of some roster spots.

Re: Any news on Tillman and Springer?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 10:27:51 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2716
I think they are just taking a few weeks with the break to get them oriented to the Celtics offensive and defensive schemes. I expect to see them both regularly after the break. Tillman is going to get some minutes in the playoffs imo. Springer is more for next season and beyond.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 10:28:03 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
We all know and we’re keeping it from you.   ;)

That said, Springer is not a this-year player.  Brad hinted as much in an interview — he’s someone they like and had a chance to get, but he talked about future flexibility.  He’ll get healthy at some point, but the Celtics are in no rush.

Tillman has a minor knee injury and I’m pretty sure the Celtics looked at the calendar, saw the All-Star break coming up, and decided to hold him out for some extra healing and wait until a week after he’s been able to practice with the team.  Get concerned if he’s not active after the break, but he passed his physical so there’s likely nothing serious.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 10:59:57 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

That said, Springer is not a this-year player.  Brad hinted as much in an interview — he’s someone they like and had a chance to get, but he talked about future flexibility.  He’ll get healthy at some point, but the Celtics are in no rush.

Tillman has a minor knee injury and I’m pretty sure the Celtics looked at the calendar, saw the All-Star break coming up, and decided to hold him out for some extra healing and wait until a week after he’s been able to practice with the team.  Get concerned if he’s not active after the break, but he passed his physical so there’s likely nothing serious.

Keep in mind that there is a lot that a traded player has to do, both on the court and otherwise.  It is not just learning all new schemes and players, but they have to move and take care of number of big things in their lives.  I see it as really smart for the Celtics to give them some time and space to deal with this.

I think Celtics2021 has it right.  I am not the least bit concerned right now, in fact just the opposite, I think this transition phase will turn out to be extremely beneficial in the long run.  It makes sense to me to give these players time to get settled before throwing them on the court to play with a well established contending team for the first time. 

I will start to worry if Tillman isn't suited up for the first game after the break.  I suspect that Tillman's knee is a secondary consideration, they would have allowed for this transition period in any case (as they are doing for Springer who has no reported injury).  But it doesn't hurt that he gets a little more time to rest out of this too.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

Keep in mind that there is a lot that a traded player has to do, both on the court and otherwise.  It is not just learning all new schemes and players, but they have to move and take care of number of big things in their lives.  I see it as really smart for the Celtics to give them some time and space to deal with this.

I think Celtics2021 has it right.  I am not the least bit concerned right now, in fact just the opposite, I think this transition phase will turn out to be extremely beneficial in the long run.  It makes sense to me to give these players time to get settled before throwing them on the court to play with a well established contending team for the first time. 

I will start to worry if Tillman isn't suited up for the first game after the break.  I suspect that Tillman's knee is a secondary consideration, they would have allowed for this transition period in any case (as they are doing for Springer who has no reported injury).  But it doesn't hurt that he gets a little more time to rest out of this too.

One point of clarification on Springer — he injured his foot or ankle in the last game before the deadline and left it early.  I don’t think the Celtics cared about that because they don’t have immediate plans for him and it didn’t count too serious.  But he does have a reported injury.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 01:05:42 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Springer has been dealing with right ankle tendinitis and he was ruled out of Friday’s [Jan 19] contest with the Magic. Before the game, coach Nick Nurse discussed Springer’s injury and the unfortunate timing of it.

“I think that would be a good opportunity for him to be in the rotation and he’s just having a tough time getting over this Achilles tendinitis I guess it is,” said Nurse before the game in Orlando. “They’ve ruled him out again for tonight. He was at practice today and went through most of it, but just not good enough to go on live contact and full speed yet so yeah.”

Checking the game log, he didn't play between Jan 13-24.  But he played 20+ minutes in all four games in Feb for the Sixers before being traded, including 23 min in his last game with them on Feb 7.  They are still referencing his ankle as the reason he is not playing so he may have some lingering injury. 

Injury or not, I am still glad they are not rushing these guys.  Let them take care of their business, get some practice under their belt.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384

But they don't have to do that when I trade them in NBA2k, [dang it]...they play immediately! (especially since I have injuries turned off)  :police:

(plus they mesh perfectly with the team because I'm the one playing them)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 02:02:55 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not too worried. Springer might be a 9th or 10th man anyways who will continue to develop. Tillman may have more of an impact but again, as long as he's healthy come April and beyond that's what matters.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 05:48:11 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 684
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Really need Tillman here down the stretch and into the playoffs. He gives Boston another physical defender and rebounder

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 09:59:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Long as Tillman brings what he does for a few moments in the playoffs I ll be good. We need him against team like Heat

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 10:41:38 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287
Do we know what numbers Tillman and Springer will wear?

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 10:52:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Xavier Tillman Sr #26
Jaden Springer #44

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 04:28:11 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!

Xavier Tillman Sr #26
Jaden Springer #44

44 - 26 = 18

Banner 18 here we come  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 06:09:02 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1827

Xavier Tillman Sr #26
Jaden Springer #44

44 - 26 = 18

Banner 18 here we come  8)

Thanks, that deserves a TP...
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 08:14:43 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287

Xavier Tillman Sr #26
Jaden Springer #44

Wonder if Springer knows he's wearing Pete Maravich's #. He'd better work on his shot.