Poll

Which path would you prefer?

Re-Sign Kyrie + Trade For AD
79 (59.8%)
Re-Sign Kyrie, Don't Trade For AD & Simply Add Depth Or Moderate Upgrades Using Picks + MLE
2 (1.5%)
Let Kyrie Walk, But You Still Trade For AD & Add Depth Or Moderate Upgrades Using Picks + MLE
17 (12.9%)
Let Kyrie Walk, Don't Trade For AD & Simply Build Around The Jays + Young Core + Both Horford, Hayward
32 (24.2%)
Full On Rebuild And Tank, Baby! (Go Crazy)
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Poll: There's Pretty Much Five Paths From Here. Which Path Would You Prefer?  (Read 11096 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I simply don't understand how people still think if Kyrie and Horford leaves, that we can offer a max...

A simple Google research or hoopshype can give you the easy answer...

Also Kemba, Middleton, and Harris are not better than Kyrie or Horford, let alone both combined. Let's just stop being delusional...

KD, Klay or Kawhi could possibly have that effect, but that's where it's important to have at least Kyrie or Horford on our team. No one is coming to play with Tatum, Brown, or Hayward/Smart after our disastrous year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
resign Irving and trade for AD is not as simple as you think

I would bet that this situation also means....bye to CBS. And other key roster changes

CBS has too many habits, zone D structure, find the open man style coaching that Irving doesn't seem fond of

he rather play in a more "freestyle" culture....like the Rockets employ

Irving = Alpha 1
AD = Alpha 2

and rest of the roster consisting of solid role players .... just like he  was used to when with the Cavs

Can't see Danny catering to Irving like this

Good points. I also wonder whether AD and Kyrie could get on the same page with each other, even before we get to CBS. Don’t know too much about AD’s game, but when we’ve played the Pels he’s spent a decent amount of time in the post - right where Kyrie wants to be able to work. I don’t see Kyrie being happy about making entry pass after entry pass and then getting out of the way.

The add to that a rejuvenated(?) Hayward, who had a usage rate near 30 in his last season in Utah, and whose value comes from having the ball in his hands at three levels - with a lot of time getting into the lane off curls or picks and then either finishing or spraying passes to the wings. How do these three guys coexist in Brad’s system?

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I simply don't understand how people still think if Kyrie and Horford leaves, that we can offer a max...

A simple Google research or hoopshype can give you the easy answer...

Also Kemba, Middleton, and Harris are not better than Kyrie or Horford, let alone both combined. Let's just stop being delusional...

KD, Klay or Kawhi could possibly have that effect, but that's where it's important to have at least Kyrie or Horford on our team. No one is coming to play with Tatum, Brown, or Hayward/Smart after our disastrous year.

Yeah a lot of people seem to think if we just let go of Kyrie and Horford opts-out we just have 40M in cap space right away which is not true at all. Sign and trades are possible but tend to be really tricky as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Keep Kyrie. Trade for AD. Surround them with veteran players that know their roles. I’m not sure what the cost for AD will be but their replacements should be experienced players. Pray Hayward comes close to his Utah form.

Yep. Ring chasers would probably love to join especially once the Warriors lose KD and once we potentially re-sign Kyrie + trade for AD.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I am sickened that I HAD to vote to re-sign Irving and trade for AD, but I think that we have no choice if we want to compete for a title in the next 5 years, unless we got incredibly lucky. Hayward's contract especially straps us here in terms of our viable, title-contending options and flexibility.

Both Irving and AD have injury histories that are concerning to me: AD for injury frequency (although somewhat varied, but his left knee has been a problem twice) and Irving for the severity and it being a knee. What are the chances that at least one of them doesn't get hurt in the next few years?  And if one is injured for any substantial length of time, we are sunk as we will be giving up substantial talent to get AD, so we couldn't win without both on the floor.

Also, it doesn't seem like Irving respects Stevens, although I admire that Irving called out Stevens schemes or lack thereof and questioned certain strategies like how to guard Kemba.

I think one of them has to go, unless there can be a detente there. Hard to see it happen. When you lose a team, as Stevens did this year, especially Irving, it's real hard to get it back.

Also, TP to the OP, as this thread is even more timely now!!

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I am sickened that I HAD to vote to re-sign Irving and trade for AD, but I think that we have no choice if we want to compete for a title in the next 5 years, unless we got incredibly lucky. Hayward's contract especially straps us here in terms of our viable, title-contending options and flexibility.

Both Irving and AD have injury histories that are concerning to me: AD for injury frequency (although somewhat varied, but his left knee has been a problem twice) and Irving for the severity and it being a knee. What are the chances that at least one of them doesn't get hurt in the next few years?  And if one is injured for any substantial length of time, we are sunk as we will be giving up substantial talent to get AD, so we couldn't win without both on the floor.

Also, it doesn't seem like Irving respects Stevens, although I admire that Irving called out Stevens schemes or lack thereof and questioned certain strategies like how to guard Kemba.

I think one of them has to go, unless there can be a detente there. Hard to see it happen. When you lose a team, as Stevens did this year, especially Irving, it's real hard to get it back.

Also, TP to the OP, as this thread is even more timely now!!

This is going to be a big offseason for Brad Stevens as well. He'll have to adjust his schemes I think and Ainge will also have to try and add some useful depth that fits the system well. It just won't work with the way the roster is currently constructed and this would be true if we traded for AD + kept Kyrie. CBS will have to make some adjustments as well. I hope the Bucks series was a humbling experience for Brad.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm ready to move on from Kyrie and I believe the team is also.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Does anyone still think Kyrie would resign with us?   The media kind of torched him and fans are pretty irate.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Does anyone still think Kyrie would resign with us?   The media kind of torched him and fans are pretty irate.
Only if Anthony Davis was a guarantee, considering they're friends.

I couldn't blame him though. People are holding him solely responsible for the mess that was this team, which is lunacy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I was thinking that too...he's probably the most hated sportsperson in Boston right now and I'm sure he knows it. Sports radio has absolutely savaged him since Wednesday (Felger and Mazz have been especially brutal) and print media hasn't been far behind. Obviously people are upset but some of the reactions seem to be over the top. I'm not sure why he would want to come back, particularly since he seems to have a big ego and wants to be loved and there are plenty of teams and fans out there that will give him that.. He doesn't seem to have that "chip on my shoulder, I'll prove them all wrong" type attitude that someone like IT or Smart might have.

Before the playoffs started I thought we had a solid chance of re-signing him and maintaining control over him for at least a couple of years but now I think he will say "f--k it I don't want to play for these people anyway I'm outa here" and sign elsewhere. It's not like he'll be lacking options and the hate will give him a PR excuse to go back on his earlier verbal commitment ("if you guys will have me back, I plan on re-signing...well they didn't want me back anyway").

Losing him for nothing will kind of suck from a strategic point of view but may be cathartic to some I guess.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 06:32:05 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I couldn't blame him though. People are holding him solely responsible for the mess that was this team, which is lunacy

I don't understand why people think it's unreasonable to hold Kyrie accountable when

(a) He literally said, all season long, that he was all about the playoffs and that the reason a team should want him on the roster is the playoffs

(b) He laid one of the all-time eggs in four straight games on the way to the Celtics getting totally trounced in a five by the Bucks.

(c) Afterward, he acted like it was no big deal and if he could do it all over again he wouldn't do anything differently -- "I would have shot more."

You can't expect to avoid major criticism when you spend all season acting like the regular season doesn't matter, chemistry doesn't matter, talking to the media doesn't matter, none of it matters because only the playoffs matter, AND THEN play like absolute dog crap in four straight games against a quality opponent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don't understand why people think it's unreasonable to hold Kyrie accountable when

(a) He literally said, all season long, that he was all about the playoffs and that the reason a team should want him on the roster is the playoffs

(b) He laid one of the all-time eggs in four straight games on the way to the Celtics getting totally trounced in a five by the Bucks.

You can't expect to avoid major criticism when you spend all season acting like the regular season doesn't matter, chemistry doesn't matter, talking to the media doesn't matter, none of it matters because only the playoffs matter, AND THEN play like absolute dog crap in four straight games against a quality opponent.
You'll see I wrote solely. I'm not talking about you, or the other posters who are I may disagree with yet find very reasonable. I'm talking about the ones (one or two in the Rozier thread especially) absolving everyone of blame but Kyrie.

Kyrie is definitely at fault. So is a good chunk of the team

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You'll see I wrote solely. I'm not talking about you, or the other posters who are I may disagree with yet find very reasonable. I'm talking about the ones (one or two in the Rozier thread especially) absolving everyone of blame but Kyrie.

I'm with you. I have no issue with Kyrie being held accountable, he holds blame. I've said that multiple times. But I don't think its fair to only put blame on him as some are determined to do.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm with you. I have no issue with Kyrie being held accountable, he holds blame. I've said that multiple times. But I don't think its fair to only put blame on him as some are determined to do.
It's really funny to me because the posters who usually only blame Kyrie tend to be the one who complain about a lack of team basketball, yet when it comes to collective accountability they shut their mouth. Weird mental gymnastics

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

It's really funny to me because the posters who usually only blame Kyrie tend to be the one who complain about a lack of team basketball, yet when it comes to collective accountability they shut their mouth. Weird mental gymnastics
For most of them, I think it comes down to their sentimental bond with our young guys, the players they think are "true Celtics". Without making Kyrie the scapegoat that has poisoned the team, everyone would have to come to the realization that our young guys have been really disappointing this year, and that they are most likely not good enough to build around.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum