Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 959477 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2880 on: July 28, 2019, 09:14:20 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Founder

Never I though that a story about a fastfood chain would be so interesting.

I put on that movie as a background flick while folding laundry and was really impressed. I thought it was going to be a McDonald’s commercial but the movie kept me hooked and the ending was really interesting. Highly recommend it (not as a date movie or anything but a ‘I’ve got time to kill’ movie).
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2881 on: July 28, 2019, 11:21:10 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
saw once upon of time in Hollywood yesterday

another classic tarantino movie

good movie. recommend

Yeah, I saw it too. Brad Pitt reminded everyone that he is still a huge star. I bet he is nominated.

Good movie too. I'd say it's at the Jackie Brown level.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2882 on: July 28, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
saw once upon of time in Hollywood yesterday

another classic tarantino movie

good movie. recommend

Yeah, I saw it too. Brad Pitt reminded everyone that he is still a huge star. I bet he is nominated.

Good movie too. I'd say it's at the Jackie Brown level.

I did like Pitt character better but Leo was good also

Margot Robbie... I mean what was the point of her character?

Ending scene, classic Tarantino lol

« Reply #2883 on: July 30, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bad Times at the El Royale...I liked it.

The director Drew Goddard has probably written something you liked. His credits are Daredevil for Netflix,  The Martian,  and World War Z.

The music is wonderful,  IMO.  Set in 1969 so you are listening to great 60s classics.

The movie itself plays like a Tarantino film. The only minor complaint is the 2hr and 20 minute run time. It might need to be 20 minutes shorter.
Saw Bad Times recently.  good movie but a bit long.  did have a Tarantino feel to it.

also saw:
- Venom.  did not like it at all.  hated the inner discussion between Brock and Venom.  I usually like Tom Hardy's work but really didn't like this movie.  can't believe there will be a sequel.
- Shazam - disappointing.  was hoping for more laughs and a better plot/story.
- Solo  (forgot to mention this one).  another disappointing movie.  was hoping for so much better. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:41:48 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #2884 on: July 30, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I saw 'Once upon of time in Hollywood' yesterday.  I thought it was great.  There was a whole lot of time spent recreating the detail of late 60's LA.
I thought both BP and LD were great. 

« Reply #2885 on: July 30, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Saw Yesterday last week.

Setup was interesting (everyone but the performer didn't know anything about the Beatles) but felt the casting was not very good. Little chemistry between the two leads.  And frankly the Beatles' songs get a bit tired after being played over and again (figure the licensing rights so expensive they could only include a handful in the film).

Wanted to like the film a lot more than I actually did. The director, Danny Boyle, made a couple of my favorite films, Slum Dog Millionaire and Trainspotting. This one I found boring.  No one's perfect.

Others may disagree. My wife and cousin loved it.

« Reply #2886 on: July 30, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Crawl

Not bad..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2887 on: July 30, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Shazam-  I was a little disappointed. I expected a little more corny than Aquaman ( which I thought was very generic and corny) Man of Steel and BVS are my all time favorite movies and I mourn that they abandoned that route. It’s just personal taste. I like darker, slower movies. For example Blade Runner 2049 is another movie people get mad at me for liking. Lol.
  Looking forward to Dune remake and hoping they don’t throw in quips and laughs.

« Reply #2888 on: July 30, 2019, 02:30:43 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Who is looking for to the TOP GUN sequel

looks amazing

https://youtu.be/qSqVVswa420?t=61

Not me. I wasn’t a huge fan of the first. But I root for Tom Cruise . Everyone gets on him for Scientology when other religions have done so much worse. I could care less.
   He’s a true movie star. Much respect for all the stunts he does. Once he’s too old for as much action( which I think will be awhile) he’s got great acting chops. He’ll be making great flicks when he’s 75.

« Reply #2889 on: July 30, 2019, 02:53:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Moneyball.

Very good movie and really liked the behind the scenes of the whole moneyball philosophy (though I'm not necessarily a fan of the Moneyball concept.)

Looking forwarding to seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Brad Pitt is great whether he's playing Billy Beane or in a Tarantino movie.

I see quite a few on this board have seen it and see rave reviews.

Look forward to seeing it.

« Reply #2890 on: July 30, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Us

It was good. Thrilling. A good premise. I don't know that the plot totally hangs together but I don't mind. As a supernatural thriller poking at some big ideas, I thought it worked really well. In no small part thanks to Lupita Nyong'o, who is phenomenal.

Thought the movie was just meh.

Will try to mask my spoilers, highlight below to see (of course this spoiler masking will disappear if I'm quoted):

As I said, I enjoyed it but I honestly don't disagree with any of those criticisms.
I agree with the "meh".  I didn't love it. I'm a movie fanatic, but horror is my least favorite genre. Some standard horror schlock mixed with a bunch of half-baked ideas that Peele brought to the table, but didn't really flesh out... and a social commentary layer that felt more shallow that some fanboys are making it out to be. I thought it was a step down from his last one ("Get out") which I felt was more interesting and more entertaining. FWIW, I thought Lupita was pretty good in it. I think I'd give it something like a 65 out of 100. It has an 81 out of 100 on metacritic - which feels overrated to me. I understand why some would love it, though.

Horror isn’t for me either. I think it has a lot to do with being in my 40’s now I feel like I’ve just seen everything and I just can’t get scared from things jumping out. The last great “ horror” I saw ( for me)was the first “Saw”movie. I really enjoyed the Netflix Haunting of Hill House” but the ending kinda ruined it for me.

« Reply #2891 on: July 30, 2019, 05:09:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
you're just waiting for the person to say "woah woah woah, hold up... hold up... calm down... maybe i'm not explaining myself properly... let me clear this up right now"

Does this work with you wife? Haha.
Lol. 

You get my point though.  You see this kind of crap all the time in bad romcoms...

Girl walks in.. sees what she thinks is a guy making out with his sister.

Girl:  "Brett!  How could you!"

Guy:  "But wait... it's not how it looks!"

Girl:  "I Trusted you!!" (she runs off)

Months later at a book signing.

Girl:  "So I read your book"

Guy:  "Yeah.  You inspired me to write it"

Girl:  "How about we give this another chance?"

But like... in real life, I think the guy would chase her out the door and explain - that isn't actually his sister... and that this whole thing is a big misunderstanding involving a lesbian "best friend" from his childhood, a multi-million dollar inheritance from a curmudgeon old grandmother contingent on the main character getting married, a weeks-long fake engagement that resulted in our main character meeting the love-interest (a lowly wedding caterer) - him panicking in the moment claiming he was just helping his "sister" plan her wedding, several days of shenanigans while he tried to keep up appearances of his "engagement" for watchful lawyers while subsequently keeping his budding romance hidden - all leading to the sudden realization that the "lesbian best friend" was actually a sociopath trying to entrap him in a marriage so she could take half his inheritance - and her evil scheme to seduce him when he expressed his plan to propose to the love interest instead - culminating in her attack-kissing him right as she knew the love-interest was arriving.   

I mean... just a simple explanation and the whole thing gets cleared up on the spot.

Haha! Great post. So true.

« Reply #2892 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
For example Blade Runner 2049 is another movie people get mad at me for liking. Lol.

Just saw this last night. It was amazing, such beautiful cinematography. I could fill my walls with stills from this movie and live happy for the rest of my life. I liked almost everything, especially the unconventional love story. I felt that the Jared Leto scenes were a bit boring and trying to imitate the last monologue of Roy Batty from the original. But wow, amazing movie!

« Reply #2893 on: July 30, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hardy Bucks

Those guys are just so [dang] funny.

« Reply #2894 on: July 30, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
" In to The Past" with Robert Mitchum. Great movie, with some great lines. Woman: " Nobody's all bad" Mitchum " She comes the closest..."