Author Topic: Mark Bartelstein : "Walker is a heck of a player"  (Read 24485 times)

Re: Mark Bartelstein : "Walker is a heck of a player"
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
those vids of walker breaking cats down as a PG with his nasty crossover coming anytime soon?

very funny.   >:(

I was referring to him as a PF breaking down the opposing PF off the dribble...not as a PG. 

thats funny, thats not what you wrote

So BBD can bring the ball up the court like a Point-Guard?  He can pass it like one as well, right?  He can break his man off the dribble, I suppose....

i'll give you that you worded this paragraph oddly, and randomly in the middle of talking about how he could handle like a PG switched to PF  and ment breaking down a PF off the dribble, even though you clearly were comparing his passing and ball handling to a PG at the time.

Well I'm an ODD person.  What do you expect?   ;D

Maybe this Walker-fandom is all just a way of getting a thread I created some attention....Over 2,000 views and counting, too.  [dang], I'm good.   8)

....or maybe not.

Can i then see those videos/highlights?

Go to YouTube. Maybe you can find something there...

he has an good first face up step off the dribble, but so do powe and davis...a PF being able to take his defender at the rack off the dribble is nothing new. KG is a master at it (but he's KG, no knock on toine to not have those skills) and so can leon and baby. leon murdered odom and gasol off the dribble numerous times in games 2 and 6.

What about drawing him out at the perimeter and taking him off the dribble there?  Can BBD and Powe do THAT? 

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just a word about the size of Walker vs the size of Davis.

Walker entered the league in 1996 as a 6'9" 220lb. PF.
Davis entered the league in 2007 as a 6'8" 290lb. PF.

Their body shapes and masses at the time of their entrance to the league couldn't be more different. An example of how different would be that if they both played football Antoine would have been considered an athletic, pass catching TE and Baby would be a prototypical offensive guard.

Walker was lean, and comparatively low body fat and was quick and had decent inside power to bang. Davis had comparatively a lot of body fat, was thick and muscular beneath the fat, and had an extensive size advantage in his lower body and trunk. He epitomized inside power and yet for a man his size is nimble and rather quick. Both have good hands.

If Walker was still in the 230lb range and in his best condition and if Baby loses 25 pounds of fat over the summer, Baby is still the much larger person and not necessarily fat. Walker is nowhere near 230. At 31 he would need to do considerable work to get back down to that weight. Baby at 22, with some self control and proper training will lose that weight, probably a ton easier than Walker could.

But either way if both men enter the league in their current condition, Big Baby would be a much more successful bench player because he has been playing and succeeding at playing at that weight for several years. Walker's game has been hampered by his physical conditioning and if he does work to improve his body will have a game who's quality will fall off the face of the planet.

So is Baby fat, yes. Is Walker fat, yes. But in proportion to their body shape, Walker is fatter and older and that is not a good mix. Both players could stand to do some weight training and cardio and shed some lbs.

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

So is Baby fat, yes. Is Walker fat, yes. But in proportion to their body shape, Walker is fatter and older and that is not a good mix. Both players could stand to do some weight training and cardio and shed some lbs.

Agreed on the last part.  They need to hit the weights and drop the cheese-doodles...

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
i loved how he played for the celts when he was here.. he gave his best.. he was a good leader then.. however given the celts situation now.. i dnt think he fits

i love powe.. just wish he would look to pass a little bit more (if hes on a tight spot he has the tendency to throw up shots)

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
those vids of walker breaking cats down as a PG with his nasty crossover coming anytime soon?

very funny.   >:(

I was referring to him as a PF breaking down the opposing PF off the dribble...not as a PG. 

thats funny, thats not what you wrote

So BBD can bring the ball up the court like a Point-Guard?  He can pass it like one as well, right?  He can break his man off the dribble, I suppose....

i'll give you that you worded this paragraph oddly, and randomly in the middle of talking about how he could handle like a PG switched to PF  and ment breaking down a PF off the dribble, even though you clearly were comparing his passing and ball handling to a PG at the time.

Well I'm an ODD person.  What do you expect?   ;D

Maybe this Walker-fandom is all just a way of getting a thread I created some attention....Over 2,000 views and counting, too.  [dang], I'm good.   8)

....or maybe not.

Can i then see those videos/highlights?

Go to YouTube. Maybe you can find something there...

he has an good first face up step off the dribble, but so do powe and davis...a PF being able to take his defender at the rack off the dribble is nothing new. KG is a master at it (but he's KG, no knock on toine to not have those skills) and so can leon and baby. leon murdered odom and gasol off the dribble numerous times in games 2 and 6.

What about drawing him out at the perimeter and taking him off the dribble there?  Can BBD and Powe do THAT? 

he shoots 25% from three, the knock on him is that he wont play in the post....i don't want my PF doing that, i want him on the block. taking 3's= no rebounds.

we have 2 fantastic 3 point shooters in our starting lineup, and several more off the bench.

as to youtube, i checked, and low and behold, nada. no walker crossover vids. because it doesn't happen. he's a good ball handler for a guy his size, but in no way is it a strength.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion