Poll

What should the Celtics do this summer?

Bring back the same team.  Add mediocre help with MLE..
25 (53.2%)
Go after Deron Williams.
13 (27.7%)
Blow it up and target restricted free agents (OJ Mayo, for example)
9 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Should the Celtics offer Deron Williams the max this summer?  (Read 30207 times)

Re: Should the Celtics offer Deron Williams the max this summer?
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think Deron Williams would consider signing without Rondo already being gone or at least a guarantee that Rondo would be traded prior to the season beginning ... to allow Deron to play the point.

I can't imagine Deron considering to go to a team that won't let him play his position. The sign Deron Williams and later trade Deron Williams isn't an option.

Is that against the rules?
No ... but why does Deron sign if there is any chance that they may move him in the near future?

Don't tell him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I don't think Deron Williams would consider signing without Rondo already being gone or at least a guarantee that Rondo would be traded prior to the season beginning ... to allow Deron to play the point.

I can't imagine Deron considering to go to a team that won't let him play his position. The sign Deron Williams and later trade Deron Williams isn't an option.
I agree, Who.  I'm just floating the "keep Rondo and trade Deron mid-season" idea to appease the mob that is jumping down my throat and can't see past the "No way would I swap Rondo for Deron" thing.  Lol.   I still think the concept makes sense... if a young top 2 PG is available to add for free, you have to go for it... even if it means moving your young top 6 PG for an equally talented player of a different position.

It's like this... Vlade Divac was a star center for the Lakers.  Shaq became available... they signed Shaq and traded Divac for Kobe.   I'm sure if a brave LarBrd33-esque Laker fan had floated the idea before it happened, you'd have a bunch of Laker fans saying, "NO Way would I give up DIvac!! The only thing SHaq does better is score.  He can't match Divac's passing ability!!... where's your loyalty, pre-internet-boom-message-board LarBrd33-esque Laker fan?!"

Ha, ha.  I'm not a mob, and the difference between Rajon Rondo and Deron Williams is nowhere near the difference between an aging Vlade Divac and a young Shaq.

By the way, how did Deron Williams improve from being a top 3 point guard to being a top two point guard over the course of the last five pages?  Do you know something the rest of us don't about the severity of Derrick Rose's injury?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
even if it means moving your young top 6 PG for an equally talented player of a different position.

It's like this... Vlade Divac was a star center for the Lakers.  Shaq became available... they signed Shaq and traded Divac for Kobe.   I'm sure if a brave LarBrd33-esque Laker fan had floated the idea before it happened, you'd have a bunch of Laker fans saying, "NO Way would I give up DIvac!!... where's your loyalty, pre-internet-boom-message-board LarBrd33-esque Laker fan?!"

Fair enough, I see your logic.
And I just want to be sure of that equally talented player of different position we are trading Rondo for. Just who is that Top 6 (whatever position he's playing for) player?

I floated the idea of Josh Smith or Al Jefferson.  Those were easy, because Smith wants out of Atlanta and I'm sure they'd JUMP at getting a top 6 point guard to pair with Horford.  IN jefferson's case, they already have two big men sitting on their bench who are their future (Favors and Kanter) and would probably GLADLY bring in Rondo (I mean shoot... especially if Rondo actually IS better than Deron) ...

But perhaps Rondo's value is even greater than that.  I didn't want to suggest anything outrageous.  One poster just mentioned Melo.  I could see it (Lin isn't that good).   I offered up the pipe dream of Rondo + both 1st rounders for Dwight to appease the fans who think Rondo is a superstar.... and also, because landing Deron might convince Dwight to demand a trade to Boston.  He wants to play with Deron desperately. 

So I'll put Rondo's value somewhere between Josh Smith and Dwight Howard.  But personally I'm in favor of trading Rondo for someone still on their rookie contract so that we can free up additional cap room.  Rondo for DeMarcus Cousins, for example.  you do that, you'd have money left over to bring back KG and Ray to play with Pierce, Cousins and Deron.

Again, none of this matters because Deron is either sticking in Brooklyn or going to Dallas.  Still... there's some pipe dreams we could think about.  If Orlando's situation gets worse and they decide to trade Dwight... I can see the Nets offering a big package centered on Brook Lopez (hoping to land Dwight and convince Deron to re-sign)... Maybe at that point we call up Deron and say, "hey... if we trade Rondo and picks for Dwight will you sign with us?"

« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I agree, Who.  I'm just floating the "keep Rondo and trade Deron mid-season" idea to appease the mob that is jumping down my throat and can't see past the "No way would I swap Rondo for Deron" thing.  Lol.   I still think the concept makes sense... if a young top 2 PG is available to add for free, you have to go for it... even if it means moving your young top 6 PG for an equally talented player of a different position.

It's like this... Vlade Divac was a star center for the Lakers.  Shaq became available... they signed Shaq and traded Divac for Kobe.   I'm sure if a brave LarBrd33-esque Laker fan had floated the idea before it happened, you'd have a bunch of Laker fans saying, "NO Way would I give up DIvac!! The only thing SHaq does better is score.  He can't match Divac's passing ability!!... where's your loyalty, pre-internet-boom-message-board LarBrd33-esque Laker fan?!"

Ha, ha.  I'm not a mob, and the difference between Rajon Rondo and Deron Williams is nowhere near the difference between an aging Vlade Divac and a young Shaq.

By the way, how did Deron Williams improve from being a top 3 point guard to being a top two point guard over the course of the last five pages?  Do you know something the rest of us don't about the severity of Derrick Rose's injury?
We're splitting hairs here.  Divac was Rondo's age when they traded him for the Kobe pick.  This was the first example that popped into my head.  It's an exaggerated form.  You get my point, man.  When a franchise player becomes available, you go after him.  I'm sure there are other examples of what the Lakers did.

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Should the Celtics offer Deron Williams the max this summer?

Answer- No

We already have a VERY GOOD PG that we're not paying anything near max money for. I'd rather spend it on things we really need down the road.

If we could get anything for Rondo we'd already done it a long time ago. So getting Williams  and trading Rondo wouldn't work that well. We'd never get anything close to Rondo's value.

I also don't want a punk who gets his coach fired and then gets out of town anyway on my team. If you can't play for Jerry Sloan then you don't need to have on green in my book. Williams is just like many other modern NBA jerks. I don't like him.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I agree, Who.  I'm just floating the "keep Rondo and trade Deron mid-season" idea to appease the mob that is jumping down my throat and can't see past the "No way would I swap Rondo for Deron" thing.  Lol.   I still think the concept makes sense... if a young top 2 PG is available to add for free, you have to go for it... even if it means moving your young top 6 PG for an equally talented player of a different position.

It's like this... Vlade Divac was a star center for the Lakers.  Shaq became available... they signed Shaq and traded Divac for Kobe.   I'm sure if a brave LarBrd33-esque Laker fan had floated the idea before it happened, you'd have a bunch of Laker fans saying, "NO Way would I give up DIvac!! The only thing SHaq does better is score.  He can't match Divac's passing ability!!... where's your loyalty, pre-internet-boom-message-board LarBrd33-esque Laker fan?!"

Ha, ha.  I'm not a mob, and the difference between Rajon Rondo and Deron Williams is nowhere near the difference between an aging Vlade Divac and a young Shaq.

By the way, how did Deron Williams improve from being a top 3 point guard to being a top two point guard over the course of the last five pages?  Do you know something the rest of us don't about the severity of Derrick Rose's injury?
We're splitting hairs here.  Divac was Rondo's age when they traded him for the Kobe pick.  This was the first example that popped into my head.  It's an exaggerated form.  You get my point, man.  When a franchise player becomes available, you go after him.  I'm sure there are other examples of what the Lakers did.

I get your point, man, but I don't buy that there's any validity to saying that Divac is to Shaq as Rondo is to Williams.  Using that kind of logic would not get you too far on one of those Miller's Analogy Tests.

If there are better examples, then I would suggest you use those instead.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
even if it means moving your young top 6 PG for an equally talented player of a different position.

It's like this... Vlade Divac was a star center for the Lakers.  Shaq became available... they signed Shaq and traded Divac for Kobe.   I'm sure if a brave LarBrd33-esque Laker fan had floated the idea before it happened, you'd have a bunch of Laker fans saying, "NO Way would I give up DIvac!!... where's your loyalty, pre-internet-boom-message-board LarBrd33-esque Laker fan?!"

Fair enough, I see your logic.
And I just want to be sure of that equally talented player of different position we are trading Rondo for. Just who is that Top 6 (whatever position he's playing for) player?

I floated the idea of Josh Smith or Al Jefferson.  Those were easy, because Smith wants out of Atlanta and I'm sure they'd JUMP at getting a top 6 point guard to pair with Horford.  IN jefferson's case, they already have two big men sitting on their bench who are their future (Favors and Kanter) and would probably GLADLY bring in Rondo (I mean shoot... especially if Rondo actually IS better than Deron) ...

But perhaps Rondo's value is even greater than that.  I didn't want to suggest anything outrageous.  One poster just mentioned Melo.  I could see it (Lin isn't that good).   I offered up the pipe dream of Rondo + both 1st rounders for Dwight to appease the fans who think Rondo is a superstar.... and also, because landing Deron might convince Dwight to demand a trade to Boston.  He wants to play with Deron desperately. 

So I'll put Rondo's value somewhere between Josh Smith and Dwight Howard.  But personally I'm in favor of trading Rondo for someone still on their rookie contract so that we can free up additional cap room.  Rondo for DeMarcus Cousins, for example.  you do that, you'd have money left over to bring back KG and Ray to play with Pierce, Cousins and Deron.

Again, none of this matters because Deron is either sticking in Brooklyn or going to Dallas.  Still... there's some pipe dreams we could think about.  If Orlando's situation gets worse and they decide to trade Dwight... I can see the Nets offering a big package centered on Brook Lopez (hoping to land Dwight and convince Deron to re-sign)... Maybe at that point we call up Deron and say, "hey... if we trade Rondo and picks for Dwight will you sign with us?"

Josh Smith trade scenario isn't ideal. We tend to forget KG isn't a C, he is a PF, and would love to get back to his own spot, for sure.
As for the other trade, Jazz would gladly do it, even if Rondo isn't as good as Deron, they have Devin Harris running the point, and he isn't as good as he once was. But I can't see how all of a sudden bringing Al makes us a true winner. Don't forget that Al has injury concerns, too.
And trading Rondo for someone like Cousins? That guy's coachability is a big question mark and you won't fancy players that start to demand trades as early as their sophomore seasons, right?

« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
When a franchise player becomes available, you go after him. 

Deron Williams is not a franchise player.

« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2012, 06:42:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I agree, Who.  I'm just floating the "keep Rondo and trade Deron mid-season" idea to appease the mob that is jumping down my throat and can't see past the "No way would I swap Rondo for Deron" thing.  Lol.   I still think the concept makes sense... if a young top 2 PG is available to add for free, you have to go for it... even if it means moving your young top 6 PG for an equally talented player of a different position.

It's like this... Vlade Divac was a star center for the Lakers.  Shaq became available... they signed Shaq and traded Divac for Kobe.   I'm sure if a brave LarBrd33-esque Laker fan had floated the idea before it happened, you'd have a bunch of Laker fans saying, "NO Way would I give up DIvac!! The only thing SHaq does better is score.  He can't match Divac's passing ability!!... where's your loyalty, pre-internet-boom-message-board LarBrd33-esque Laker fan?!"

We're splitting hairs here.  Divac was Rondo's age when they traded him for the Kobe pick.  This was the first example that popped into my head.  It's an exaggerated form.  You get my point, man.  When a franchise player becomes available, you go after him.  I'm sure there are other examples of what the Lakers did.

I get your point, man, but I don't buy that there's any validity to saying that Divac is to Shaq as Rondo is to Williams.  Using that kind of logic would not get you too far on one of those Miller's Analogy Tests.

I'd have to think about it a bit.  How about the Suns.  26 year old Stephon Marbury was an all-star point guard averaging 21 points, 8 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals.  I'm sure at the time if you had asked some Suns fans, they would tell you that Steph was a better player than Steve nash (who was 29 years old and coming off a season averaging 14.5 points, and 8.8 assists... nowhere near the defender that Steph was) ... Still, the Suns gave Nash a max deal and then flipped Steph to the Knicks
Marbury, Penny Hardaway and Cezary Trybański were traded to the New York Knicks on January 5, 2004 for Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, Antonio McDyess, Maciej Lampe, draft rights to Miloš Vujanić, a first-round 2004 draft choice, and an additional future first-round draft choice, likely to be in the 2010 draft.[4]

Suns go from winning 29 games to 62.  Nash wins back-to-back MVP awards.  Does that one count or should I keep looking?

I'm sure if you were to go back and look at some Suns forums the year before you'd see fans saying, "Should the Suns offer Steve Nash the max this summer?

Answer- No

We already have a VERY GOOD PG in Steph Marbury... who is younger and a better defender"...

Am I making ground here or am I delusional?

« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'd have to think about it a bit.  How about the Suns.  26 year old Stephon Marbury was an all-star point guard averaging 21 points, 8 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals.  I'm sure at the time if you had asked some Suns fans, they would tell you that Steph was a better player than Steve nash (who was 29 years old and coming off a season averaging 14.5 points, and 8.8 assists... nowhere near the defender that Steph was) ... Still, the Suns gave Nash a max deal and then flipped Steph to the Knicks
Marbury, Penny Hardaway and Cezary Trybański were traded to the New York Knicks on January 5, 2004 for Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, Antonio McDyess, Maciej Lampe, draft rights to Miloš Vujanić, a first-round 2004 draft choice, and an additional future first-round draft choice, likely to be in the 2010 draft.[4]

Suns go from winning 29 games to 62.  Nash wins back-to-back MVP awards.  Does that one count or should I keep looking?

I'm sure if you were to go back and look at some Suns forums the year before you'd see fans saying, "Should the Suns offer Steve Nash the max this summer?

Answer- No

We already have a VERY GOOD PG in Steph Marbury... who is younger and a better defender"...

Because as good as Steph was back in that day, since his early Minnesota days with KG (which did not last too long, either), he never left an impression of running a play-off series winning team, let it be a championship winning one.
So, yeah, I'd shoot everyone on feet if I was a Suns fan and someone brought this trade package to me, but Suns were so desperate to move Steph out of town that they settled down for a losing trade on paper and still ended up on the winning side.
If you think Rondo is such a pain to bear, then, you made ground, I'd say.

« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Answer- No

Because as good as Steph was back in that day, since his early Minnesota days with KG (which did not last too long, either), he never left an impression of running a play-off series winning team, let it be a championship winning one.
So, yeah, I'd shoot everyone on feet if I was a Suns fan and someone brought this trade package to me, but Suns were so desperate to move Steph out of town that they settled down for a losing trade on paper and still ended up on the winning side.
If you think Rondo is such a pain to bear, then, you made ground, I'd say.

Eh... man... that's the best I can do.  Couldn't think of anything better.  I guess I was way off comparing the Suns trading their 26 year old all-star PG to make room for a franchise PG.  Way off.

There's other lesser examples like the Hawks signing Dikembe Mutumbo and then trading Grant Long for two 1st rounders... winning 56 games the next year.  Or the Heat signing Tim Hardaway and then trading their star player (Glen Rice) for Alonzo Mourning (going from 25 wins to contender)... but those technically aren't the same positions and don't count.   Best I can do is the Lakers moving Vlade (for Kobe) to make room for Shaq and the suns trading Steph to make room for Nash (getting a boatload of assets)

« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
franchise PG. 

Bob Cousy. Magic Johnson. Isaiah Thomas. These are franchise PGs. Deron Williams is not.

« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
When a franchise player becomes available, you go after him. 

Deron Williams is not a franchise player.

This. He's a big name, but certainly not of the caliber of a Lebron, DWade, CP3 or D12. More like Carmelo or Bosh.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I get your point, man, but I don't buy that there's any validity to saying that Divac is to Shaq as Rondo is to Williams.  Using that kind of logic would not get you too far on one of those Miller's Analogy Tests.

Answer- No

Good job doing your homework.  You might have gained a little ground, but, somewhat ironically,
I would say that Deron Williams is much more in the mold of Steph Marbury while Rondo reminds me more of Steve Nash (only with NBA all defensive ability).  

Again, in the hypothetical event that Danny offers the max to Deron Williams and Williams accepts it, I'd much rather trade Williams away than Rondo.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline rasta1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Danny probably WILL offer Deron a contract to see if he bites but its unlikely he'll go all out after him,

similar to the trade deadline situation