Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 600713 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #720 on: January 26, 2015, 10:38:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why so long? They already have the culprit.

Maybe they want to avoid punishing anyone until after the Super Bowl, just in case someone like Brady or Belichick turns out to be sufficiently involved that the league would look bad if it didn't suspend him for at least the next game.

The NFL keeps talking about the integrity of the game. If the NFL has either TB or BB dead to rights, they should suspend them. To do otherwise would not make a lot of sense and would create a bigger mess if the NEP win. 

It may not make sense to you, but I'd argue that the NFL does a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense.   In this case, though, I think the league is interested in the short-term goal of not having to suspend anyone before the Super Bowl while making it look like they are properly investigating this matter.  If they delay, there's a chance that Seattle wins and there's a chance that the investigation does not result in any punishment.  In the absence of a smoking gun, it is typical corporate behavior to try and defer things and hope they go away.

Just because the league talks about the integrity of the game, that doesn't mean it is actually a priority.
Very bad risk management to take a chance on the Patriots losing. If the Patriots win and the NFL knew the Patriots were guilty, that will create a s-storm. The NFL's management hasn't been great under Goodell, but I'd have to assume they were idiots of the highest order to conclude they would sit on evidence that would convict the NEP.

Kraft is doubling down as I type this.

I'm suggesting they want to slow down the pace of the investigation so they won't know for sure whether there is solid evidence until after the Super Bowl.

If the Patriots win and they turn out to be guilty of something, the line will be that it didn't affect that game or the Super Bowl.

Who remembers Gary Hart?  "Follow me around.  I don't care."  Someone boldly denying an allegation isn't evidence that the allegation isn't false.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #721 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Maybe they want to avoid punishing anyone until after the Super Bowl, just in case someone like Brady or Belichick turns out to be sufficiently involved that the league would look bad if it didn't suspend him for at least the next game.

The NFL keeps talking about the integrity of the game. If the NFL has either TB or BB dead to rights, they should suspend them. To do otherwise would not make a lot of sense and would create a bigger mess if the NEP win. 

It may not make sense to you, but I'd argue that the NFL does a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense.   In this case, though, I think the league is interested in the short-term goal of not having to suspend anyone before the Super Bowl while making it look like they are properly investigating this matter.  If they delay, there's a chance that Seattle wins and there's a chance that the investigation does not result in any punishment.  In the absence of a smoking gun, it is typical corporate behavior to try and defer things and hope they go away.

Just because the league talks about the integrity of the game, that doesn't mean it is actually a priority.
Very bad risk management to take a chance on the Patriots losing. If the Patriots win and the NFL knew the Patriots were guilty, that will create a s-storm. The NFL's management hasn't been great under Goodell, but I'd have to assume they were idiots of the highest order to conclude they would sit on evidence that would convict the NEP.

I'm suggesting they want to slow down the pace of the investigation so they won't know for sure whether there is solid evidence until after the Super Bowl.

If the Patriots win and they turn out to be guilty of something, the line will be that it didn't affect that game or the Super Bowl.

Who remembers Gary Hart?  "Follow me around.  I don't care."  Someone boldly denying an allegation isn't evidence that the allegation isn't false.

I'm with LC. The league should have approached it this way from the get-go, too. "We will be doubly vigilant up to and during the Super Bowl, so you don't need to worry about any issues of 'integrity' there. We will take our time with the investigation. Any penalties will be commensurate to the violation and can be imposed in the off season and next year. Meanwhile we ask all players, team and league officials and members of the media to refrain from baseless speculation, and turn their attention to enjoying the sporting event of the year."

« Reply #722 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm with these guys^ but it's hardly the sporting event of the year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #723 on: January 26, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm with these guys^ but it's hardly the sporting event of the year.

Their words, not mine.

« Reply #724 on: January 26, 2015, 11:14:08 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
As a culture we need to stop referring to things as (insert situation)gate. Dude we're gonna have a wicked snowgate tomorrow. I blewout my freakin hammy shovelin my driveway dood. Talk about hammygate. I swear ta gawd if I don't get my dunkins in the mornin I'll cause a coffeegate.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #725 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:58 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

I'm with LC. The league should have approached it this way from the get-go, too. "We will be doubly vigilant up to and during the Super Bowl, so you don't need to worry about any issues of 'integrity' there. We will take our time with the investigation. Any penalties will be commensurate to the violation and can be imposed in the off season and next year. Meanwhile we ask all players, team and league officials and members of the media to refrain from baseless speculation, and turn their attention to enjoying the sporting event of the year."

The NFL has the tape now of the "strong person of interest."  Patriots win the SB and the tape nails them, the NFL isn't going to have any credibility. "We took our time to watch the tape?" Good luck with that. The NFL is taking a lot of flack already. They can't sit on the tape if it's the smoking gun.

Thus, unless I assume they're dumb as rocks, the NFL doesn't have a smoking gun in the tape.

« Reply #726 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The NFL has the tape now of the "strong person of interest."  Patriots win the SB and the tape nails them, the NFL isn't going to have any credibility. "We took our time to watch the tape?" Good luck with that. The NFL is taking a lot of flack already. They can't sit on the tape if it's the smoking gun.

Thus, unless I assume they're dumb as rocks, the NFL doesn't have a smoking gun in the tape.

Baby steps.  At least they will have watched the tape this time.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #727 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
As a culture we need to stop referring to things as (insert situation)gate. Dude we're gonna have a wicked snowgate tomorrow. I blewout my freakin hammy shovelin my driveway dood. Talk about hammygate. I swear ta gawd if I don't get my dunkins in the mornin I'll cause a coffeegate.

I got locked out the gate to my house.  Gategate
Yup

« Reply #728 on: January 26, 2015, 11:42:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

i forgot to brush my teeth...... colgate!

« Reply #729 on: January 26, 2015, 11:42:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Baby steps.  At least they will have watched the tape this time.

Yeah, the NFL doesn't do so well with tapes.  First, they destroyed the Spy Gate one.  Strike 1.  Then, they didn't watch the Ray Rice one.  Strike 2.  Now, they're going to just sit on this one.

For all the blundering, though, it's not harming the bottom line, so why should they change?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #730 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Melting snow is flooding the gate to my office.  Watergate-gate.

(The funny part about that lame joke?  The thought that snow will be melting any time soon.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #731 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:46 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things

tommy points to the both of ya's for bringing a smile to me face. (read as an irish pirate)
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #732 on: January 26, 2015, 11:46:53 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Just spilt my drink... Watergate!

Edit:  Darn, Roy beat me to it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #733 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
From what I've seen, it looks like the other room that the balls were taken into was the bathroom.

For a short amount of time.

Can't a ballboy pee before the game without being "a person of interest"?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #734 on: January 26, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/video-shows-employee-taking-24-balls-into-bathroom/

On Monday, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports added the next new big piece of news in #DeflateGate, reporting that the NFL has interviewed a locker room attendant who allegedly took footballs from the officials’ locker room after they had been inspected and approved “to another area on way to field” before the start of the game.

PFT can now contribute additional details to that story.

First, per a league source, the other “area on way to field” is a bathroom.  The bathroom consists of one toilet and one sink and a door that locks from the inside.

Second, according to the same source, the person carried two bags of balls into the bathroom:  the 12 balls to be used by the Patriots and the 12 balls to be used by the Colts.

Third, from the same source, the evidence comes from a surveillance video that was discovered by the Patriots and given to the NFL early in the investigation.

Fourth, again from the same source, the video shows the employee in the bathroom for approximately 90 seconds.

Could the employee have fished 12 balls out of a fairly large bag, deflated each of them by two pounds, put them back into the bag, and exited the bathroom in roughly 90 seconds?  That question will surely become the centerpiece of the next red state/blue state debate between folks who have determined that the Patriots have done something wrong and those who are staunchly defending the franchise.

And, yes, the photo accompanying this story was taken inside one of the bathrooms at Gillette Stadium.  When NBC broadcast the Ravens-Patriots playoff game from Foxboro on January 10, Florio Jr. demanded pictures from the venue.  Since he didn’t specify where he wanted them from, I took one inside the bathroom and texted it to him.

He didn’t think it was funny.

That's not much of a smoking gun.