Author Topic: Butler “ghosted” rockets in free agency. Rockets had trades lined up  (Read 2680 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

(I wonder if the capela  trade was to the celtics )
The Houston Rockets pursued Jimmy Butler during the 2019 free agency period after they offered multiple draft picks to the Minnesota Timberwolves for him before his trade to the Philadelphia 76ers.

"Look, the Houston Rockets wanted to pay Jimmy Butler the four-year max and he ghosted them," said Tim MacMahon on the Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective Podcast. "They thought they had them and he left them hanging."

"They had trades lined up, I don't know the teams (or) the destinations, but they had trades lined up for (Clint) Capela and (Eric) Gordon. They were ready to pay Jimmy Butler. They really liked their chances and then suddenly, Jimmy had other thoughts."

Butler ultimately orchestrated a sign-and-trade to the Miami Heat. Houston kept Capela and Gordon while trading Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/12426375
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:58:11 AM by CelticsElite »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Can't blame him not wanting to stand in the corner while Harden dribbles the air out of the ball every possesion.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Good for Jimmy. That would have been a horrible fit for him.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Good for Jimmy. That would have been a horrible fit for him.

Butler is obviously the clear cut number one for the Heat, but are they really a true championship contender or just a pretender?  I think the latter.   I don’t think Butler can be a number one on a championship contender, and at the very least share the lead or a clear cut number 2 if he has championship aspirations.   It would have been interesting pair with Harden as Butler could cover a little bit for Harden’s weak defensive. 

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Can't blame him not wanting to stand in the corner while Harden dribbles the air out of the ball every possesion.

This.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jimmy clearly did not want to be a sidekick. The same reasons he didn't want to play in Philly are the same reasons he didn't want to play in Houston or LA. Jimmy wants to be the main guy, period.