Author Topic: Pistons Win 5th Straight  (Read 6937 times)

Pistons Win 5th Straight
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:14:32 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Looks like another team is about to pass Boston in the East standings. The predicted increase in production after Smith left has been incredible if not expected.

Re: Pistons Win 5th Straight
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:16:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Pistons last 5 games: Pacers, Magic, Cavs, Knicks, and Kings.

Pistons next 5 games: Spurs, Mavs, Hawks, Nets, Raptors.

Good on them for winning their last 5, but I bet they'll be 10-28 in a week or so.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:43 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

4 teams have less wins, one of whom is Detroit. Tied with LAL and CHA with 11 wins. If we go on a Knicks-esque skid we could solidify a bottom five pick before the deadline.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 01:24:14 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

Good on them for winning their last 5, but I bet they'll be 10-28 in a week or so.

Keep the Faith.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
So what is everyone's consensus, did Stan do the right thing by waiving Josh?  I guess we won't really know until the end of the year maybe, but it still seems like they are taking a huge financial hit from it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:33:22 AM by blink »

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:25 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

4 teams have less wins, one of whom is Detroit. Tied with LAL and CHA with 11 wins. If we go on a Knicks-esque skid we could solidify a bottom five pick before the deadline.

We are just one game back from the 4 seed in the all important win column.  Time to go full speed ahead with the tank.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 01:37:48 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
So what is everyone's consensus, did Stan do the right thing by waiving Josh?  I guess we won't really know until the end of the year maybe, but it still seems like they are taking a huge financial hit from it.

I think it appears evident that it was the right call.  If they couldn't move Smith, it was a sunk cost anyway.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:45:32 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Yes, it seems like it was the right move especially since they stretched him.

I know it's a polarizing topic to just outwardly be a proponent of tanking, but reading the tea leaves it seems like our best bet.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 01:54:16 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

I know it's a polarizing topic to just outwardly be a proponent of tanking, but reading the tea leaves it seems like our best bet.

It's stinks, but at this point I think tanking is the right move for this team.  I don't see how we can realistically add elite talent any other way.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 02:14:48 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

It's stinks, but at this point I think tanking is the right move for this team.  I don't see how we can realistically add elite talent any other way.

I had held onto the possibility where we parlayed some of our assets for more talented vets to put next to Rondo and Green right up until the trade. Once that happened, I just did a 180 and prioritized(vicariously) getting to the top of the draft, collecting more assets, cap space, and getting James Young minutes. From an armchair GM's perspective, it's actually much more interesting this way.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:53 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

I had held onto the possibility where we parlayed some of our assets for more talented vets to put next to Rondo and Green right up until the trade. Once that happened, I just did a 180 and prioritized(vicariously) getting to the top of the draft, collecting more assets, cap space, and getting James Young minutes. From an armchair GM's perspective, it's actually much more interesting this way.

I think we could hold on to Green if he felt waiting another year was mutually beneficial.

Otherwise we need to enter full tank mode ASAP. I said this on another thread but these "winnable" games such as tomorrow (I haven't gone to sleep yet, healthy!) will just bite us in the butt if we pull out too many.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 02:50:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I think it appears evident that it was the right call.  If they couldn't move Smith, it was a sunk cost anyway.

Have to agree here. If he was causing that much trouble and issues with chemistry on the court and couldnt be traded, I would rather pay him the 5 mil or whatever it is every year for 5 years as opposed to 13 mil a year for 2.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 02:50:55 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

I think we could hold on to Green if he felt waiting another year was mutually beneficial.

Otherwise we need to enter full tank mode ASAP. I said this on another thread but these "winnable" games such as tomorrow (I haven't gone to sleep yet, healthy!) will just bite us in the butt if we pull out too many.

As bad as we are, we are just 2 games out of 8th place.  Green needs to be on the 1st bus out of town.  Followed by anyone else that is not part of the future that could cost us losses.  Tank soon, tank hard and we could end up with the 4th worst record.  Otherwise we'll probably end up 8th to 10th worst record. 

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

I'm throwing a couple wins their way via Spurs and Nets. Call me crazy but I have no faith in the Spurs and all the Pistons need is a great quarter and a half for Pop to pull the plug. That's only if he's not already sitting guys. And the Pistons were in a game with the Nets that honestly would've been their's if not for Josh Smith.

Cheer's for optimism and being 12-26 by the end of next week!
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!