Author Topic: Big Baby likes starting, getting out of Garnett’s shadow  (Read 6940 times)

Re: Big Baby likes starting, getting out of Garnett’s shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Not to defend Baby, but his point is something to think about when we don't get the free agents we hope for, at least in part because they won't play an overly large role with the big three on the team.
Exactly.  I could not believe people were making fun of TA for his shadow quote.  It's clearly a real thing, and apparently something multiple players worry about.  "Going from Pierce's shadow to OJ Mayo's," they said.  Yeah right....

Of course Baby's situation is a little different because he's not nearly as good as Tony and belongs in someone's shadow.
Given that Baby had a chance to play nearly 30 MPG I think his idea of getting out of KG's shadow is amusing.

Tony it at least makes some sense as He could get around 24 minutes at most because Ray/Pierce use up most of the minutes at the 2/3.
Plus OJ Mayo just isn't that good.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  No surprise here.  For all the good(and bad) Glen Davis did in green it was at least apparent to me that he put his own personal agenda above the teams agenda.

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Despite his production at the collegiate and professional levels, I'd bet he's constantly been told what he's not capable of doing and that he needs to be content in the roles he's been assigned.

The man wants more.  He's entering the prime of his career and wants to forge his own legacy.  I'm sure as he ages he'll figure out what's best for his team and his career.  Thanks for the memories, Baby, and good luck.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't wait til we play Orlando.  KG will put BBD in his place. 

Out from KG's shadow?  The best PF of all time.  And our most played lineup actually had Davis and KG playing together last year with Davis at C.

Learn your role dude.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Players should be concerned with doing whatever it takes to win, not pad their stats.  We don't need fantasy players on this team.  I would have traded him for a ham sandwich just to get his attitude out of the locker room.
This is something I agree with, but I understand why players think about their own careers and future contracts.

In our jobs we look for our own advancment as well as the success of the team.

Especially since he was one of those players talent-wise that was ham-strung by the CBA rules and restricted free agency.  He wasn't really quite the kind of player a team overpays with an offers sheet, and Danny has played firm on short term, short money contracts...so he was always fighting for a chance to make the big-money deal, first in his year starting in -09 that led to RFA,then again a year and half later [last season] to try to earn something decent after the lockout. 

Obviously, the Celtics made it clear he wasn't the starter of the future...  And good for everyone that it seems that everyone got what they wanted...though I'd hate to be Orlando.

BBD is a nice 4th big, not 2nd big.

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 02:22:29 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
In the shadow of KG. BBD couldn't hold KG's jockstrap.

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm going to have to agree with BBD that he played well when he started here.  Anyone remember the 2009 playoffs (the year KG was out)?  I'm not quite sure why the fans were so quick to turn on him; he's been one of better bench players the past few years; may in fact been the best one.

NO. 

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
without Garnett, there won't be big baby, he will forever be in Garnett's shadows

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Players should be concerned with doing whatever it takes to win, not pad their stats.  We don't need fantasy players on this team.  I would have traded him for a ham sandwich just to get his attitude out of the locker room.
I think the team concept is lost on some people. Especially in this fantasy era of hero and superfriend basketball.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't know what Davis is talking about . . . Garnett is so skinny, there's NO WAY his shadow could cover him.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
Baby may be starting now, but I think Ryan Anderson is a better fit at the 4 for that Magic team. I wonder how long of a leash Van Gundy is gonna give Baby...

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I don't know what Davis is talking about . . . Garnett is so skinny, there's NO WAY his shadow could cover him.

Haha.

On a serious note, Glen Davis probably wants to be a full-time undersized PF rather than an even more undersized C. DH, at least until he's traded or leaves, will play most of the C minutes.

Davis sees:

1) $$$$

2) Easier job with mostly being a starting PF -- rather than refocusing back and forth with PF / C

3) Less competition or easier to start (No KG on the team)

4) Fullfill his own ego, in his mind, maybe a chance to make an All-Star team or multiple

BBD and TA are two guys who feel their career growth have been restricted/limited by the Big 3. This is an interesting concept of why a quality player would not want to play on this team with those 3 here.

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'm very happy with Bass, Baby is happy and Orlando is keeping Dwight happy. Win, win, win.

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »

Offline mc34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 40
Baby was money when he started in the 2009 playoffs; that's probably what he was talking about when he said he played well as a starter. As a starter last season he was really bad.