Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34287 times)

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If Ainge could have traded Perk for Green in the off-season instead of waiting until Perkins was healthy, perhaps Green would have gotten up to speed by the end of the season to where he is now and replaced Glen Davis in the crunch time lineup.  Where would the Celtics be then?

Wasn't Perk a free agent that offseason though?  And that's why Danny wanted to trade him before the deadline that way he could get something in return for Perkins who Danny was likely to let go b/c he was unwilling to give Perk the $ he wanted.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If Ainge could have traded Perk for Green in the off-season instead of waiting until Perkins was healthy, perhaps Green would have gotten up to speed by the end of the season to where he is now and replaced Glen Davis in the crunch time lineup.  Where would the Celtics be then?

Wasn't Perk a free agent that offseason though?  And that's why Danny wanted to trade him before the deadline that way he could get something in return for Perkins who Danny was likely to let go b/c he was unwilling to give Perk the $ he wanted.

It was a great and logical trade at the time that just happened to have some bad luck come along, along the way.

Presti wouldn't have traded Green in a S + T with Boston. OKC still ad some cap room, but even if he did do Green in a S + T... ... no way you dump Nate for Krstic and get the Clipper's pick (which before CP3 was acquired there looked like a potential lottery pick in the 11-14 range for us).

One thing I would love to see from ESPN or somewhere else is a stat on how many guys have scored 40+ points while defending Lebron for a lot of the game.

Only players that come to mind are Carmelo and Durant. Kobe might have done it too over the last three years. Pierce clearly did in 2008 but James wasn't as good back then.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
We have been no worse than 3rd in defensive rating post-Perkins trade.

What have consistently been one of the worst teams in the NBA on offense since (and before) the Perkins trade.

So what do Perkins is going to do?  Make our offense better?  No.  He'll marginally improve an already dominant defense and make our offense all-time bad.

« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Jeff Green was also a free agent in the off-season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Jeff Green was also a free agent in the off-season.

A restricted free-agent, it makes a difference.

I think Danny had no problem letting either of them go, but he had a better opportunity with Green to use cap space appropriately, and have other options if needed be, plus Green is simply a better player and prospect... plus he got a draft pick out of it.

« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I love Perk and am extremely proud of his growth/development and his career.

But it's looking more and more like Nate Robinson is a better and more valuable player than Perk....and that's a shame.

We won that trade at the time an we are just blowing it out of the water right now.

If Fab Melo turns out to be a serviceable big man....a la Tony Battie......the trade is a slam dunk and then some.

« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It was a bad and a good trade at the same time. I can`t blame nor congratulate DA.

Imho the trade killed a lot of C`s chances for the title that year
But it was for Boston`s best interest to trade Perk.

it depends on how you weight things. i personaly would gable by keeping Perk but it was not completely irrational move to trade him

« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
 It always amazes me when DA is willing to trade away legit or semi legit shots at a ring for fools gold down the line. Like hey that's great that Jeff Green occasionally looks good two years after you traded Perk for him. Whoop de doo.

Fab Melo.  Rookie year fail. Needed an instant impact guy. Got a project. That would be great if he turns out good....right when we don't need him.

« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Yes - credit for tossing away a likely title (2011) and for struggling ever since without a center - who we have been desperately searching for since Perk was traded.

let me count the failed replacements ....... Shaq, Jermaine, Kirstic, Stiemsma, Collins, Williams, Hollins, Wilcox, Erden, Johnson, Melo. i'm sure I missed a couple, but the point is made.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It always amazes me when DA is willing to trade away legit or semi legit shots at a ring for fools gold down the line. Like hey that's great that Jeff Green occasionally looks good two years after you traded Perk for him. Whoop de doo.

Fab Melo.  Rookie year fail. Needed an instant impact guy. Got a project. That would be great if he turns out good....right when we don't need him.

I doubt it's true we won't have need for a good center when Melo's older. And getting instant impact centers when you're picking in the 20s is a bit harder than you think.

« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2013, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39

We've gone over this a million times.

The problems with that team that year and since then:
-Bench scoring
-A guy who could guard Lebron besides Pierce

Things that were NOT a problem:
-Post defense
-Interior defense

Our team has had a TOP THREE DEFENSE EVERY YEAR POST PERKINS.
Our team has had A BOTTOM THREE BENCH SCORING UNIT THE LAST TWO YEARS (Greens first year and year without Green).

What we are seeing this year is what Ainge expected out of Jeff.  If Jeff had adjusted quicker then we likely win that year.  What happened was everything possible went wrong.  Everything that could possibly not go right, went exactly as we hoped it wouldn't.

The fact that Perkins ceiling is "mediocre role player" while Greens is "star player" is just gravy.

EDIT:
It just boggles the mind how people think our top 2 defense that year (post Perkins) with our bottom 10 offense was "giving away a sure thing" because we lost Perkins.  PERKINS IS A MASSIVE OFFENSIVE LIABILITY.   OUR DEFENSE WAS GREAT, NOT GOOD, FREAKING GREAT WITHOUT HIM.

You people are so mind boggingly stupid.  I don't understand how anyone can not understand. 

« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I doubt it's true we won't have need for a good center when Melo's older. And getting instant impact centers when you're picking in the 20s is a bit harder than you think.

In hindsight, had we picked Festus Ezeli (who went 30th), that would've been a perfect draft for Ainge.  He been fantastic for GS when Bogut's been out (pretty much all year).

« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yes - credit for tossing away a likely title (2011) and for struggling ever since without a center - who we have been desperately searching for since Perk was traded.

let me count the failed replacements ....... Shaq, Jermaine, Kirstic, Stiemsma, Collins, Williams, Hollins, Wilcox, Erden, Johnson, Melo. i'm sure I missed a couple, but the point is made.

You forgot Garnett.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »

Offline T-LoDaniels

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 13

A likely title? You do remember that Perk was coming back from a long-term injury and was REALLY bad for the Thunder in the playoffs that year? The guy could hardly move. A hurt Perkins wouldn't have made us any better

« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

failed replacements? Stiemsma was awesome, and when shaq played with rondo and the big, we were something like 38-10. It was one of the best starting 5 of all time.