Author Topic: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN  (Read 28196 times)

Re: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN
« Reply #315 on: May 15, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm surprised about how little talk there's been about the Memphis pick.

I feel like Memphis moving up is bad for the C's. Them having the 8th pick was perfect. It didn't convey but wasn't good enough to improve their team to the point that it might hurt their future pick. Now, with another #2, they might be able to improve.

Maybe the positive version of this is that they are now more likely to fully invest in a rebuild and that usually takes a long time?
so some rookie guard who plays for an unknown school in some unknown conference is going to propel Memphis to be better than which team? The warriors? Rockets? The nuggets? Clippers?
The pick is top 6 protected next year and they were the 8th worst team in the league.  They don't really have to improve all that much for them to deliver a worse pick next year and it appears there are still going to be a lot of pretty bad teams out there.

They have Jaren Jackson and now this #2 pick. They also have Conley and can get an asset for him. What if next season is bad enough they keep the pick again but Ja Morant is awesome and JJ looks good. Midseason, they nab someone terrific and would go into the 2020-21 season with a great young core that is fighting for a playoff spot. That was my worry.

But the consensus I'm seeing is people think Memphis getting #2 means they will hard tank and that's good for the C's.
Oh I agree with you.  I've been saying for months on here that it was far from given the Memphis pick would have a bunch of value as I could easily see them turn the corner and while maybe not be good, not be terrible either.

I mean their roster next year, even with just removing Conley and Parsons and not giving anything at all, is not a terrible team (not a playoff team, especially in the west, but that team could win in the mid-30's pretty easily).

PG - Morant, Carter
SG - Bradley, Brooks, Holiday
SF - Anderson, Miles, Caboclo
PF - Jackson, Rabb
C - Valanciunas

Again that is just removing Conley and not replacing him with anything which seems unlikely.  Heck maybe they fall in love with Barrett and decide to keep Conley.  That team likely is a mid-30's win team and the pick conveys to Boston at the back end of the lottery.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN
« Reply #316 on: May 15, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I'm surprised about how little talk there's been about the Memphis pick.

I feel like Memphis moving up is bad for the C's. Them having the 8th pick was perfect. It didn't convey but wasn't good enough to improve their team to the point that it might hurt their future pick. Now, with another #2, they might be able to improve.

Maybe the positive version of this is that they are now more likely to fully invest in a rebuild and that usually takes a long time?
so some rookie guard who plays for an unknown school in some unknown conference is going to propel Memphis to be better than which team? The warriors? Rockets? The nuggets? Clippers?
The pick is top 6 protected next year and they were the 8th worst team in the league.  They don't really have to improve all that much for them to deliver a worse pick next year and it appears there are still going to be a lot of pretty bad teams out there.

They have Jaren Jackson and now this #2 pick. They also have Conley and can get an asset for him. What if next season is bad enough they keep the pick again but Ja Morant is awesome and JJ looks good. Midseason, they nab someone terrific and would go into the 2020-21 season with a great young core that is fighting for a playoff spot. That was my worry.

But the consensus I'm seeing is people think Memphis getting #2 means they will hard tank and that's good for the C's.
Oh I agree with you.  I've been saying for months on here that it was far from given the Memphis pick would have a bunch of value as I could easily see them turn the corner and while maybe not be good, not be terrible either.

I mean their roster next year, even with just removing Conley and Parsons and not giving anything at all, is not a terrible team (not a playoff team, especially in the west, but that team could win in the mid-30's pretty easily).

PG - Morant, Carter
SG - Bradley, Brooks, Holiday
SF - Anderson, Miles, Caboclo
PF - Jackson, Rabb
C - Valanciunas

Again that is just removing Conley and not replacing him with anything which seems unlikely.  Heck maybe they fall in love with Barrett and decide to keep Conley.  That team likely is a mid-30's win team and the pick conveys to Boston at the back end of the lottery.

The "value" variables:
1. the perceived value that GMs have around the possibility that it could be a top pick in 2020-21 as an unprotected 1st, and,
2. the actual value in terms of the who is the pick once conveyed -- which will depend on draft # and the year it's conveyed.

If celtics keep the pick it's all about the eventual pick itself.  But in terms of trade bait for this off-season, I'm thinking that perceived value took a slight hit with Memphis getting pick #2.