Author Topic: The idea of resigning Rozier and pencil him back as starter  (Read 11324 times)

Re: The idea of resigning Rozier and pencil him back as starter
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Knicks are reportedly interested.

It's just hard for me to believe that he would put himself into the same situation probably backing up Irving that drove him crazy with the Celtics.

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It's just hard for me to believe that he would put himself into the same situation probably backing up Irving that drove him crazy with the Celtics.
Knicks are probably just doing their due diligence on FA PGs because Kyrie/Kemba are not a certainty and they really need a PG if they intend to win next year.

Morris also makes sense as a role player on a newly constructed contender. The Knicks seem pretty [dang] certain they are getting KD (and are trying to project this certainty so hard I'm skeptical), but the second guy seems more in the air.

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Knicks are probably just doing their due diligence on FA PGs because Kyrie/Kemba are not a certainty and they really need a PG if they intend to win next year.

Morris also makes sense as a role player on a newly constructed contender.

I’m positive this is nothing more than a rumor. Knicks already have Dennis Smith so there would be no use for Rozier.

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Seems like a emergency plan to me. Without diving deep into the cap I could see something like this.

Knicks get #2 or #3 pick

Knicks dont get KD

Knicks trade #2/3 + Knox + ?? for AD

Knicks sign 2nd tier FA ( Harris, Middleton, Russell [if Irving goes to Nets])

Knicks then could look to sign Rozier
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I’m positive this is nothing more than a rumor. Knicks already have Dennis Smith so there would be no use for Rozier.
1. This is a team that signed Tim Hardaway to a over-market deal that no one expected while a GM candidate was on a plane to interview with the team.

They're capable of anything.

2. Counting on Dennis Smith as a lead guard on a team that expects to contend next year is a classic Knicks move, I will grant you that.  :P (they absolutely need a quality veteran option at PG if they don't get a max FA type)

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Probably the most realistic scenario. Not sure what others are saying about not passing? He doesn't dominate the ball as much as Kyrie (not many do), the ball always moves better when he's on the court because of this.

False

https://stats.nba.com/players/passing/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*Bos&sort=PASSES_MADE&dir=1

https://stats.nba.com/players/shooting-efficiency/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*bos&sort=EFF_FG_PCT&dir=1
Link for offensive efficiencies

In relation to usage, among players that had at least 100 minutes of action, terry had the 3rd highest usage, despite bad passing numbers, and one of the worst efficiencies of the entire team

https://stats.nba.com/players/usage/?sort=USG_PCT&dir=-1&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*bos&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs

Looking at league wide numbers Kyrie is ahead of Paul and Harden for passes made.

While Rozier comes in at 70th in the league behind such passing geniuses as Gobert, Capella, Jabari parker, Danillo Gallinari, Booker, Collins, Mudiay

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Probably the most realistic scenario. Not sure what others are saying about not passing? He doesn't dominate the ball as much as Kyrie (not many do), the ball always moves better when he's on the court because of this.

Exactly

He doesnt kill the flow

Though at times he should pass instead of taking some quick shots

Tries hard on D and quickness, wingspan and fearless attitude is definitely a helping hand

When locked in Rozier and Smart makeup a very tough backcourt defensive pairing

Kyrie had a higher defensive impact in every single category last season than Terry.

https://stats.nba.com/players/defensive-impact/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*bos&sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=1

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
“We should run it back with Rozier instead of Kyrie next year!””

Rozier on First Take this morning: On @FirstTake, Terry Rozier expressed little interest in returning to the Celtics if they bring back the same team next year: “I might have to go. I put up with a lot this year, so I said what I said after the season. I think we all know I’m not trying to step into that again.”

http://twitter.com/BDCCeltics/status/1128318761612849152

“Terry Rozier has made it pretty clear today he doesn't want to be back with the Celtics, especially if they run back a lot of the same roster.

It's understandable, but it's not a great look to be this public about things. Just handle your business without all the statements.”

http://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1128319525651451904

This dude is a dumb and selfish player who has all along thought of himself over the team. Go rot in Phoenix for all I care, Rozier, you’re not the type of character we need in Boston, ya hack.

The good thing about all this dumb talk by Rozier is (a) it’s making it more and more likely that he doesn’t wear Celtics green next year, and (b) it’s just hurting his market this summer, as other teams are not going to look at these outbursts favorably.

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I want nothing to do with Rozier even if Kyrie leaves. Dude is a toxic selfish guy

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I want nothing to do with Rozier even if Kyrie leaves. Dude is a toxic selfish guy

Sounds a lot like Kyrie, no?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
All I know is, I hope all you guys that love Kyrie follow him down to NY and cheer for him there and stay on the Knicks board.

I wonder if NY knows that Dennis smith don't like Kyrie and told him he was gonna whip his ass :) And he told him that as a rookie.

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yeah him complaining about Kyrie/Hayward having the ball too much for him to do things during his FA PR tour...

You chucked so much and so often in awful spots, plus he ended up getting more time on the ball than Hayward....

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2019, 11:33:53 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

Rozier on First Take this morning: On @FirstTake, Terry Rozier expressed little interest in returning to the Celtics if they bring back the same team next year: “I might have to go. I put up with a lot this year, so I said what I said after the season. I think we all know I’m not trying to step into that again.”

“Terry Rozier has made it pretty clear today he doesn't want to be back with the Celtics, especially if they run back a lot of the same roster.

It's understandable, but it's not a great look to be this public about things. Just handle your business without all the statements.”

This dude is a dumb and selfish player who has all along thought of himself over the team. Go rot in Phoenix for all I care, Rozier, you’re not the type of character we need in Boston, ya hack.

The good thing about all this dumb talk by Rozier is (a) it’s making it more and more likely that he doesn’t wear Celtics green next year, and (b) it’s just hurting his market this summer, as other teams are not going to look at these outbursts favorably.

Also continued to throw Kyrie under the bus in the interview.

This was Danny’s one big mistake from this year. He should’ve traded him in the summer or at the very least at the deadline when it was clear Rozier had no intention of trying to be a star in his role off the bench.

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Those tweets are a bit misleading, at least in regards to Terry not wanting to be back in Boston.  Here are some other quotes from Rozier.

“I’m looking forward to just play ball. I don’t care where I go,” he said, adding that he loves it in Boston. “I expect me to get my chance, whether it’s with the Celtics or anywhere else. I feel like I can be myself and play my game wherever I go.”

“He’s a great guy. Great leader. You just have to adjust to his style,” said Rozier. “Whatever Kyrie wants done, he’s gonna show it. That’s what he wants done. And you have to adjust to his style of play and how he goes about every game every day.”

In full context, it's clear that Kyrie will determine whether or not Rozier wants to be back in Boston.  I can't find the exact quote, but Rozier also talked about Boston being the only place he knew.  I think his negativity is completely based upon the assumption that Danny will run it back with the same group.

BTW, I'm not saying I want Rozier to return.  I just think his stance against Boston will completely change if he's offered a starting role.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:39:50 AM by Green-18 »

« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Yeah him complaining about Kyrie/Hayward having the ball too much for him to do things during his FA PR tour...

You chucked so much and so often in awful spots, plus he ended up getting more time on the ball than Hayward....

I would rather see Hayward run point forward if Kyrie leaves than Rozier. Rozier to me was the main cause of a lot of on the court and off the court BS.