Author Topic: Two-Year Plan: AKA How to Win the NBA Championship in 2021 or 2022  (Read 6737 times)

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Two-year plan starting with 2019 offseason and 2019-2020 season:

Jaylen: It’s a make-or-break year. If he is not an all-star at the deadline, I want him moved for a matching 1-2 year contract of a journeyman and 1-2 picks.

Jayson: I’m more optimistic about Jayson, believing he can be the next Durant. At this point, I say we head into 2019-2020 with Tatum as our number one scoring option just like during our 2018 playoff run. Help him grow into an all-star this year or next. If he fails to hit that level by February 2021, move him for a matching expiring contract and 1-2 picks.

Kemba: Our All-NBA PG is our key facilitator and needs to not be overused so we can have him ready for championship runs in 2-4 seasons. Hopefully he’ll be ok letting Tatum and Brown prove themselves this year. He’s our undisputed leader among the players, a truly high character guy who has already made me say “Kyrie who?”, and we’re very fortunate to have him.

Hayward: Our fourth option unless we move Brown at the deadline, this season ought to be Hayward as good as he is ever going to be again. Nobody is touching this contract and he’s definitely opting in next offseason. Treating Hayward respectfully and letting his full contract play out will serve us well in future free agency recruitments. Hayward may end up spending the rest of his career with us, albeit likely at a much lower figure come 2021 unless he returns to all-star form (seems unlikely at this point, but who knows?).

Smart: Our glue guy, he ought to be our sixth man unless Brown gets moved at the deadline in which case we make him our starting two indefinitely. I love Smart’s grit and, with the exception of Kemba, he’s the only player I’m almost certain will be on the roster in 2021-2022.

Kanter, Theis & R. Williams: Split the big man time between the three. I’d take a flier on Boogie so we have a four-big men rotation this season, but who knows. I say we give Kanter the start (or Boogie) and hopefully Williams replaces him at some point in the season. I am presuming we’re going with Kemba/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Kanter, so Theis would spell Tatum. I think Williams can be a stand-out defensive center, but he needs to dramatically improve his offensive game. Even if he does not, he may prove to be a solid backup defensive/rebounding center for 2021-beyond. There’s only one ball, so I do not see any problem with defensive-rebounding centers (admittedly I’m biased since I was always a defensive/rebounding 4/5 as a kid).

Langford and G. Williams: Give them rotational minutes, particularly since there is no guarantee Brown or Tatum will develop into all-stars. Maybe they can? Or, personally, I’d try moving them for this, so we can add a PF who may develop into an all-star (loved his dad) while also having a solid backup at the 3: http://tradenba.com/trades/HyMoUlhxS

Yabusele and Ojeleye: Filler who will probably never be worthy of huge rotational minutes. Dump them at some point before 2021-2022.

Morris: Try to pull off a S&T for a future protected first. Otherwise, let him walk. Same with Wanamaker, although we’re talking a heavily protected second in his case (if we’re extremely lucky).

Who was our second-round pick this year? Whoever he is, let him practice and learn on the bench. I suppose there’s always a Jokic or Middleton to be found in the second-round, but it’s like winning the lottery. I rarely pay attention to these second round guys and think teams overvalue those picks.

2020 offseason:

- If Brown is an all-star, give him the max he is offered. If he did not become an all-star, he should have been moved at the deadline for pick(s).

- If Kanter opts out, look for a journeyman center as a backup and hand the keys to R. Williams.

- Hayward obviously will opt-in.

- If we have Sabonis, re-sign him by matching whatever the best offer is. If we still have Langford and G. Williams, which I’m going to presume is the case rather than Sabonis, we’ll give them more minutes in 2020-2021 obviously. I do like Langford’s game.

- I say be restrained, continue to emphasize that Kemba and Tatum (and Brown if he stays) are the core, and stay the course by only signing backup players to one-year contracts (you’ll see why below). This is a weak free agency class whereas 2021 may have some huge players available. Hopefully the Memphis pick brings us a killer big man.

2021 offseason:

- If Tatum is an all-star, give him the max he is offered. If he did not become an all-star, he should have been moved for picks.

- If Brown and Tatum are gone, we’ll basically have Kemba, Smart and R. Williams on the books, and either Sabonis or Langford/G. Williams plus our 2020 rookies. This means with Hayward gone, we can go all-in for Giannis (10% chance maybe? But if you told us two years ago that the Nets would have Kyrie and KD in 2019, how hard would we have laughed?). You just never know. A great consolation prize would be Gobert, the best defensive big man in the game today. If it is possible to build around Giannis, Gobert and Kemba, we move whatever pieces are necessary to make the cap figures work. That team would win the 2022 title almost certainly.

- If Brown or Tatum, just one of them, is an all-star we find a way to add Gobert OR Giannis. This would be enough to win it all in 2022, too.

- Hopefully Tatum, Brown and Kemba are all-stars in Boston in 2021 and we just won the championship, in which case we simply continue to draft smartly, manage the cap well, and win, win, win!

Thoughts? Your alternative plan?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:12:34 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Two-Year Plan: AKA How to Win the NBA Championship in 2021 or 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 06:36:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think hayward re-signs at a discount to try to win with stevens

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So your plan is for Brown and/or Tatum to become all stars or sign one or more all stars. I can't believe nobody has thought of this before!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:29:30 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
So your plan is for Brown and/or Tatum to become all stars or sign one or more all stars. I can't believe nobody has thought of this before!

There’s no need to be rude. The devil is in the details. Others may have different ideas on dealing with the next two years. Let’s hear your ideas?

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I think hayward re-signs at a discount to try to win with stevens

Agreed.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:36:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

There’s no need to be rude. The devil is in the details. Others may have different ideas on dealing with the next two years. Let’s hear your ideas?
It’s true, why start a new thread with 0 new insight?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Let’s hear your ideas?

We need to hear plans forward to build optimism. I’m hoping some folks can lay out their thoughts, which may be far superior to mine. Some may disagree with trading Brown and Tatum if they do not become all-stars. Some may have their eyes on trade ideas that differ. Some may have thoughts on free agency in 2020. So on and so forth.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 08:52:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

Alright lets keep it civil.

There is insight provided each year involving the different players and options. This is a solid post by the OP.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

There is insight provided each year involving the different players and options. This is a solid post by the OP.

Thank you. I’m trying to generate some positive ideas so I can build my optimism. This time last month, I thought we would have a ten-man rotation of Kyrie, AD, Al, Smart, Hayward, Morris, Theis, Williams, Wanamaker, and a MLE big. So, I really do need positivity to get over that lost dream of a championship next year.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 09:08:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

Thank you. I’m trying to generate some positive ideas so I can build my optimism. This time last month, I thought we would have a ten-man rotation of Kyrie, AD, Al, Smart, Hayward, Morris, Theis, Williams, Wanamaker, and a MLE big. So, I really do need positivity to get over that lost dream of a championship next year.

Yeah that's fair. I actually credit Danny for doing what he did despite things not working out (no AD trade + Kyrie and Horford leaving). Could actually be even worse. Instead we managed to add Kemba, Kanter, and some solid depth + guys who seem like team players.

Also, that 2021 FA class could be golden again. Maybe if we can find a way to have cap space for that summer...  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 09:14:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

So you think we're going to get 1-2 unprotected 1sts each for Jaylen and Jayson when they are being traded because they aren't stars?  So you think we're going to get a protected 1st by signing and trading Morris? 

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Yeah that's fair. I actually credit Danny for doing what he did despite things not working out (no AD trade + Kyrie and Horford leaving). Could actually be even worse. Instead we managed to add Kemba, Kanter, and some solid depth + guys who seem like team players.

Also, that 2021 FA class could be golden again. Maybe if we can find a way to have cap space for that summer...  ;)

Absolutely. Not just Giannis and Gobert, but potentially Oladipo, McCollum, DeRozan, maybe even George if he opts out due to being sick of Westbrook. So many options, which is why I strongly advocate for dealing Brown if he’s not an all-star at the deadline of his final year. Same goes for Tatum. If they’re not all-stars after almost four years, they almost surely will never be superstars who deliver championships. 

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Let’s hear your ideas?

We need to hear plans forward to build optimism. I’m hoping some folks can lay out their thoughts, which may be far superior to mine. Some may disagree with trading Brown and Tatum if they do not become all-stars. Some may have their eyes on trade ideas that differ. Some may have thoughts on free agency in 2020. So on and so forth.

I don't want two Jeff Greens on our team if it comes down to that  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 09:19:31 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

So you think we're going to get 1-2 unprotected 1sts each for Jaylen and Jayson when they are being traded because they aren't stars?  So you think we're going to get a protected 1st by signing and trading Morris?

Do think it’s a possibility to get from a 2019-2020 lottery team one unprotected 2021 or 2022 pick for Brown and one unprotected 2022 or 2023 pick for Tatum. Assuming they are not all-stars but good starters who may yet develop into fringe all-stars (not what we want). I could see playoff teams making a run in 2019-2020 giving up two unprotected picks where that team is confident they’ll be in the playoffs those two years (e.g., Brown to the Jazz, who deal their 2020 pick that is definitely non-lottery and their 2022 unprotected first).

In terms of Morris, I can see someone giving a protected first somewhere in 2022-2024 for him. A playoff team making a run. If not, let him walk.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 09:35:38 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
BTW, assuming Davis resigns with LA, the only potential big free agent next offseason is Draymond. He could be a great third guy if Kemba and Tatum are all-NBA in 2019-2020. Would be hilarious if LeBron/AD is the next Kobe/Dwight, and AD jumps ship. We would probably be unstoppable with AD, Kemba and Tatum assuming Tatum becomes an all-star.

Regardless of whether we add a marquee free agent next year, which is extremely unlikely given Hayward’s contract (not to mention the apparent commitment of Draymond to GS and AD to LA), I like the idea of cheap one year deals for Crowder, Turner and Jerebko for veteran depth at 8-10.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:45:51 PM by GreenlyGreeny »