Author Topic: As a fan, are championships the only thing that matter?  (Read 19757 times)

Re: As a fan, are championships the only thing that matter?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think I'd rather watch KG lose Game 7 than watch Ron Artest hoist the championship trophy while wearing Celtic green.

This is just silly......you'd rather watch your team lose in heartbreaking fashion than win a championship with artest on our team? Really silly line of thinking there.

Call me silly, then. I think I would.

I don't root for the laundry. I root for the players, especially the ones that instill me with pride. I'd hate it if Ron Artest were traded to the Celtics. Would absolutely hate it.

You have it backwards. So if you don't like the players on the team you're no longer a celtics fan? I root for whoever wears that celtic jersey. I root for players but nobody is more important than the team. Nobody is more important than the boston celtics.

I've never experienced the existential dilemma of seeing a player I absolutely hated playing for my favorite team.

But yes, if I felt the roster of the Boston Celtics no longer represented anything redeeming, honorable, or otherwise good, I wouldn't root for them.

Would you root for the Celtics if they somehow were a collection of PED-using thugs who engaged in criminal behavior during the offseason?
Kevin Garnett is probably the dirtiest player in basketball and says some of the most reprehensible things on the court.  He isn't very likeable and never has been.  yet I root for him like I would any Celtic.

As a fan you root for the front of the jersey not the name on the back.

Yeah, somehow I don't equate a dirty mouth and sharp elbows with outright punching a smaller player (Brandon Knight).

You're probably right, I'm biased because I'm a Celtic fan.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think I have any singular approach to how I root for a team, or, what is most important.  It depends on the situation.

Championships are inportant, but not at the expense of discarding thos who got you there previously like yesterday's trash.  Guys like Antoine, who never truly won anything here, I can deal with moving on from.

I don't need my teams to win the title every year.  I do need them to care, be enjoyable to watch, and prefer them to be competetive (or making progress towards it).  Sometimes those desires run in oppostion to loyalty, in which case, as I said above, depends on the players and how worthy of my loyalty I find them to be.

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
No, they're not.  The bad thing about championships is you're never sure you're getting one until shortly before you do, and then the season's over and it's on to the next one. 

It's the journey, not the destination.  Banners are the finish line but how we get there, how we watch players develop and mesh and excel, is the important thing.  Plus, basketball is the greatest game on Earth imo, and the C's usually play it pretty well.

What good is the journey if you don't reach the destination? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not, but sports are 100% a waste of time, unless you make your living from it or something.  If you don't enjoy the sport for its own sake, I can't see how a bunch of guys you don't know hanging a big piece of cloth with a number on it can have any value.

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It's obviously big.

But I think the fact that I am more proud of last years Celtics team, that lost in the ECF, than of any team I've ever watched, says that it's not everything.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I think I'd rather watch KG lose Game 7 than watch Ron Artest hoist the championship trophy while wearing Celtic green.

This is just silly......you'd rather watch your team lose in heartbreaking fashion than win a championship with artest on our team? Really silly line of thinking there.

Call me silly, then. I think I would.

I don't root for the laundry. I root for the players, especially the ones that instill me with pride. I'd hate it if Ron Artest were traded to the Celtics. Would absolutely hate it.

You have it backwards. So if you don't like the players on the team you're no longer a celtics fan? I root for whoever wears that celtic jersey. I root for players but nobody is more important than the team. Nobody is more important than the boston celtics.

I've never experienced the existential dilemma of seeing a player I absolutely hated playing for my favorite team.

But yes, if I felt the roster of the Boston Celtics no longer represented anything redeeming, honorable, or otherwise good, I wouldn't root for them.

Would you root for the Celtics if they somehow were a collection of PED-using thugs who engaged in criminal behavior during the offseason?
Kevin Garnett is probably the dirtiest player in basketball and says some of the most reprehensible things on the court.  He isn't very likeable and never has been.  yet I root for him like I would any Celtic.

As a fan you root for the front of the jersey not the name on the back.

Yeah, somehow I don't equate a dirty mouth and sharp elbows with outright punching a smaller player (Brandon Knight).

You're probably right, I'm biased because I'm a Celtic fan.

I love kg as much as the next but hmm he's famously known for things like idk intentionally whacking Channing Frye in the family jewels and delivering cheap shots to players, more deliberately smaller white players...so yeah you're not objective

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hmmmm. How do I put this delicately?  Yes championships are the only thing that matter.  Maybe out there somewhere in Losertown they like watching loser players and loser franchises, but I'm a New England fan and I absolutely don't.   I have to think a franchise and players are at least aspiring to being a championship team.  That's why I would never have been a Clippers fan if I had lived in LA. Your players and whatnot have to at least put some fear into the other team.  That's why Boston wasn't supporting the Bruins for a long time and stopped supporting Pitino. It was clear he didn't have the ability to win. Then he had the gall to try to tell us no good players would be walking through the door while being paid as coach and GM. Go to Loserville Kentucky.  This is New England. We don't tolerate mediocrity here. Yes the last 12ish years have been really good to us. I'd say it's akin to dating kinda ok looking girls, then suddenly girls are kinda coming after you and you start dating Euro models. You can go for the personality. I ain't going back. Loser.

And if Boston goes to war with New York some day I'm not going to play for second place then either.

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
No, they're not.  The bad thing about championships is you're never sure you're getting one until shortly before you do, and then the season's over and it's on to the next one. 

It's the journey, not the destination.  Banners are the finish line but how we get there, how we watch players develop and mesh and excel, is the important thing.  Plus, basketball is the greatest game on Earth imo, and the C's usually play it pretty well.

What good is the journey if you don't reach the destination? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not, but sports are 100% a waste of time, unless you make your living from it or something.  If you don't enjoy the sport for its own sake, I can't see how a bunch of guys you don't know hanging a big piece of cloth with a number on it can have any value.

And yet here we are..

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Well yeah. You don't sell your soul.  That's totally different

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
It takes alot for me to call a season that isn't ended with a championship a success. Not sure I've ever done it before. I jump on pats fans that try to tell me this season was a success and i should be proud. Are you kidding me?

I should be proud of our explosive offense once again disappearing in the playoffs? I should be proud of the "GOAT" tom brady once again having a terrible game when it matters most? You can be proud, I'm not. That being said i can't wait until next season and i still love my team. Oh wait, we were talking about the celtics weren't we? lol.

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Hmmmm. How do I put this delicately?  Yes championships are the only thing that matter.  Maybe out there somewhere in Losertown they like watching loser players and loser franchises, but I'm a New England fan and I absolutely don't.   I have to think a franchise and players are at least aspiring to being a championship team.  That's why I would never have been a Clippers fan if I had lived in LA. Your players and whatnot have to at least put some fear into the other team.  That's why Boston wasn't supporting the Bruins for a long time and stopped supporting Pitino. It was clear he didn't have the ability to win. Then he had the gall to try to tell us no good players would be walking through the door while being paid as coach and GM. Go to Loserville Kentucky.  This is New England. We don't tolerate mediocrity here. Yes the last 12ish years have been really good to us. I'd say it's akin to dating kinda ok looking girls, then suddenly girls are kinda coming after you and you start dating Euro models. You can go for the personality. I ain't going back. Loser.

And if Boston goes to war with New York some day I'm not going to play for second place then either.

Please speak only for yourself.  You do not represent all of New England.

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Is this a joke or are you completely unfamiliar with Kentucky basketball fans? 

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Please speak only for yourself.  You do not represent all of New England.
So when I said "This is New England. We don't tolerate mediocrity" I guess I should have said. "This is New England. I don't tolerate mediocrity in my sports. KG's Knee isn't so sure".

Is that a little more accurate?

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Were any of us born the last time Louisville won a championship? They're a good team. I said championships.

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Eja, I'm guessing you must be a rather unhappy sports fan if your only satisfaction comes from winning titles.

You do realize, for all the success Boston teams have had over the years, they still "lose" far more often than they "win".

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Were any of us born the last time Louisville won a championship? They're a good team. I said championships.

I thought you meant Kentucky, where he won a championship.  And the fans there make the Celtics fan base look low-key and forgiving.