Poll

Would it help

Yes.
13 (92.9%)
No
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Would a pass-first playmaking point guard off the Bench help?  (Read 1378 times)

Would a pass-first playmaking point guard off the Bench help?
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
What do you think? Would a playmaking passing ball handler of the bench help instead of having rozier be the PG?

I like wannamaker but referring to someone more talented with quicker speed and better vision.

Wonder if there will be any available help point guard veterans getting bought out near trade deadline
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:16:50 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Would a pass-first playmaking point guard off the Bench help?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 01:41:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
What do you think? Would a playmaking passing ball handler of the bench help instead of having rozier be the PG?

I like wannamaker but referring to someone more talented with quicker speed and better vision.

Wonder if there will be any available help point guard veterans getting bought out near trade deadline

I thought that's what Gordon was supposed to be for us but I feel he's initiating even less of the play than Rozier is.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:14:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I thought that's what Gordon was supposed to be for us but I feel he's initiating even less of the play than Rozier is.
I think that’s more due to the fact that CBS insists on giving Rozier the ball to initiate despite all the evidence that he’s trash.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:15:39 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't know but I bet a tactical Nuke would - especially IF this team can't get it together.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:22:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Could there have been a worse start to the game for Rozier tonight? TO, blown coverage on a 3, TO. I have been a Rozier fan, but would much prefer Rondo leading the 2nd unit right now over him.

This team blows right now and I am not sure what else they can really do to improve other than hit more shots. They are supposed to be more talented than other teams, but that is certainly not obvious to all of us.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:30 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
We need to clone Marcus Smart. 1 to start, another to come off the bench.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 05:34:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Could there have been a worse start to the game for Rozier tonight? TO, blown coverage on a 3, TO. I have been a Rozier fan, but would much prefer Rondo leading the 2nd unit right now over him.

This team blows right now and I am not sure what else they can really do to improve other than hit more shots. They are supposed to be more talented than other teams, but that is certainly not obvious to all of us.

I guess he could have fouled Russell on the 3 and then got T’d up. But other than that, no.

There are so many problems right now with everyone’s role, I really think only Smart and Morris are happy.

Horford looks like he’s going through the motions, Hayward doesn’t care what happens on or off the court, Rozier wants to be traded, Tatum wants 20 shots a game, Kyrie wants 30 (and an 85% usage rate), and Brown just wants to go back to college.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 05:39:07 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I guess he could have fouled Russell on the 3 and then got T’d up. But other than that, no.

There are so many problems right now with everyone’s role, I really think only Smart and Morris are happy.

Horford looks like he’s going through the motions, Hayward doesn’t care what happens on or off the court, Rozier wants to be traded, Tatum wants 20 shots a game, Kyrie wants 30 (and an 85% usage rate), and Brown just wants to go back to college.

A lot of these are crap.

Horford isn't 100% and is on a time restriction even with his primary backup injured.
Hayward still isn't there yet, tentative and looks like too concerned with how his teammates feel about him taking more shots and not playing well.
Rozier wants more PT and more chance to show off for a new contract.
Kyrie just wants to win and it looks like their performance is starting to concern him.
Brown is inconsistent, but mostly has played better recently, although he still has some lapses.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 06:18:11 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

A lot of these are crap.

Horford isn't 100% and is on a time restriction even with his primary backup injured.
Hayward still isn't there yet, tentative and looks like too concerned with how his teammates feel about him taking more shots and not playing well.
Kyrie just wants to win and it looks like their performance is starting to concern him.
Brown is inconsistent, but mostly has played better recently, although he still has some lapses.

Nothing you’ve said contradicts what I said. You’re just sugar-coating it and making excuses for everyone when I’ve finally reached the point where I’m gonna stop doing that. It’s too far into the season to justify this poor play.

Horford has been crap most of the season.

Hayward has again stopped driving with intent, now it’s just to kick. He stands in a corner now and eases up on defense more and more often.

If you think Rozier wouldn’t welcome a trade, you’re in denial.

Tatum would take 82 games of him scoring 34 in blowout losses than 13 on 9 shots in wins.

Kyrie wants to be the leader, but he just wants others to play better around him without actually leading. Then seemingly show up his teammate and coach and then call other teammates out in the media with lies (Cavs always played hard?!? I guess he was excluding himself, LeBron, and JR, amongst others). Here’s his chance to step up and be the leader he aspires to be.

And Brown certainly hasn’t taken the leap a guy of his talent, athleticism, and intelligence should. Instead he’s been relegated to the bench and clearly not fitting in with some of the other personalities in this team.

Of course if they come out and beat Toronto, nobody will care all that much about the absolute dud in Brooklyn. But if they smoke us at home, the problem is very real with the psyche of this team. We need to show up for this one. No coming out flat or giving up 44 in the third. This game is now more important than it should’ve been.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 06:27:58 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27

A lot of these are crap.

Nothing you’ve said contradicts what I said. You’re just sugar-coating it and making excuses for everyone when I’ve finally reached the point where I’m gonna stop doing that. It’s too far into the season to justify this poor play.

Horford has been crap most of the season.

Hayward has again stopped driving with intent, now it’s just to kick. He stands in a corner now and eases up on defense more and more often.

If you think Rozier wouldn’t welcome a trade, you’re in denial.

Tatum would take 82 games of him scoring 34 in blowout losses than 13 on 9 shots in wins.

Kyrie wants to be the leader, but he just wants others to play better around him without actually leading. Then seemingly show up his teammate and coach and then call other teammates out in the media with lies (Cavs always played hard?!? I guess he was excluding himself, LeBron, and JR, amongst others). Here’s his chance to step up and be the leader he aspires to be.

And Brown certainly hasn’t taken the leap a guy of his talent, athleticism, and intelligence should. Instead he’s been relegated to the bench and clearly not fitting in with some of the other personalities in this team.

Of course if they come out and beat Toronto, nobody will care all that much about the absolute dud in Brooklyn. But if they smoke us at home, the problem is very real with the psyche of this team. We need to show up for this one. No coming out flat or giving up 44 in the third. This game is now more important than it should’ve been.

Meh, everyone knows the season only really starts after the trade deadline.

The struggles still really really sucks, but let's just see what happens.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:58:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We just needs somebody who blends in back there, who isn’t out to get his.

I would be thrilled with a 3 and D backup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

A George Hill kinda guy would be excellent IMO
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

A George Hill kinda guy would be excellent IMO
Hill wouldn't suck but I agree that the second unit needs some modification where Hayward can focus on being more of a scorer than facilitator.   Rozier isn't fitting in with that unit because he's no facilitator (never has been) which puts more offensive burden on Hayward and cannot get Brown untracked with his offense.  Rozier, until last night, seems to fit better with the starters because he's basically inserted into a PG role where the PG is a primary scoring option.

I'm coming around to trading Rozier by the deadline to get a PG that can run an offense, play D and hit outside shots to keep the opposing defense honest.  Preferably someone better than Rozier if one is available and costs us an additional asset like Yabu, Semi or a late first draft pick.  didn't like the idea of breaking team chemistry and the impact in the lockerroom but now feeling that's less of a concern at this point.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
We need to clone Marcus Smart. 1 to start, another to come off the bench.

As Eddie20 suggested in another thread, Patrick Beverley.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.  Great defender, an instigator, better passer than Rozier, and veteran who would know his role.  Rozier and Bird gets it done from a salary stand point.