Author Topic: At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?  (Read 5491 times)

Re: At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yes. 

I think Irving not resigning is some wishful thinking by some posters.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the season would have to end very badly for Kyrie to consider going elsewhere.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 03:17:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think the season would have to end very badly for Kyrie to consider going elsewhere.

Like, the team missing the playoffs and Danny running over Kyrie's dog, bad.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Kyrie has got a big ego. He won't want to leave Boston a failure. He wants to prove himself; prove that he is capable of being the #1 guy on the team (not being in LeBron or anyone else's shadow), of leading a team, of being a leader and of winning in the playoffs.

That ego part of him is more important than winning and that ego is best served by staying in Boston.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have no doubts he'll re-sign. This is still one of the best situations in the NBA for him and for anyone. I think if this stuff isn't cleared up in the playoffs, the team is going to make some changes but Kyrie is almost certainly here to stay.

Can you provide a link or something for the "Cavs teams always played hard" quote? I didn't hear that.

Unless you're talking about this, in which case, it's not the same thing and you're not quoting him at all:

“I was on the oldest team in the league. Guys were on, I don’t want to say their last legs, but it’s all or nothing. Their window was closing, so they knew it,” he said. “Their joy in what they were doing was coming from a place of ‘this is my last thing that I’m doing before my career is over. I’m trying to win a championship.’ Every single day was built towards that. Here, these guys are coming into a window where it’s very big, they have 14 years, 13 years, however many years you wanna say, and you know the emphasis on every day doing it, it doesn’t become important to some young guys until they get later in their career.”
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/01/boston-celtics-star-kyrie-irving-boils-teams-problems-down-to-one-word-experience.html

Even Hayward/Horford doesnt talk down on the young guys like this

They may say it on a positive light but not when team is struggling

Does Irving not understand what happened last season (reaching ECF)

Stop using age as the problem

Yeah, I think Kyrie is causing / creating a bigger divide within the team by his comments to the media as opposed to fixing them.

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

If you asked me before the season began I would've had zero doubt that Irving would re-sign. During the last months I've seen a Kyrie who has been fully committed to the mission of the Celtics.

He tries to share the ball to make everybody comfortable, which led to him being too unselfish at the start with bad results as the young guys weren't able to step up to being primary scorers. After that he played more to his own style, but also played hard on defense every night. Leading by example. However we've seen that others unfortunately didn't follow the example he set.

I believe that Kyrie is pointing this out by his remark that he should be a better leader and that players don't understand what it takes to go to the NBA Finals. He also has questioned the shot selection and mentality of his teammates, because he's severely disappointed how the season is going so far. Considering that (kind of) fall out to coach Stevens in Orlando I'm also convinced that Kyrie isn't happy with the leadership or lack thereof. In his view players need to be held accountable and that at this moment he's the only one able to carry the team.

Kyrie understands the importance of home court advantage and is keen on getting that #1 seed. He only has one thing on his mind: trying to win a championship. I don't think Kyrie will make a rash decision, but a first round exit and chemistry issues with the staff and teammates may change his mind on committing the rest of his prime to Boston.

So I have become a little worried. I don't think we can win a championship without Irving in the short term. By the way, I'm fully on Irving's side. His latest commentary isn't making the situation better, but a lot has happened and we don't know what has been said during those team meetings. In Irving I see one of the few players on the Celtics that has been playing with the right attitude consistently.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I think after the Celtics recent struggles and Kyrie's obvious frustration with the C's development there is at least a chance that he doesn't resign.  Not sure what that % would be though.

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think he should leave - let him go to a fanbase that doesn't actively root for him to fail. Then we can resign what's left of Isaiah Thomas' hip and the ghost of Avery Bradley after the Clips decline his TO.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'd say the odds may have dipped due to a thus-far disappointing season. Say, from 95 to 85%.

Rozier is probably as much Kyrie insurance in the offseason as anything.  Just in case. 

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think he should leave - let him go to a fanbase that doesn't actively root for him to fail. Then we can resign what's left of Isaiah Thomas' hip and the ghost of Avery Bradley after the Clips decline his TO.
TP! Some Celts fans are acting incredibly entitled, and just ridiculous. Bring back Kelly!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yes. 

I think Irving not resigning is some wishful thinking by some posters.
Is this true? I don't even want to know so I'm not reading anymore in this thread but that's messed up. He's not perfect but he knows the game very well and is really good at it. But whatever. I guess some things drive people to madness.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 05:34:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
anything short of making the finals, does anyone sincerely believe Irving is a shoe in to resign with the Celts?

I disliked him being hard on Hayward on the last play. Also during the timeout before the last play, you can see him ordering CBS around, instead of listening

After the game.....  what a pouty interview.  And he threw so many players under the bus...  the only player he wasn't hard on was himself

also this BS quote

"his Cavs teams always played hard"

Irving as a talent is not a problem. He is a gifted scorer.   Irving as a leader is below average.

I know many folks here are thinking, lets just weather the storm and make it into the playoffs..... it will be different.   Everything will click

But will it really?   A few losses to below average teams in the regular and you get the many issues above.....what is going to happen after one or two losses in the 1st round (1st two games) for example?   

Why? Hayward botched the play and how do you know that Stevens even drew up a good play to begin with?

Anyway, yes I think (and hope) he will re-sign.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

And don't forget we need Ainge to re-acquire Olynyk so we can stare at that beautiful blonde hair of his.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 05:37:54 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think he will as there are no better situations out there ATM. That can change. However, I'd put my money on him resigning.
Mike Gorman touched it a bit on last Celtics podcast, saying he thinks he will resign, but you never know once he really gets there, meaning FA.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
anything short of making the finals, does anyone sincerely believe Irving is a shoe in to resign with the Celts?

I disliked him being hard on Hayward on the last play. Also during the timeout before the last play, you can see him ordering CBS around, instead of listening

After the game.....  what a pouty interview.  And he threw so many players under the bus...  the only player he wasn't hard on was himself

also this BS quote

"his Cavs teams always played hard"

Irving as a talent is not a problem. He is a gifted scorer.   Irving as a leader is below average.

I know many folks here are thinking, lets just weather the storm and make it into the playoffs..... it will be different.   Everything will click

But will it really?   A few losses to below average teams in the regular and you get the many issues above.....what is going to happen after one or two losses in the 1st round (1st two games) for example?   

Why? Hayward botched the play and how do you know that Stevens even drew up a good play to begin with?

Anyway, yes I think (and hope) he will re-sign.

So Kyrie is king now and everyone else can kneel before him?