Author Topic: Why do people care so much about Tatum for MVP?  (Read 2367 times)

Why do people care so much about Tatum for MVP?
« on: March 03, 2024, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Watching the Patriots documentary reminds me of the 00/01 Patriots coming out as a team for the Super bowl. At that point, they didn't have any stars, at least on offense. They won the championship as a team and it felt amazing.

Both the national and local media are talking about Tatum and whether he deserves MVP. Do fans on this blog care about this? For me, I just want a championship, and would much prefer if Tatum wins the Finals MVP.

I'm fine if Jokic, Embiid, or SGA win. The Celtics are awesome because they are a very talented team.

Re: Why do people care so much about Tatum for MVP?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 06:56:58 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
MVP debates have never been something that even remotely interest me. Looking back at any given season, I couldn’t even tell you who won the award that year. What I can tell you is what team won the title that season - which is all that matters.

But as the season wraps up the media LOVES talking MVP more and more, unfortunately.

Tony Soprano was wrong: “remember when” isn’t the lowest form of conversation; “who will win MVP?” is. Lol.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 07:20:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I’m in the don’t care camp. Championship matters. But I’m not into debates on MVP, Hall of Fame, number in rafters, GOAT, etc.  Glad for him if he gets it but I really don’t care. 

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 07:38:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It would be great if Tatum (or any Celtic) won, but I don't care much about that. I just want NBA title banners.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 07:59:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
It’s a long season with lots of days the Celtics don’t even play. This forum would be terrible if we only ever discussed if the Celtics could win the championship

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 08:30:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm sure some people are. I suppose it's because he's a Celtic and we are interested in anything that is Celtic-related. Just like we are interested in how many of our players end up as All-Stars, or All-NBA, or DPOY, or whether Joe wins COTY, or if we can go on a 20 game win streak, or if we get the No1 seed, or whether Kornet should grow a lumberjack beard and shave his head to look more intimidating, or whether Jrue will take a discount and re-up with us this offseason, or...and this is the big one...if we can finally hang Banner 18 up in the rafters. Those are just a few of the Celtics-related topics that I'm interested in, at least :police:

I agree, the championship is the most important thing...if we don't win one many of us will be upset for days at least I would imagine, while if JT misses out on MVP nobody here will lose much sleep over it. But it's a fun topic of conversation  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 08:35:49 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I care more about him winning finals mvp and proving me and all his doubters wrong. He’s not the regular season mvp and the recent campaign for it is annoying

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 08:57:55 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
For me, the first goal is winning Banner 18. If after that Tatum wants to statpad and win MVP, go ahead. Until Tatum wins his first one, he'll be scrutinized a bit whether fair or not. Draymond is right, it was only one series but it wasn't a good look that Tatum was poor in the 2022 Finals. We can nitpick a lot of different things and obviously Curry was phenomenal, but if Tatum simply outplayed Wiggins which he should have done, the C's win that series. But instead, Tatum sucked and Wiggins played well especially that pivotal Game 5 to help Golden State. It's unfortunate but that's just what happened.

Winning Banner 18 and ideally a Finals MVP would be a lot more awesome. 

I mean, Embiid won MVP and he gets scrutinized a ton for his playoff failures. Jokic won last year but honestly if they hadn't won then I think he'd be getting more scrutiny than he does now where everyone treats him like a god. Before winning last year I saw a lot of people downplaying Jokic and complaining about his defense too (admittedly myself included). That's just how it is now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 11:05:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think fans care "so much", but it's nice to see guys get recognized, particularly when they're contributing to winning.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 05:51:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
As I see it: He's the best player on the best team and the team is performing so far above the rest of the field that it's difficult to make a reasonable argument for giving it to another player, especially in the absence of something superhuman like Westbrook's triple-double season.

But I think generally it's something to talk about as the season starts to matter less, and it's a hot topic of conversation because it draws on a conversation across the top 5-10 teams.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 07:04:47 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
As I see it: He's the best player on the best team and the team is performing so far above the rest of the field that it's difficult to make a reasonable argument for giving it to another player, especially in the absence of something superhuman like Westbrook's triple-double season.

But I think generally it's something to talk about as the season starts to matter less, and it's a hot topic of conversation because it draws on a conversation across the top 5-10 teams.

The Celtics are likely still a fairly high seeded playoff team without Tatum. The other top 5 candidates teams don’t even make the playoffs without them.
He’s simply not the mvp of the league this season.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 08:51:35 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

The Celtics are likely still a fairly high seeded playoff team without Tatum. The other top 5 candidates teams don’t even make the playoffs without them.
He’s simply not the mvp of the league this season.

Possibly, but I hope we don't have to find out.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't care for any of the awards except for when Marcus got the DPOY which I did like to see.  I think the AllStar game should be put out of it's misery.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 12:07:43 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Watching the Patriots documentary reminds me of the 00/01 Patriots coming out as a team for the Super bowl. At that point, they didn't have any stars, at least on offense. They won the championship as a team and it felt amazing.

Both the national and local media are talking about Tatum and whether he deserves MVP. Do fans on this blog care about this? For me, I just want a championship, and would much prefer if Tatum wins the Finals MVP.

I'm fine if Jokic, Embiid, or SGA win. The Celtics are awesome because they are a very talented team.

Because he's a Celtic, our best player, and we want the Celtics to do well?

It's way behind winning a title, but it's nice for our players to get recognition.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 12:21:45 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Dallas doesn't make the playoffs without Luka, but with him? They're a play-in team with him. It's not like he's going to take them anywhere. As great of a player as he is, his stats are a bit hollow to me.

If I had a vote honestly and not as a fan, it would probably be for Jokic or Freak.