Author Topic: Some interesting Kyrie stats and how to fix this team.....  (Read 3099 times)

Re: Some interesting Kyrie stats and how to fix this team.....
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
It's all to justify Kyries talent and diminish what the young guys have done. Resign Kyrie at all costs because he's the only one that can get us to the chip.

There was no way the NBA was going to let them beat the Cavs and Bron. They missed a lot of shots but it would've been something else. Keep in mind Kyrie wasn't on the bench cheering them on.

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Kyrie is a diva, there is no doubt about that, but I don't blame Kyrie for this season's underachievement.  Last game (Bulls) he was +4 with no other player being positive.  Horford was good but no one else was.  I don't know what the problem is but it is overly simplistic to blame Kyrie.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 04:38:50 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Handing out assists and being a part of a ball movement offense is different.

A team that uses ball movement shares in all the assists too. Just because Kyrie gets 10 assists doesn't mean he is instigating proper ball movement to find the open and best opportunity.

Exactly.  Ball movement keeps everyone involved and it's also a motivator for defense.

Thank You and Thank You. Both points exactly correct.

The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 05:53:55 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

A team that uses ball movement shares in all the assists too. Just because Kyrie gets 10 assists doesn't mean he is instigating proper ball movement to find the open and best opportunity.

Exactly.  Ball movement keeps everyone involved and it's also a motivator for defense.

There is a thread for Kyrie hate. No need to disperse it even further with subjective and repeated takes.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

There is a thread for Kyrie hate. No need to disperse it even further with subjective and repeated takes.
Falling on deaf ears in 3...2...1
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Ball movement is one thing, but it’s the lack of player movement that is the problem, whether Kyrie is on the court or not. All of the ball movement just leads to outside shots. Other than Kyrie, no one really attacks the paint. And I think the reason Kyrie doesn’t get to the line enough is because he can manipulate his body movement so much that he can avoid contact.

Personally, I think it’s time to move Hayward and Brown back into the starting lineup. Hayward is an elite passer/creator for his position and will help take some of the burden off Kyrie. And if Hayward is playing a point forward role, it would also allow Kyrie to be more of a scorer. I would also like to see Tatum move more without the ball and also post up. Too many times, Tatum is standing beyond the arc, and the ball stops because he wants to isolate his man, which defeats the purpose of the ball movement.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Ball movement is one thing, but it’s the lack of player movement that is the problem, whether Kyrie is on the court or not. All of the ball movement just leads to outside shots. Other than Kyrie, no one really attacks the paint. And I think the reason Kyrie doesn’t get to the line enough is because he can manipulate his body movement so much that he can avoid contact.

Personally, I think it’s time to move Hayward and Brown back into the starting lineup. Hayward is an elite passer/creator for his position and will help take some of the burden off Kyrie. And if Hayward is playing a point forward role, it would also allow Kyrie to be more of a scorer. I would also like to see Tatum move more without the ball and also post up. Too many times, Tatum is standing beyond the arc, and the ball stops because he wants to isolate his man, which defeats the purpose of the ball movement.

I agree, ball movement and player movement.

Brad needs to hold every player accountable, including Kyrie, when they don't hustle back on defense, or disrupt the offensive flow. 

Kyrie of course should be able to free lance when things get stuck, but really should be in the last 5-6 seconds of the shot clock.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 11:20:56 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO having Brown and Tatum in the lineup at the same time is questionable, unless you're asking them to be the main scorers on the team. Both are reluctant passers and lack IQ at this point in their careers. Both are below average passers.

Putting Hayward on the floor with Kyrie and Horford gives Kyrie two players that he has confidence in. To me, it provides him with the security blanket he needs. I love Marcus Smart, but he's coming back to earth. I would like to see Smart as the point guard in the second unit.

When Baynes comes back I'd like to see him pairing with Horford more often reducing the minutes of Morris.

Stevens needs to shorten the lineup and play the guys that play smart, ball movement basketball. If we see that Kyrie can't play with others, share in the ball movement, and provide chemistry, besides being the main scorer... then he isn't the guy we need. 

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
How about instead of trying to figure out ways of getting rid of Kyrie, we think of who should be replaced to fit with Kyrie. I don't think there is any question that Kyrie is the best player on the Celtics since KG, and before that Bird. You simply don't get rid of players that talented. Instead, you build around them.