Author Topic: Hello From Ireland  (Read 15940 times)

Re: Hello From Ireland
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 02:34:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Welcome mate, hope you like it here! Glad to always have more Irish people around here. My dads family are from Cork & Tipperary, and my girlfriends dad was born and raised in Charleville, so I’m pretty surrounded by Irish culture as far as Australians go.

Hopefully you can give me a few pointers about hurling. Love the highlights, but not sure I quite get it yet...

Tipp is Kilkenny's other big rival! Certainly I'd be more than happy to talk about hurling with you. There is nothing going on at the moment (January is pretty much a dead month GAA wise anyway though there should have been some games this year because of a reconstructed calendar but they're off because of covid) but when it's back on I'll let you know and help you with finding links to watch it on etc. In my opinion, someone who likes basketball should be predisposed to enjoying hurling and vice versa as they're very much end-to-end matches and the fact teams can come back (and quite quickly) from improbable scorelines is common to both. We often say in hurling, "a ten point lead is nothing" (because of the fact it can be erased in a few minutes).
That’s great, hopefully I can join in on some banter when I understand it ;)

I definitely feel that. Our indigenous sport in Australia (Aussie Rules Football) seems to have a few parallels in that way. Hurling and AFL both seem fast-paced, similar in levels of contact, and bloody fun. Maybe I can swap some aussie rules knowledge for some hurling knowledge, as long as you barrack for Collingwood ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 09:20:48 AM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
They're only selling a 40% stake out of the ~66% they have with a buyback option - it's basically equity financing when you consider that they'll continue to manage the club after the sale as a condition for selling the stake.

And yeah Chinese owned businesses have become very pragmatic in the past decade, I think they're looking to hold on to Inter while finding ways to minimise the losses incurred from Covid. Also agree that clubs who're spending big in the transfer market right now will regret it down the road - I think the transfer market will be depressed in the coming few years.

To be honest, the way the club is doing transfer business at the moment is something that sits ok with me. Obviously like any fan I would want them to be spending and improving but the reality is nobody knows what is around the corner. Despite illusions to the contrary, I think Milan's financial situation is very brittle and I think Juventus could have problems because their need to overhaul their squad has presented itself at precisely the same time as Covid.

Welcome mate, hope you like it here! Glad to always have more Irish people around here. My dads family are from Cork & Tipperary, and my girlfriends dad was born and raised in Charleville, so I’m pretty surrounded by Irish culture as far as Australians go.

Hopefully you can give me a few pointers about hurling. Love the highlights, but not sure I quite get it yet...

Tipp is Kilkenny's other big rival! Certainly I'd be more than happy to talk about hurling with you. There is nothing going on at the moment (January is pretty much a dead month GAA wise anyway though there should have been some games this year because of a reconstructed calendar but they're off because of covid) but when it's back on I'll let you know and help you with finding links to watch it on etc. In my opinion, someone who likes basketball should be predisposed to enjoying hurling and vice versa as they're very much end-to-end matches and the fact teams can come back (and quite quickly) from improbable scorelines is common to both. We often say in hurling, "a ten point lead is nothing" (because of the fact it can be erased in a few minutes).
That’s great, hopefully I can join in on some banter when I understand it ;)

I definitely feel that. Our indigenous sport in Australia (Aussie Rules Football) seems to have a few parallels in that way. Hurling and AFL both seem fast-paced, similar in levels of contact, and bloody fun. Maybe I can swap some aussie rules knowledge for some hurling knowledge, as long as you barrack for Collingwood ;D

Sad to say that Aussie Rules doesn't do anything for me. Gaelic football leaves me cold too. That said, I follow the NRL very closely (Brisbane is my NRL team although very much a passing interest rather than intense supporting, for fanaticism in league for me its St. Helens).

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 09:57:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
They're only selling a 40% stake out of the ~66% they have with a buyback option - it's basically equity financing when you consider that they'll continue to manage the club after the sale as a condition for selling the stake.

And yeah Chinese owned businesses have become very pragmatic in the past decade, I think they're looking to hold on to Inter while finding ways to minimise the losses incurred from Covid. Also agree that clubs who're spending big in the transfer market right now will regret it down the road - I think the transfer market will be depressed in the coming few years.

To be honest, the way the club is doing transfer business at the moment is something that sits ok with me. Obviously like any fan I would want them to be spending and improving but the reality is nobody knows what is around the corner. Despite illusions to the contrary, I think Milan's financial situation is very brittle and I think Juventus could have problems because their need to overhaul their squad has presented itself at precisely the same time as Covid.
Yeah conservative spending is the way to go now. Juventus already have massive problems regarding their wage bill iirc, I think the amount of money they have tied up in CR7 and some of their free agent signings like Ramsey is mind-boggling.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
To be fair title winning teams win even when their performances are ropey - you guys seem to be doing that enough to be in the mix. And yeah I think Lukaku is the guy who'll power you through, he's just such a good striker who got woefully misused at United after Jose left.

I'm from Hong Kong btw :)

Hopefully. Though of course as always with Inter there's something going on to distract from the progress. Apparently Suning are in real trouble and looking to sell.

Welcome to the Celtic diaspora from another member of the Celt diaspora  ;D

Happy to see the handful of international posters grow. Should make for more interesting conversations during "international hours" :)

Kernow! Kernewek is very similar to Cymraeg (and Brezhoneg)!

This is where I break the disguise and say I'm actually not Cornish stock but rather Welsh & Scottish (not raised in either country though)... but Kernewek seemed more subtle/easier for people to read  ;D
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
To be fair title winning teams win even when their performances are ropey - you guys seem to be doing that enough to be in the mix. And yeah I think Lukaku is the guy who'll power you through, he's just such a good striker who got woefully misused at United after Jose left.

I'm from Hong Kong btw :)

Hopefully. Though of course as always with Inter there's something going on to distract from the progress. Apparently Suning are in real trouble and looking to sell.

Welcome to the Celtic diaspora from another member of the Celt diaspora  ;D

Happy to see the handful of international posters grow. Should make for more interesting conversations during "international hours" :)

Kernow! Kernewek is very similar to Cymraeg (and Brezhoneg)!

This is where I break the disguise and say I'm actually not Cornish stock but rather Welsh & Scottish (not raised in either country though)... but Kernewek seemed more subtle/easier for people to read  ;D

Haha the mispronounciations I've heard over the years when wearing something with the word Cymru (Wales) on it!

Incidentally, dolphins eat, sleep, sh!t and sh@g whilst not worrying about anything else... they're by far the more intelligent animal!  ;D