Author Topic: some team asked Kevin Knox if he has a child and...just dumb  (Read 2564 times)

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23853782/nba-draft-prospect-kevin-knox-pressed-team-child-have

I know in recent years companies like google have changed the nature of job interviews, adding odd psychology stuff and subverting norms in various ways...

but is the draft combine where teams interview players really a job interview?  Isn't it more of a showcase where teams can respectfully question attendees, as opposed to aggressively interviewing them as if they are in a team's office applying for a job to just that one team?

Knox said no I don't have a child and the team says: "we have reason to believe you do".  Knox asks for child's name and the team backs off. 

What kind of asinine bull crap arrogant vomit is that from whatever team did it...??

Re: some team asked Kevin Knox if he has a child and...just dumb
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think it’s absolutely the equivalent of a job interview.

These top picks aren’t cheap contracts anymore, guys are getting $5-8M to start their careers!

I don’t have any real issue with them throwing curves at them to see how they would react to whacky questions from reporters or maybe even heckling from fans.

They are investing a lot of money in these kids, often their talent is comparable but mentality and personality may sway who they pick.

Sometimes teams seem to straddle the line of PC, but it’s their prerogative. If a player was so offended by a question a team that drafted him asked, hold out until traded.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23853782/nba-draft-prospect-kevin-knox-pressed-team-child-have

I know in recent years companies like google have changed the nature of job interviews, adding odd psychology stuff and subverting norms in various ways...

but is the draft combine where teams interview players really a job interview?  Isn't it more of a showcase where teams can respectfully question attendees, as opposed to aggressively interviewing them as if they are in a team's office applying for a job to just that one team?

Knox said no I don't have a child and the team says: "we have reason to believe you do".  Knox asks for child's name and the team backs off. 

What kind of asinine bull crap arrogant vomit is that from whatever team did it...??

Sorry, but if you're going to pay someone that kind of cash, you should ask them whatever you want.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:41:26 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It's true.  Players aren't cheap.  And owners are filthy rich.  I guess it's just me.  Yuck...

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
How dare a team have small talk with a player. Small talk is racist

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WTH is this question relevant?

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:21:23 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Trying to trick a young black male into disclosing he has a secret child is certainly closer to the racism side of the spectrum than the small talk side.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Is it legal to ask prospective employees this question? A few years ago a VP at my company shut down conversation that even hinted that a prospective manager might be a single mother because he said we weren't allowed to ask that question (or similar questions). He said we shouldn't even talk about it casually (which is how it was being talked about).

The reason it even came up was because one person wondered how committed to the job she might be, moving her family etc. I can see why it might not be appropriate, but also see how it could be relevant.

BTW she got the job.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Trying to trick a young black male into disclosing he has a secret child is certainly closer to the racism side of the spectrum than the small talk side.

Because he is black? If that's the reason, then any interaction you have with him is closer to the racism side of the spectrum because he's always black.

Otherwise isn't it kind of racist to assume the topic of discussion is racist? Like it's a black thing?

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Is it legal to ask prospective employees this question? A few years ago a VP at my company shut down conversation that even hinted that a prospective manager might be a single mother because he said we weren't allowed to ask that question (or similar questions). He said we shouldn't even talk about it casually (which is how it was being talked about).

The reason it even came up was because one person wondered how committed to the job she might be, moving her family etc. I can see why it might not be appropriate, but also see how it could be relevant.

BTW she got the job.
Yeah, these types of questions are illegal in a job interview.  You can’t even ask if a person is married. 

I can only speculate that predraft interviews don’t have to follow the same rules.  And you can certainly understand why personal questions would matter with regard to selecting someone for your organization.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 10:40:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

BTW she got the job.
nba players aren’t employees, they’re contractors

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

BTW she got the job.

I thought contractors couldn't collectively bargain, which nba players do.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 10:54:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

BTW she got the job.

I thought contractors couldn't collectively bargain, which nba players do.

Wrong, they are employees. They are not independent contractors. If they were independent contractors they would not have Union and they definitely would not be subject to the kind of controls the owners have over them.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

BTW she got the job.
Yeah, these types of questions are illegal in a job interview.  You can’t even ask if a person is married. 

I can only speculate that predraft interviews don’t have to follow the same rules.  And you can certainly understand why personal questions would matter with regard to selecting someone for your organization.

I'm far from one of the legal minds here, but I don't believe it's actually illegal to ask those questions, it's just illegal to discriminate based on the answers to those questions, so most companies have a policy forbidding to ask anyone those questions in a job interview.  But we're not talking about some low level office worker here, we're talking about players teams are contemplating investing millions of dollars in.

Personally, I think these type of questions can be useful for such huge investments.  Could possibly help to judge things like character, composer, confidence, etc.

Tell a player you have proof that they just failed a drug test, have a baby, cheated on a test, didn't go to class, took money from boosters, said something racist/homophobic, sexually/physically assaulted someone, etc.  How do they react?  Do they confess it's a possibility, do they outright deny it in a calm manner, do they become combative, do they deny it but their body language says they're lying?

If I was looking to invest millions of dollars in a college age kid, where the better he becomes, the more his life will be under a microscope, I'd definitely be asking some unusual questions trying to figure out the person beyond the basketball skills.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:52:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Uh, what
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)