Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 82993 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Heh... are there people upset with this? 

He's 32 and he's a season removed from averaging 18 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2 assists as the 2nd best player on 50 win playoff team.

I actually can't remember ever seeing a situation like David Lee's this year.  He's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player on the Warriors and yet they stuck him on the bench, because the team was rolling and chemistry was off-the-charts.   Lee isn't a good defender and he sacrificed a lot this season for the greater good... but he can clearly still play basketball.  At least Iggy got an opportunity to show his skillset in the FInals... Lee unfortunately had to remain on the bench.  Guy is a heck of a sport to let that happen.  Good for Golden State for finding him a new home instead of letting him rot on their bench.  He's a talented guy.  We should be happy to have him (if the intention is to make the playoffs).

He's possibly the best player on the Celtics right now.  Like Wallace, he's an expiring contract.   There was literally no reason to NOT do this trade.   It's a total no-brainer.   It'll be interesting to see if Ainge addresses the PF jam this summer of if he just did this trade, because he'd be stupid not to.

Exactly, TP

« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm happy with the trade after thinking about it.  DA is just trying to improve the talent level on the roster for this season to attract bigger names.  Plus we got rid of Gerald Wallace. 

« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

At the detriment of what?

- Giving younger players the opportunity to develop
- Leaving open the possibility of getting a decent draft pick
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He's 32 and he's a season removed from averaging 18 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2 assists as the 2nd best player on a playoff team.

I actually can't remember ever seeing a situation like David Lee's this year.  He's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player on the Warriors and yet they stuck him on the bench, because the team was rolling and chemistry was off-the-charts.   Lee isn't a good defender and he sacrificed a lot this season for the greater good... but he can clearly still play basketball.   He's possibly the best player on the Celtics right now.  Like Wallace, he's an expiring contract.   There was literally no reason to NOT do this trade.   It's a total no-brainer.   It'll be interesting to see if Ainge addresses the PF jam this summer of if he just did this trade, because he'd be stupid not to.
Wow when I saw that you had posted that he might be the best player on the C's in a previous post I thought you were being sarcastic.

David Lee from 2 years ago would certainly be the best player on the C's. However, I'm not sure he still has it like he did during the 2013 season.

Last year the Warriors were more than 10 points worse per 100 possessions when Lee was on the court, but the year before they were over 10 points better per 100 when he was on the court.

If he is healthy this is a steal, if he isn't than he's a free agent at the end of the year. Not much downside.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Wouldn't be surprised if Ainge just swapped one expiring contract for a larger one with the thought that maybe Lee can earn a starting spot, put up nice numbers, and convince a playoff team desperate for productive big men to trade for him mid-season.

This. Lots of this.

« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

He's 32 and he's a season removed from averaging 18 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2 assists as the 2nd best player on a playoff team.

I actually can't remember ever seeing a situation like David Lee's this year.  He's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player on the Warriors and yet they stuck him on the bench, because the team was rolling and chemistry was off-the-charts.   Lee isn't a good defender and he sacrificed a lot this season for the greater good... but he can clearly still play basketball.   He's possibly the best player on the Celtics right now.  Like Wallace, he's an expiring contract.   There was literally no reason to NOT do this trade.   It's a total no-brainer.   It'll be interesting to see if Ainge addresses the PF jam this summer of if he just did this trade, because he'd be stupid not to.

Mainly I'm just bitter that the team is full steam ahead on maintaining in the middle of the pack, and Ainge really seems to be placing all his cards on "Wait for a blockbuster trade opportunity" to the detriment of all other options.

Generally one hopes that as a rebuild advances the roster will become less cluttered with veterans and that a clearer picture will begin to take shape with respect to the pieces that will form the future core of the roster.

That's not happening here, at all.  Danny ain't about that life.

What are the other options, though? Detonate the roster by shipping out all youth for a full reset on the rebuild clock, and suck for 4-5 years waiting for a lottery pick to pan out? I don't think that's really possible at this point.

Ainge has a plan: keep the powder dry for as long as possible. Obviously, that plan doesn't appeal to everyone on this forum. But it is a plan, and by all observations, he's committed to it.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes!

A player who's consistent and a scoring threat. Awesome sauce! Love to have David Lee. I understand we still have a log jam of PF's, but it doesn't hurt adding a very talented player to the squad.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I absolutely  >:( HATE  >:( this move unless we bump the Nets out of the playoffs.  Then I'm okay with it.  Also I like that he's an expiring and Amir's contract is just a $12 million trade piece that can be immediately waived next year, which is perfect for trades.  But man I was kind of hoping we'd just get the 8th or 9th worst record.

So you'd rather be losers than winners

Pretty sad.

Why not just enjoy the trade and appreciate that we got a good player?

And why is everyone so concerned with Brooklyn?

Getting a little nervous they might not be as bad as you all thought?

Chill and enjoy this move. David Lee makes us much better.

« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm with D.o.s. on this one -- if you think David Lee is suddenly the best player on the Celtics, I'm not sure how great a handle you have on how NBA basketball works.

I don't think David Lee is a terrible basketball player -- D.o.s. and I diverge on that one -- but I think his value is situational and limited (see: the Finals).

That said, like Kris Humphries before him he'll earn major minutes because that's where this roster is at right now.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
At least ......the fan get some action of value out of Lee ......he will see the court .......far more than Wallace ..........

Watching aging Lee is better than watching Wallace sit on the bench ......the money is useful .....not being paid for Nothing in return ( Wallace)

I always liked Lees game and hard working , no non sense attitude. He ll provide some vet leadership.

I think Lee and Amir will replace the professional act Bass brought to the team .....but will help inside more.

Danny obviously is not going to,TANK the season .......unless something  weird.happens .

So ........while it doesn't move the needle much ........

Lee and Amir .....these guys STEADY the needle.   Provide a better chance at a playoff spot.

« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

At the detriment of what?

- Giving younger players the opportunity to develop
- Leaving open the possibility of getting a decent draft pick

Neither are of ANY concern to me.

If there are moves available that make us better, than they should be done. Playing for a draft pick should be the last resort. If everyone wants to see the yutes play for a draft pick, then watch the Sixers. Not meaning to be rude, but I want a winning basketball team, not a losing one.

« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

What are the other options, though?

Commit to the youth movement and don't make moves unless they make sense in the context of improving the team over the next 4-5 years as opposed to the short term.

Don't depend on the stupidity or bad luck of other teams to make acquiring a star player possible.

Look to consolidate assets rather than continuing to proliferate lesser ones.

Hey, that's just my philosophy.  Clearly it's not Danny's.  We'll see how this all works out.  I'm gonna go ahead and doubt / naysay in the meantime.

This off-season so far feels like it's been driven at least in part by a desire to appease fans who got excited by the miracle run to the playoffs and would be crestfallen if the team fell back into the lottery pack.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
brb finding a golden gate bridge to jump off of.

So in other words, no one wants to see the team acquire good talent?

Is that what I am understanding?

Is the Sixers syndrome spreading to Boston?

« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

If there are moves available that make us better, than they should be done. Playing for a draft pick should be the last resort. If everyone wants to see the yutes play for a draft pick, then watch the Sixers. Not meaning to be rude, but I want a winning basketball team, not a losing one.

We've just got a good 'ol fashion difference in basic philosophy here.  Nothing to do but agree to disagree.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yes!

A player who's consistent and a scoring threat. Awesome sauce! Love to have David Lee. I understand we still have a log jam of PF's, but it doesn't hurt adding a very talented player to the squad.

So much better for the fan s , than paying all that money to Wallace to watch from the bench ......at least Lee should see the court ... Woo hoo !