Author Topic: Brad can get back to coaching  (Read 1568 times)

Brad can get back to coaching
« on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
This year will have a myriad of lineups  depending on the opponents bigs,
If Brad has to make adjustments so do the opponents.
This should be a challenging year in that respect but give him a team of hard workers we have seen what he can do..
Gordon is such a heady player both ends At the end of year I actually was liking all the little things he could do.

I read an article and Kanter actually has quick feet within a box .I watched his offensive moves a wondered why he could move like that with his pivots and this article explained it. The box had a name

Its like Brad is back in college with this group of players all excited and eager for the year ahead.
The two all stars are grounded team players. The two Jays got a taste of POP and playing for team.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:44:56 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Brad can get back to coaching
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Brad needs to improve as a coach....

Fixed it for you.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like Brad, but managing egos is part of NBA coaching.  He failed to get maximum buy-in from the team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 05:53:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's gotta be better than he was last season.

People caught the brunt of the criticism but Brad also underachieved.  He's gotta be better than a "college coach" at this point. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
waiting on people to name champions without guys with prickly personalities... CBS needs to do better. Many a champion are worse than Kyrie as a person and many who were over the top ****s! Sport is not often a rainbows and butterflies thing!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 12:40:33 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
On one hand, a coach has to be himself. No one is successful at anything trying to be someone other than their genuine nature. However, it doesn't mean Brad can't be more demanding regarding players follow directions, like, quit shooting bad one-on-one 3's and move the ball or get back and work on defense. If not, he's gotta jerk the player and remind him what is the right way and what is the wrong way. Doesn't mean he has to turn into Hubie Brown to do it.

Personally, I don't think anyone could have gotten last year's group to buy in together - too many conflicting personalities with a situation set up for difficulty with the success of the young guys the previous season and then adding in the two alpha veterans and asking the young guys to go backwards with their role mentality. Add in one of the biggest head cases in the league (Irving) shooting his mouth off and publicly backing away from his commitment to the organization - bad recipe.

So, how about naming some player/coach combos of both types, tough/demanding/no nonsense dealing with players & the players coach who runs a more relaxed team atmosphere and then combine with players of both types, team guys vs talented head cases.

KC Jones had a laid back persona, though I think the players knew that there was an inner toughness there that they respected, plus he had a bunch of team-oriented superstars. Then think of PJ Carlesimo, who was demanding and vocal about it and his wack-job guard, Latrell Sprewell. Not a good combination, though nowhere near title contention. Other examples where a combo worked and where it clashed .............??
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 04:32:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
On one hand, a coach has to be himself. No one is successful at anything trying to be someone other than their genuine nature. However, it doesn't mean Brad can't be more demanding regarding players follow directions, like, quit shooting bad one-on-one 3's and move the ball or get back and work on defense. If not, he's gotta jerk the player and remind him what is the right way and what is the wrong way. Doesn't mean he has to turn into Hubie Brown to do it.

Personally, I don't think anyone could have gotten last year's group to buy in together - too many conflicting personalities with a situation set up for difficulty with the success of the young guys the previous season and then adding in the two alpha veterans and asking the young guys to go backwards with their role mentality. Add in one of the biggest head cases in the league (Irving) shooting his mouth off and publicly backing away from his commitment to the organization - bad recipe.

So, how about naming some player/coach combos of both types, tough/demanding/no nonsense dealing with players & the players coach who runs a more relaxed team atmosphere and then combine with players of both types, team guys vs talented head cases.

KC Jones had a laid back persona, though I think the players knew that there was an inner toughness there that they respected, plus he had a bunch of team-oriented superstars. Then think of PJ Carlesimo, who was demanding and vocal about it and his wack-job guard, Latrell Sprewell. Not a good combination, though nowhere near title contention. Other examples where a combo worked and where it clashed .............??
I disagree with the bolded. You can reel those personalities in line by not forcing one veteran who clearly wasn't ready into the rotation in favour of youngsters who actually performed and not bending over to another who was unstable all season in terms of being a teammate. At worst you tick those two off and you're left with a team that reached the ECF last year with young talent that can improve, that's far better than the mess we were in this season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA