Author Topic: Wolves extend offer to Gomes, others  (Read 3266 times)

Wolves extend offer to Gomes, others
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Well, a lot of people seemed to think they might be letting Gomes go, but the Wolves just extended offers to him, as well as Chris Richard and Craig Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468305

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Wolves extend offer to Gomes, others
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
But no Bassy (as had been previously reported) or Snyder (the guy they traded Gerald Green for  :P).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
How many power forwards does Minnesota need?? Seams like they should only keep 1 of those 3 players.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
How many power forwards does Minnesota need?? Seams like they should only keep 1 of those 3 players.

I was hoping we'd get Richard in the Garnett trade. Not that we need a pf, but they had like 17 players on their roster at the rime and we had like 8 or so.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Surprised that Telfair didn't get an extending offer. He'll be a solid backup point and a decent temporary starter until then.

Snyder didn't deserve the pay. Craig Smith didn't deserve the offer, especially with Love now around. Do you really need another offensive only undersized big man?

Talking about offense only big men ... don't pay Ryan Gomes. Don't make this mistake. He doesn't function well enough on the perimeter and he isn't good enough in the paint to survive without a Dwight Howard like figure at center. I am simply amazed at how badly he feeds Big Al in the post, he's only played with him his entire professional career, the guy isn't going to get it out there. He doesn't have enough perimeter skills.

Richards is a fine 3rd center (be it undersized) or 5th big in the rotation. Good call keeping him around.

2 out 5 for McHale.

Unfortunately they were also the two most irrelevant decisions of the five but I digress.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Be careful not to miss the point.  McHale wants them all back except maybe not Snyder) but the required qualifying offers for Gomes, Smith and Richard were very small numbers I suspect.  The numbers for Telfair and Snyder were around $3.5 each because they were very high draft picks (both lottery I think).  It was easy to qualify the first 3 but too rich to qualify the last 2.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »

Offline tallpaul

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Be careful not to miss the point.  McHale wants them all back except maybe not Snyder) but the required qualifying offers for Gomes, Smith and Richard were very small numbers I suspect.  The numbers for Telfair and Snyder were around $3.5 each because they were very high draft picks (both lottery I think).  It was easy to qualify the first 3 but too rich to qualify the last 2.

Excellent point - and pretty basic analysis. Amazing how all the NBA-savvy geniuses on these boards just miss the boat (once again). As if not making (or making) a qualifying offer is the end of the story.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'm intrigued by Kirk Snyder. He seems like a player who can really hustle on the court. I wouldn't mind him workin out with the Celtics.  :)

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:05 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

Excellent point - and pretty basic analysis. Amazing how all the NBA-savvy geniuses on these boards just miss the boat (once again). As if not making (or making) a qualifying offer is the end of the story.

Easy, buddy... no need to get hostile.  In the least it shows that they are interested in keeping them around, enough so that they'll pay them if nobody else makes big offers and retain the right to pay them more if another team does make an offer. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Lighten up Francis.