Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 81656 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2019, 11:48:05 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I'm willing to see this team return to Fenway, play at home more and make a judgement then. I'm a little worried but not officially panicking. We're still within 5 games of the division and a handful of teams (including us) are basically within 3 games of the 2nd place team. Still way too early in the season.

I'll admit, I thought we would go either 5-6 or 6-5 on this trip, but it's clearly been a disaster. Was never going to be easy starting on an 11-game West Coast trip.

To me though, what bugs me is not just the fact that we start out west, but the fact that we've gotten ZERO DAYS OFF to this point. Literally every other team in the league has had at least one (or two) days off except the Sox who happen to start on the opposite coast.  ::)

Yankees meanwhile start 9 games against DET & BAL (two of the easiest teams in the MLB) and have 2 day offs mixed in.  ::)

I agree on the schedule. The only thing about the West Coast trip is at least they get it out of the way, didn't have to play in the cold New England weather, and don't have another one 'til the end of August. But I must admit, I've never heard of an 11 game road trip before. The most has always been 10.

Yep. Good win today and so far the bullpen has been phenomenal honestly.

Now lets go home and feast on all the divisional opponents we face the next few weeks  ;D

Yep our bullpen has been solid, after everyone thought it would be our weak spot.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2019, 12:17:03 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm willing to see this team return to Fenway, play at home more and make a judgement then. I'm a little worried but not officially panicking. We're still within 5 games of the division and a handful of teams (including us) are basically within 3 games of the 2nd place team. Still way too early in the season.

I'll admit, I thought we would go either 5-6 or 6-5 on this trip, but it's clearly been a disaster. Was never going to be easy starting on an 11-game West Coast trip.

To me though, what bugs me is not just the fact that we start out west, but the fact that we've gotten ZERO DAYS OFF to this point. Literally every other team in the league has had at least one (or two) days off except the Sox who happen to start on the opposite coast.  ::)

Yankees meanwhile start 9 games against DET & BAL (two of the easiest teams in the MLB) and have 2 day offs mixed in.  ::)

I agree on the schedule. The only thing about the West Coast trip is at least they get it out of the way, didn't have to play in the cold New England weather, and don't have another one 'til the end of August. But I must admit, I've never heard of an 11 game road trip before. The most has always been 10.

Yep. Good win today and so far the bullpen has been phenomenal honestly.

Now lets go home and feast on all the divisional opponents we face the next few weeks  ;D

Yep our bullpen has been solid, after everyone thought it would be our weak spot.

So far Barnes and Braiser have been very solid (knock on wood.) Even Brewer wasn't bad last night. If anything, the ball getting past Vasquez was a bigger detriment. Glad they're coming back home to get their rings. April is always a fun sports month with the NBA playoffs, NFL draft and MLB starting a new season.

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2019, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hate to say it, but whoever decided in the MLB scheduling office to give the World Champs a schedule starting 11 games in 11 days on the West Coast, when they have spent their entire spring training on the East Coast is an embicile.

You don't schedule the reigning champ like that, regardless of the sport. You give the champ a title raising opening day at home. A celebration of the earlier year and the ability to put it past you and start the new season.

Instead, Boston will be raising the flag on last year's title after nearly 7% of the season being over. That's equal to the SB champ starting the season on the road or the NBA and Stanley Cup champs starting the season on a six games in nine days road trip. That's unheard of.

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I hate to say it, but whoever decided in the MLB scheduling office to give the World Champs a schedule starting 11 games in 11 days on the West Coast, when they have spent their entire spring training on the East Coast is an embicile.

You don't schedule the reigning champ like that, regardless of the sport. You give the champ a title raising opening day at home. A celebration of the earlier year and the ability to put it past you and start the new season.

Instead, Boston will be raising the flag on last year's title after nearly 7% of the season being over. That's equal to the SB champ starting the season on the road or the NBA and Stanley Cup champs starting the season on a six games in nine days road trip. That's unheard of.

I remember the Patriots didn't even have a home opener until Week 3 against the Raiders in 2014. We had to watch them lose in the house of horrors in Miami and then win with a strong ST game against the Vikings in Minnesota. And then after that Raiders game, they got massacred by the Chiefs in Arrowhead, dubbed as the worst loss ever in the Brady/Belichick era. That was blasphemy.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
You mean imbecile?  ;)

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

The thing is, I think the MLB schedules for the next season are already made by the end of the summer. Like, the 2019 schedule was created and released around August 2018.  So this was well before the Red Sox won the World Series. But yeah, it's still really stupid either way. Meanwhile, NYY gets to start with 9 games against two of the easiest teams in the league (DET, BAL) and 2 days off mixed in  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 07:14:54 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well, I for one always give our team a pass the year following the Series win which has been 4 times this century so far! 😁 4 more then I ever thought I would see.

West Coast road trip is brutal though and cannot say I enjoyed getting stuck with that to start the season. Never remember that happening to us and we looked hung over the whole trip.

I expect a nice long winning streak to erase this memory come summer. Playing with house money this year...long way to go!

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

The thing is, I think the MLB schedules for the next season are already made by the end of the summer. Like, the 2019 schedule was created and released around August 2018.  So this was well before the Red Sox won the World Series. But yeah, it's still really stupid either way. Meanwhile, NYY gets to start with 9 games against two of the easiest teams in the league (DET, BAL) and 2 days off mixed in  ::)

It's true.  For whatever reason, MLB releases it's schedule for the following season before the current season even ends.
Usually by early September, a rough draft of next season's schedule has been released.

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 07:21:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Getting their rings today! Let's turn the page on this disastrous West Coast trip and pretend it never happened. Season begins today. :laugh:

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Take the defending champion part out of it.  Is it fair for *any* team to have an 11 game opposite coast road trip to begin the season?  I know that long road trips are part of life, but straight out of the gate seems unfair to any team. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Take the defending champion part out of it.  Is it fair for *any* team to have an 11 game opposite coast road trip to begin the season?  I know that long road trips are part of life, but straight out of the gate seems unfair to any team.

That, and also not scheduling any days off in that stretch. Not even one. Ridiculous...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2019, 02:28:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
How about Moreland? Clutch 3 run homer in Seattle, solo dinger in the 9th inning in Arizona and first Fenway homer of the season. We don't get 2 of the 3 wins we have w/o him.

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
anyone just see that straight steal of home?

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Wow Sale getting pounded by the tanking Rays. Anyone miss Sandy's defense behind the plate yet?

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
anyone just see that straight steal of home?

Yeah, pretty embarrassing. Remy and Eck were talking about how poorly Devers played 3rd base. Wasn't even near the bag.