Author Topic: Switch out one player to make the Celtics better  (Read 4843 times)

Switch out one player to make the Celtics better
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:13:58 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So clearly the preseason was ugly.  And I’m sure some will think I’m nuts.  But I don’t think this team is constructed as well as it could be.  So just for discussion, I’m wondering what guy could be switched out to make the team better.

For me it’s brown.  I think this team would be better with a true sniper or even more of a 3 and D guy that plays his role and takes good shots.

As to actual players, I don’t have any in mind.  And to the future, I don’t think we’d be giving away a future star.  Brown not great at anything.  He shows flashes of a whole lot of things but anything consistent.

Re: Switch out one player to make the Celtics better
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No one, especially not Brown, and especially not for the reasons you listed. He is our best perimeter defender. He was 10th place in DPOY last year, which means the rest of the league recognizes how good he is. He is versatile enough to block Durant's jumpshot, steal the ball from Curry, and block Love in the post.

Combine that with Brown's 40% from 3 last year, and he is probably one of the best 3/D players in the league. Who are you gonna replace him with that would be an upgrade to either defense or shooting?

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:23:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think you're off on Brown.

Last year, he was one of the best defenders in the NBA, and shot 39.5% from 3PT.

In terms of who I'd swap out, I'd ideally like to replace one of our bench guards with a guy who is more of a pure scorer. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wouldn't replace any of the rotation players.  I do think it would make sense, as others have suggested, for Hayward to come off the bench.  As he's playing now, he could hurt the chemistry of the starting unit and it might be easier for him to get his groove back playing against other teams' bench players.  He could also add much needed scoring for the second unit.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I don't really have any concerns about the preseason.

Just for fun, though, I'd swap Hayward for Anthony Davis.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

• Paul Silas
I'll swap out Ojeleye for Anthony Davis.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'll swap out Ojeleye for Anthony Davis.
well yeah stuff like that, but I took this to mean swap out a starter for another starter.  So for me I'd swap Tatum for Durant, giving me a starting 5 of Horford, Durant, Hayward, Brown, and Irving (in a vacuum I'd take James over Durant, but I don't want to deal with the James/Irving circus).  I think Tatum is better than Brown, but I don't want Hayward or Tatum playing SG, which is why I went with Tatum instead of Brown. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If we're trying to keep it roughly equal in talent, I'd swap out Morris for Danny Green. He can't create his own shot like at all but the 3 + D and being one of the best transition one-on-one defenders in the league would really help us. Could cripple our offense if we lose a scorer or two, though.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »

• Paul Silas
If we're trying to keep it roughly equal in talent, I'd swap out Morris for Danny Green. He can't create his own shot like at all but the 3 + D and being one of the best transition one-on-one defenders in the league would really help us. Could cripple our offense if we lose a scorer or two, though.

For Brown? There's reason and stats to believe that Brown is better as both a shooter and defender.

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

For Brown? There's reason and stats to believe that Brown is better as both a shooter and defender.

For Morris, like I said. Brown is clearly a better player than Green.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not sure I follow the exact intent.  If it is to swap a Celtics player for another that plays the same position, I don't see much need for that but if we were to swap a starter or rotation player, we would need to swap for more size.  How about some of these (understanding that it would not be a one for one trade):

Brown for Porzingis
Irving for Davis
Tatum for Davis
Brown for Towns
Rozier for Valanciunas
Rozier for Mirotic
Irving for Antetokounmpo
Rozer for Miles Turner
Rozier for Bender
Rozier for Chandler

I think you get the idea.  Not that I expect any of these to happen but those bigs are the type of player that I think the Celtics need to balance their talent between pg/wings and bigs.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:05:18 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
As much as this hurts to think about....   

Gordan for Anthony Davis.....   

Irving
Brown
Tatum
Davis
AL   

Terry
Smart
Morris
Thesis
Baynes

Diggles

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ingles for Morris

Great 3 and D guy who gets under people's skin, is an excellent passer who moves well without the ball and has great shot selection.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We barely saw our whole team this preseason, so I think it is early.

Hayward is the cold, logical and correct answer and I hope that does not happen and we give him more time to come back as he is coming off a bad injury.  I hope this move does not happen, I want to see him add to the Celtic Legacy.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, I meant players of equal value but not necessarily same position.  So no one on this team is going to return Davis or Durant.  But if you want to trade kyrie for a center of equal value, then sure.

The Morris green trade is exactly the kind of thing I’m thinking about, and I think a good idea.

As for brown, he’s just too erratic IMO.  And yes he’s a good defender but we can trade him for another good defender or a sharpshooter.  I think those kind of players would fit the team better and like I said, I have little concern that we’d be trading away a future star.