Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 62737 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2019, 11:40:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder what some here would think if they saw Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell their rookie season. Actually Chamberlain was built more like Tacko , but a little shorter at 7-2.  300 lb. guy. His shooting range was about the same--in the paint. He had that huge reach where he could get easy baskets. Robert Williams is built more like Russell. Both about 6-10 or so, with length and jumping ability. Robert shows passing ability I don't remember Russell having. And Bill was surrounded by much better teams. All these guys have or had great shot blocking ability.

Chamberlain had freakish athleticism for his height. Tacko shows some of that. With Tacko, you want to project the guy's body a couple years from now. He could be very good. He has soft hands and shows some shooting ability in the paint.

Wilt scored about 50 ppg because nobody could defend him near the basket. He never shot beyond 10 ft from the basket.

I haven't seen anybody defend Tacko near the basket, either. He could be a game changer, but I wonder if they are ready for that. It's a different era.
Comparing Tacko Fall to perhaps the most freakish athlete professional sport has ever seen is a bit off in my book
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2019, 11:53:54 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Give him a look. If the C's don't somebody will...

« Reply #197 on: July 15, 2019, 01:32:43 AM »

Offline uconnceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Why won't the Celtics sign him to a two way contract and see what happens in Maine before giving up on 7'6" who showed some promise this past season in college

« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2019, 03:19:14 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I wonder what some here would think if they saw Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell their rookie season. Actually Chamberlain was built more like Tacko , but a little shorter at 7-2.  300 lb. guy. His shooting range was about the same--in the paint. He had that huge reach where he could get easy baskets. Robert Williams is built more like Russell. Both about 6-10 or so, with length and jumping ability. Robert shows passing ability I don't remember Russell having. And Bill was surrounded by much better teams. All these guys have or had great shot blocking ability.

Chamberlain had freakish athleticism for his height. Tacko shows some of that. With Tacko, you want to project the guy's body a couple years from now. He could be very good. He has soft hands and shows some shooting ability in the paint.

Wilt scored about 50 ppg because nobody could defend him near the basket. He never shot beyond 10 ft from the basket.

I haven't seen anybody defend Tacko near the basket, either. He could be a game changer, but I wonder if they are ready for that. It's a different era.
Comparing Tacko Fall to perhaps the most freakish athlete professional sport has ever seen is a bit off in my book

This is really funny. First people said Tacko should "at least" be a Dikembe type. Now people comparing him to Wilt and Russell.

So his floor is a HOF center and his ceiling is one of the sports greatest?

« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

This is really funny. First people said Tacko should "at least" be a Dikembe type. Now people comparing him to Wilt and Russell.

I can see Tacko holding up his little hand made "100" sign.
Yup

« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hey, if all of those folks are right then I'm looking forward to him hopefully becoming one of the greatest Celtics ever.

I just see no way that this is possible!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Give him a look. If the C's don't somebody will...
They are giving him a look. He’s been signed to an exhibit 10 contract which they can convert to a two way if they want. He will go to camp. He’s got a chance.

« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2019, 02:33:55 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Hey, if all of those folks are right then I'm looking forward to him hopefully becoming one of the greatest Celtics ever.

I just see no way that this is possible!

Purely physical comparisons here. No way of knowing the upsides of these guys.

« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
I'm betting another team picks him up and he 'drops' 14 points with 4 blocks against the Celtics. Sire hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I like Tacko definitely think there is a place in the NBA for him.

However he's listed at 23 will be 24 a few months into the season. He's also from an area birth records aren't exactly (what's the word I'm looking for here?)

Even if his age is legit how long before he understands and can be consistent in an NBA game? Can be a team be patient enough to left him learn the league until he's in his late 20s?

What age will a body of that size start breaking down? Will that happen around the time he's capable of being a rotation player?

I think Tacko comes with some extra boxes to check off.

Many good points here above and here is my take.  We haven’t had a two way player that i can remember that has really contributed yet.  Tacko is a legit big man with some potential.  How can you not take a chance on this guy after seeing him disrupt games in the summer league just with his presence alone.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:29:07 PM by Hank Finkel »

« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36

However he's listed at 23 will be 24 a few months into the season. He's also from an area birth records aren't exactly (what's the word I'm looking for here?)

Even if his age is legit how long before he understands and can be consistent in an NBA game? Can be a team be patient enough to left him learn the league until he's in his late 20s?

What age will a body of that size start breaking down? Will that happen around the time he's capable of being a rotation player?

Many good points here above and here is my take.  We haven’t had a two way player that i can remember that has really contributed yet.  Tacko is a legit big man with some potential.  How can you not take a chance on this guy after seeing him disrupt games in the summer league just with his presence alone.   

I totally agree man.

« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I totally agree man.
Age is probably the last thing that concerns me about Tacko.  He does have to learn the game, having only picked up a basketball at age 16.  Still,  he's shown enough that a clever coach could use him right now in a change-of-pace bench lineup that could really confuse the other team.

« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2019, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If Im on the Celtics marketing team

I want Tacko in Celtics Green . 

« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I totally agree man.

What if Zion can't stop eating and becomes 350 pounds.

What if Zion blows out his knee. Will Zion be able to dunk the same?

Nobody is perfect. Take this player with his strengths which are massive, and his weakness.

We are getting the biggest most mobile Giant ever for free. Enjoy the ride.