Author Topic: Raptors (6-9) at Celtics (11-4) 11/26  (Read 35234 times)

Raptors (6-9) at Celtics (11-4) 11/26
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Toronto Raptors (6-9) at Boston Celtics (11-4)
Friday, November 26
7:30 PM ET
Game #16, Home Game #8
TV:   TSN2, CSNNE, NBA-LP 753
Radio:  CJCL,  WEEI
TD Garden  

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG:  Nate Robinson 7.9 PPG,  2.3 APG 0.1 SPG
SG:  Ray Allen  16.7 PPG,  3.1 APG, .449 3P%
SF:   Paul Pierce   19.8 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 2.9 APG
PF:  Kevin Garnett   15.0 PPG,  9.1 RPG, 0.6 BPG
C:   Shaquille O'Neal   11.9 PPG, 6.8 RPG,  0.5 BPG

Boston Bench Mob
Marquis Daniels
Glen Davis
Semih Erden
Luke Harangody
Von Wafer
Avery Bradley  

Injured
Kendrick Perkins (knee) out
Jermaine O'Neal (knee)  out
Delonte West (wrist)  out  
Rajon  Rondo (hamstring) questionable

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG: Jose Calderon  8.4 PPG, 5.4 APG, 1.0 SPG
SG: DeMar DeRozan 12.1 PPG, 1.7 APG, .111 3P%
SF:  Sonny Weems   13.7 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 2.0 APG
PF:  Reggie Evans   3.8 PPG, 12.6 RPG,  0.2 PPG
C:  Andrea Bargnani   21.9 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 0.9 BPG  

Raptors Bench
Solomon Alabi
Joey Dorsey
Amir Johnson
Julian Wright
Leandro Barbosa
Jerryd Bayless
Peja Stojakovic
Linas Kleiza

Injuries
Ed Davis (knee)  out

Key Matchups
 vs  
Shaquille O'Neal vs Andrea Bargnani  

vs  
Kevin Garnett vs Reggie Evans

Bargnani doesn't venture inside very much and is more of a finesse center while Reggie Evans plays inside more and is an excellent rebounder.  I expect KG to cover Bargnani, who is the Raptors' leading scorer and Shaq to cover Evans, who is their leading rebounder.

Honorable Mention
Nate Robinson vs Jose Calderon
Nate has the speed to be able to get past Calderon but Calderon has a height advantage.  In their first meeting, Toronto had a shortage of point guards and this time, it's the Celtics with the shortage.     With Rondo probably out again and Delonte now out, Nate is going to have to step up his game.  Either Quisy or Avery Bradley will also have to step up to help handle the point.  

Keys to the Game
Rebound - The rebounding was even the last time these two teams met.   With their size, the Celtics should never be out-rebounded and so it comes down to effort and desire.  The Celtics have got to crash the boards to prevent the Raptors from getting second chance points. Toronto also ranks first in the NBA averaging 20.2 fastbreak points per game.  Crashing the boards will help to limit those fast break opportunities.   Rebounding takes effort and when they aren't winning the battle of the boards, they aren't putting the effort out in other areas either.  

Focus - The Celtics clearly lacked focus the last time these two teams played.  The Raptors were short handed and the Celtics played down to their level and got burned.  That alone should provide the motivation to come out focused and put in the effort needed to bring out Gino again.  

Defense -  The Celtics must make defense their first priority.  They won the championship with defense and if they win this season, it will be with defense.  They have been playing defense in spurts but they must get back to playing lock down defense from start to finish.  Half way just won't get it done.  

Play 48 Minutes
- The Celtics started out strong in the last game between these two teams but they let up in the second quarter, allowing the Raptors to build a big lead in that quarter.  The Celtics have to come out strong and play until the end.   Playing in spurts and expecting to turn it on at the end will result in more losses than wins.  

Game Notes
The Celtics took the short handed Raptors for granted in their last meeting and they got burned.  The Raptors have won their last 4 games and so it would be very wise of the Celtics not to underestimate this team again.  

The Raptors won the last game on free throws after a couple of controversial calls from the referees.  It was a game they should have easily won. The Celtics  lacked focus and intensity in that game.  They came out strong and led 31-23 after one quarter but gave up 38 points in the second and had to fight an uphill battle through the rest of the game.  That loss should be enough to motivate the Celtics to a big win in this one.

This game features the NBA’s two best active three-point shooters of all time.   Ray Allen and Peja Stojakovic have combined for over 4,000 three-pointers since they entered the league together during the 1996-97 season.Stojakovic needs four more three pointers to tie Dale Ellis’ mark of 1,719 three pointers made, which ranks third all-time in NBA history. Ray Allen ranks second all-time with 2,479 treys, just 81 short of tying Reggie Miller for all time 3 point leader.  

X-Factor
Focus and intensity
If the Celtics come out focused and play with intensity throughout, they will win.   The Raptors have been building confidence and if the Celtics falter they will take advantage of it.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:10:05 AM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Nets (6-9) at Celtics (11-4) 11/26
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:53:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks again FLCF for the thread. nice pennants to start it all off.

tp for you and ..... go celtics!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:36 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
TP for another nice setup FL....the subject should have Raptors at Celtics instead of Nets :)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 01:04:09 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP for another nice setup FL....the subject should have Raptors at Celtics instead of Nets :)

Same, same  ;D

TP once again. Go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 01:48:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Thank you for another great set-up, Fl ... and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:11:52 AM »

Offline KPR_5

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
TP for the nice game thread. The celtics should win this game by 20 or more.

Re: Raptors (6-9) at Celtics (11-4) 11/26
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks for catching that.  I did this last night after cooking for and cleaning up after 29 people for Thanksgiving dinner.  I'm lucky I could even see straight at that point :)

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Personally, I hope KG guards Bargnani and Shaq guards Evans. TP FL
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Payback time! I just hope Rondo sits this one and we win easily instead of dugging ourselves a hole like we did against NJ.

TP FL and go Celtics!

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Personally, I hope KG guards Bargnani and Shaq guards Evans. TP FL
It's the front of the rim that typically guards Evans. I haven't seen so many clunkers since Ben Wallace was younger.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I would like to think the Celtics come out and pancake the Raptors like they did to the Hawks on Monday night. Somehow, they always get a 1st qtr lead but don't hold it because the bench players falter and the other teams get confidence and then we are playing uphill.

In Toronto, we flat out stunk for 28 and a quarter minutes going from a 31-20 advantage with 1:00 minute remaining in the 1st qtr to 81-93 disadvantage with 8:45 remaining in the 4th qtr. The starters and bench players shot 12 for 41 during that hideous stretch of basketball. So that left the Celtics trying to make up a 23 point deficit in less than 20 minutes on the road.

I sure think we will turn this around tonight in just 45 minutes.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Celtics blowout. Avery Bradley Home Debut.

Go Green

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
They just mentioned Rondo looked good coming into the arena and might play tonight.  not sure how I feel about that.  hope he's really feeling well but even if he is, I wouldn't mind him sitting out another game at least just to play safe.

Guess he's starting
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:41:09 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rondo's starting.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'd like to see if we could start to improve our rebounding starting tonight. We're still really struggling in that area..