Author Topic: Euroleague 2016-17  (Read 18480 times)

Re: Euroleague 2016-17
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Imho he is the best 18yo European since Kukoc.

He is one of the best players of the best team in Europe. And he just turned 18. Rubio, Gasols ,Milicic didn't reach that level at 18 and Doncic leads Real Madrid. By it self is amazing. Imagine Fultzeading leading the celtics to the final

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Fener-Olympiacos is the final.

They play in Istanbul, plan A is Fener wins, plan B Olympiacos wins and they all get imprisoned as Gulenist conspirators.

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2017, 04:10:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I ve learned to respect olimpiacos in F4s but fener looked scary. Their defence crushed bones against real and I don't know what olimpiacos a much less offensively gifted team than real can handle this.. I really hope they do though

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Yesterday, euro games were much more enjoying than the NBA one. Great show by to fanatic greek squad, beating a stronger team in CSKA. Spanulis was once more the man in the clutch. And yes surprisingly, Fener was dominating Real from the start. Great game ahead of us on sunday. Looking at the teams yesterday I think that they would all be in the top 20/25 in the NBA. They could beat more teams than just the bottom feeders.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I think fener are the heavy favourites. Deeper roster, home court advantage, Obradovic on the bench..... But olimpiacos has done it defore. The euroleague.tv commentator called the the greatest comeback team. And the have Spanoulis one of the clutchiest players ever. His 3p to take the lead made history...

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2017, 06:35:22 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Happy for Gigi Datome. That is all.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Datome has said he'd cut his man bun if they win the euroleague

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LuQeS81lMA

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2017, 07:40:03 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Obradovic will always be Olympiakos' daddy.

Suck one Spanoulis!

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
This Euroleague ended on a high Serbian note. Head coach Obradović (Euro Pop) and Feners 2 finals top scorers Kalinić and Bogdanović are Serbians. Sac stash Bogdanović will now surely leave for the NBA giving them a nice young core with 5th and 10th pick, Hield, WCS and Skal. Kalinić looks like he could guard NBA players while also having good BBIQ and even some shot at hiting the three, definitely a top 450 player in the world.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:12:36 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Teodosic was also very good on the semi considering he was injured the last month.

But you are right about Obradovic. TBH i don't like him but his resume is impressive! He's been to 16-17 final4 , won 9 of them with 5 different teams and for 3 of those teams was their first euroleague win.
We need a word ro describe him cause "succesfull" is not enough.

I was impressed by Udoh. He did everything. He scored, he rebounded, he passed the ball, he blocked ... he even guarded Spanoulis on the 3p line succesfully. A 6.10 guy!

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2017, 01:13:10 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Teodosic was also very good on the semi considering he was injured the last month.

But you are right about Obradovic. TBH i don't like him but his resume is impressive! He's been to 16-17 final4 , won 9 of them with 5 different teams and for 3 of those teams was their first euroleague win.
We need a word ro describe him cause "succesfull" is not enough.

I was impressed by Udoh. He did everything. He scored, he rebounded, he passed the ball, he blocked ... he even guarded Spanoulis on the 3p line succesfully. A 6.10 guy!

Obradovićs resume is simly stunning. He is like a basketball player whisperer. :)
As for Ekpe, he was nothing short of amazing in the F4. Switching 1/5, hitting short jumpers, diming guys up, protecting the rim and cleaning the glass. It was like he played a mini Bill Russell role. Great option for a team looking for a legit defending small ball 5.

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I'm a bit late for this, but Real Madrid's PG, Sergio Llull was nominated Euroleague's MVP

Here's a clip from the official website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATQZrPkOBo

Llull is 29 yo, he was picked by the Nuggets at #34 in 2009, but his rights were bought off by the Rockets. I could be wrong, but afair he never played in the NBA.

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

Offline HostAndGreetYourRoastBeef

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Any tips for someone wanting to get into Euroleague? Don't know much about it, but looking for a new sport/league to watch, and Euroleague seems like a good one, since it has a decent following, and it actually has a pipeline to American sports (the NBA).

Any big rule differences? How do the styles differ? Also, I dunno how to pick a team to root for...

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Any tips for someone wanting to get into Euroleague? Don't know much about it, but looking for a new sport/league to watch, and Euroleague seems like a good one, since it has a decent following, and it actually has a pipeline to American sports (the NBA).

Any big rule differences? How do the styles differ? Also, I dunno how to pick a team to root for...

Cool, I hope you watch some games and enjoy it.

So, starting from rules, this page has a full breakdown of the differences:

http://www.fiba.com/rule-differences

============================================

Regarding playing styles: this often gives rise to controversy. To my experience, there are both American stereotypes of European bball (soft and slow) as well as European stereotypes of American bball: "they rely on athleticism rather than technique", "they don't play D" (I know, I know, but I've heard this countless times over here about the NBA), "too much iso", "they don't listen to the coach" etc. IMO it's better to ignore all that and just watch and find out for yourself.

Watching some Eurobasket games this September will also give you a good idea, as the playing style is similar and you have many Euroleague stars playing.

========================================

About teams, it's complicated and it might take a while to get to know them.

Turkey has arguably the best teams right now: Fenerbahce won the Euroleague this year and they have lots of ex-NBA players among which Datome. Not a bad team to root for if you like winning. And they have the (by far) most successful coach (Obradovic).

Other strong Turkish teams are Darussafaka (coached by Blatt), Anadolu Efes and others (they have a lot of depth).

In Spain, Real and Madrid has always been strong. saltlover's favourite, Doncic, is playing there.

Barcelona is going through a bit of a crisis, but they should be back to the top soon enough. I personally like their coach (Bartzokas) and a young Greek-Bulgarian forward they have (Vezenkov). Dario can fill you up if you want to know more about the Spanish teams.

CSKA is the perennial champion in Russia and a very strong team. They might have difficulty replacing Teodosic though.

In Greece, you have Olympiakos and Panathinaikos. Panathinaikos has the advantage of having almost the exact same uniform as the Celtics - that's why many of us made naturally the transition from one team to the other.

Israel has traditionally a strong league and good teams, with Maccabi being the strongest, atlhough they are in a decline lately. Then you have Lithuania, France and Germany: teams there don't spend enough money to make it to the top, but are competitive.

PS I forgot mentioning Androslav, he knows a lot more about the Euroleague than I do. He and Dario are the people to ask.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:31:55 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 05:14:38 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Lots of players moving around, I might make a post collecting it all together later on.

A quick note based on a comment by Dario, Phil Pressey might come to Barcelona.

http://www.sportando.com/en/cups/euroleague/241856/barcelona-eyeing-phil-pressey.html

Their coach, Bartzokas, on the other hand, is moving back to Russia, to Khimki. His season in Barcelona might have been the worst in his career so far.

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/7wp8mkdrhemq5e6q/khimki-hires-former-gomelskiy-coach-of-the-year-bartzokas