Author Topic: Gut feeling about Dannys plan  (Read 6471 times)

Re: Gut feeling about Dannys plan
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I wouldn't mind him trading up to grab Jimmer. I think he's going to be a heck of a player in the league. Just because he's white doesn't mean you need to compare him to Dickau. I think his most accurate comp from college is Steph Curry.
scott skiles? just not crazy  :)

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I wouldn't mind him trading up to grab Jimmer. I think he's going to be a heck of a player in the league. Just because he's white doesn't mean you need to compare him to Dickau. I think his most accurate comp from college is Steph Curry.

They're both point guards known for their shooting prowess and range--as well as their severe defensive limitations.  Curry was more of a combo guard who delivered more on defense--about 3X as many steals as either Fredette or Dickau.

I'll stick with the Dickau comparison, which is also close to home for C's fans.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Lackluster draft class this year. I'm not impressed with any of this year's lottery choices. There is a good chance best player in this draft goes later. So I prefer Celtics buying a pick in 20s, rather than trading their youngest asset Avery Bradley.

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
This is no Dickau. He is no JR. Reddick. Way more talented scorer than either of them. He has one of the sickest crossovers and can create his own shot which is unlike a lot of the best shooters out there. If he can just play somewhat average defense he could wind up being the best player in this draft...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VOKSIVcIE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COcL1KaIUA
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:40 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This is no Dickau. He is no JR. Reddick. Way more talented scorer than either of them. He has one of the sickest crossovers and can create his own shot which is unlike a lot of the best shooters out there. If he can just play somewhat average defense he could wind up being the best player in this draft...

Dickau was an All-American with an eFG% of 57% in his last year at Gonzaga, Fredette's this year was 53%.  Dickau had 4.7 assts; Fredette, 4.3.  Dickau shot 47.3% from the 3; Fredette shot 39.6%.

Dickau went #28 in the 2002 draft, a draft in which Stoudemire and Butler went #9 and 10.  Fredette is currently #13 in this year's nba.com consensus draft.

No, Dickau wasn't named the player of the year.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Dickau was an All-American with an eFG% of 57% in his last year at Gonzaga, Fredette's this year was 53%.  Dickau had 4.7 assts; Fredette, 4.3.  Dickau shot 47.3% from the 3; Fredette shot 39.6%.

Dickau went #28 in the 2002 draft, a draft in which Stoudemire and Butler went #9 and 10.  Fredette is currently #13 in this year's nba.com consensus draft.

No, Dickau wasn't named the player of the year.

Jimmer's team also had better results with what you could argue was less talent around him. (Gonzaga had two NBA players this years BYU team only has one). His efg% being lower could be contributed to by the fact that he took more shots because he was more of the focus of his teams offense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Idk about Jimmer. I love him but I just dont know what he will do in the NBA I think he will be a great shooter haven't watched enough of him off the dribble or even handling the ball. If we were to trade avery and this years number 1 for him I don't know if I would have a problem with it. But we would have to maybe trade back into the 1st with another pick to grab a big man unless we plan on keeping BBD. Ugh I hope we kinda get a splash player in this draft like Jimmer or Biambyo. We'll see 3 days away. Hopefully Danny has something up his sleeve.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I find it hilarious how everyone has DA loving Jimmer because the kid is a Mormon from BYU. If he weren't that no one would even mention him being "loved" by DA. The kid is a freak scorer who is likely a little faster version of JJ Redick. Will be a nice bench scorer, but never a star in this league. He just won't get to the rim on NBA level pg's with consistency. He does have range though so will be able to knock down the 3. In a strong draft he is late first early second. In this one he could go 7-10 with his hype. Fun to watch, but not what we need.

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I find it hilarious how everyone has DA loving Jimmer because the kid is a Mormon from BYU. If he weren't that no one would even mention him being "loved" by DA. The kid is a freak scorer who is likely a little faster version of JJ Redick. Will be a nice bench scorer, but never a star in this league. He just won't get to the rim on NBA level pg's with consistency. He does have range though so will be able to knock down the 3. In a strong draft he is late first early second. In this one he could go 7-10 with his hype. Fun to watch, but not what we need.

I have been on the Jimmer bandwagon for awhile now.  I live in Vegas so I got to see Jimmer quite a few times out here. In The Mountain West Tournament against New Mexico it was probably the best performance I have ever seen in person by a player. I have seen a lot of good UNLV games over the last 10 years and 15-20 Celts games when I lived back East when Bird was playing. I cannot think of a better performance.  Here is some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHhdGdUGkTc
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'd love for Danny to trade up for Bismack.  Seems like that kid could fall in this draft because it's hard to sell fans on an offensively inept player, but Bismack has possibly more upside than any other player in the draft, especially on defense.  Right away he could provide an inside defensive / rebounding presence we currently sorely lack.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Does anyone remember Adam Morrison? There were posts a few years ago saying DA really liked him as well....

I would lump the guys like Fredette, Dickau, and Morrison in together, and to a lesser extent Curry. Curry's advantage was that he had more NBA speed. i think Fredette is a quicker than Dickau and Morrison but probably will have to really improve other aspects of his game to stay on the court in the NBA. Reddick has actually done this in orlando by continuing to work and is not an awful defensive player anymore.