Author Topic: Gut feeling about Dannys plan  (Read 6472 times)

Gut feeling about Dannys plan
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Was reading the new info on the draft after a weekend away from the computer. I had this thought about Danny's draft plan. He has stated how week this draft is, how avery would be a top 5, and how if we stay in we have to go big. My gut feeling has to do with the obvious possiblity that this is all propagada.

Would anyone really be that shocked if danny went again all of those statemnts and traded avery and the #25 to move up and draft jimmer fredette. Im not asking if its a good idea or not but rather would it shock you?

maybe Avery +25 to bucks for #10 + #40?

I could see danny doing this with the idea of jimmer being our scorer of the bench spelling ray for long stretches in the middle of games and backing up rondo a few minutes (basicly delotes role) then using 40 and 55 on bigs with the hope one pans out and earns a roster spot
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Gut feeling about Dannys plan
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:03 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Nothing would shock me since this draft is so up in the air.

While I like Avery as a player, I am very open to the idea of trading him.  I think his size pins him as a PG in this league and he is simply blocked from ever getting major minutes there as a celtic, so I think we'll need to trade him if we can ever get a good return.

The one thing I hope Danny does is trade the pick or a player somehow.  I really like how many moves Bill Belichick makes every draft.  It shows how much meticulous thought he puts into every player's value and does his best to squeeze every ounce of value out of the picks he has to work with.  I want Danny to treat these picks as all having value and be sure to get as much value as possible out of them.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
One common thing about Ainge first rounders(not the high schoolers) is that they are projected to be plus defenders. I don't think Jimmer is that. It does seem that people link Danny to BYU players every year, and I'm not sure if we have ever have had a BYU guy on our summer league teams.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, first let me clarify that I don't think Danny ever said they need to go big, he just said that their biggest need is up front...but in the past Danny has been pretty clear that he doesn't like to use the draft to fill holes in the rotation.

But anyways, that wouldn't completely shock me, if Danny really likes Jimmer that much.  I just wouldn't count on it.  

For one thing, I am not sure Bradley gets him up high enough to get Jimmer.  But I also question whether Danny like Jimmer as much as everyone speculates he does.  

Danny loves skilled players, but earlier in the draft, we have seen that he also loves athletes.  If Danny did trade up, I think it would be more likely for a guy like Chris Singleton, or Keneth Faried.  

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't see a huge need to draft Jimmer.  I mean, he's a late lottery pick in a weak draft.  So his upside is what, being the next Delonte West?  And that's best case. 

I'd rather just stick with Delonte. 

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Jimmer is just not going to translate into a good NBA Talent.

Would I be shocked?  Not at all.  Danny just seems to have certain players later in the draft who he really develops a crush on.  If he's developed one on Jimmer then who knows

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It'd be criminal for Danny to move up to the #10--and then take Jimmer. 

Dan Dickau, anyone?

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
 Keneth Faried is exactly what the Cs need.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I wouldn't mind him trading up to grab Jimmer. I think he's going to be a heck of a player in the league. Just because he's white doesn't mean you need to compare him to Dickau. I think his most accurate comp from college is Steph Curry.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
I could see Ainge going for Fredette, if he can.  The appeal of a spot-up shooter in a Rondo-Run offense is pretty strong.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
If I'm Danny, I'd be moving up to take either Bismack Biyombo, one of the Morris twins, or Kenneth Faried. Our weekness is in the interior; draft there first.

If, however, he does have a man-crush on Jimmer, then I wouldn't totally be opposed to it. The guy would be dynamic off of the bench for us. He shoots high 80's in FT%; something Rondo will never be able to do, and could play probably the best 2nd string pg we've had on our team since....well, let's just say it's been awhile since we've had a contributing back up pg.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline Celticai

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I think DA should do whatever he can in order to get a nice, energetic BIG. Unless it's Jeremy Tyler... He was a mess in Israel, so he really scares me.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i read somewhere that Danny was rumored to shop Avery for a higher pick

personally, i want to give the kid another chance...

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 02:04:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I was completely with you... And then you mentioned Jimmer Freddette.... And I was like, uh, what?

I could totally see Danny package Bradley and the number 25 to a team in the lottery... But certainly not for Jimmer.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If we're moving into the lotto for a guard give me Alec Burk.