Author Topic: Workouts  (Read 16142 times)

Re: Workouts
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
"The Boston Celtics announced that they worked out USC's Nikola Vucevic, Louisville's Terrence Jennings, Clemson's Demontez Stitt, Florida's Vernon Macklin, Richmond's Kevin Anderson, and UConn's Charles Okwandu on Monday at the team's practice facility in Waltham. " per espn

this has to make Vucevic and Harper the front runners to be drafted by the Cs at 25

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
We need to have a good draft in addition to any players we may sign, as Wyc said they are willing to spend. I think it's worth it to get higher up in this draft, get a guy like Faried that could join the rotation right off, and Ainge doesn't try to pull a rabbit out of his hat like he did with the Giddens/Walker draft.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We need to have a good draft in addition to any players we may sign, as Wyc said they are willing to spend. I think it's worth it to get higher up in this draft, get a guy like Faried that could join the rotation right off, and Ainge doesn't try to pull a rabbit out of his hat like he did with the Giddens/Walker draft.
after seeing many of the posts about the various possibilities at #25 and the league-wide regard of this draft as not particularly good, I'm wondering if Wyc will toss some $ at another team or 2 to get another mid-to-low 1st rounder or high second rounder so the C's have a chance to bring in a couple of guys that could make the team and help out going forward.  Perhaps increase the odds of getting a couple of the following players: Vucevic, Tyler, Faried,  or another couple of options at C and PF. 

Just a thought.

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
after seeing many of the posts about the various possibilities at #25 and the league-wide regard of this draft as not particularly good, I'm wondering if Wyc will toss some $ at another team or 2 to get another mid-to-low 1st rounder or high second rounder so the C's have a chance to bring in a couple of guys that could make the team and help out going forward.  Perhaps increase the odds of getting a couple of the following players: Vucevic, Tyler, Faried,  or another couple of options at C and PF. 

Just a thought.

It will be interesting to see.  Although I wouldn't count on it.  Where it is a weak draft, there just isn't a ton of value in using valuable roster spots on guys like this.  I think if there is someone they love, then they will do it, but beyond that, I think they will prefer to use those roster spots for veterans.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

If the C's move up in the draft, I sure hope it's not for Faried.  I don't think they go undersized with their first pick for anything.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:55 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm seeing two big guys, at least 6'10", for the C's.  The second one will be a real project, but with all the size and length they could want.  And they could well move up for the first one.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If the C's move up in the draft, I sure hope it's not for Faried.  I don't think they go undersized with their first pick for anything.

I actually think Faried would be a great addition to this team.  I don't think he will be anything more than a roleplayer, but he brings a toughness and nose for the ball that this team was really lacking off the bench(and have been since Powe got hurt).

Chances are they are not finding any major building-blocks late in this draft (or really most any draft), but Faried could really help them.

Of course, I think its moot, since he will likely be gone close to the lottery.

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
People on this board are shying away from 6'8" players because of the experience with BBD. Davis is not only 6'6" he does not have a particularly long reach and he is also vertically challenged in his leaping ability. A number of the "tweener" picks available have huge wing spans and reaches as well as decent leaping ability. Not all 6' 10" players are going to give you what we need in terms of athleticism and rebounding just because the have a couple inches on someone in height. And yes I know Faried may be under 6' 8"; but the point remains.

Where OKC was successful is in pairing Green with another 6' 8-10" player who could run the floor. If we can do that and get a shooter as well we can spread the floor and get speed and quickness behind both KG and PP (and at center).

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
from WEEI's paul Flannery,

"7-foot Brazilian Lucas Nogueira, who is a first round prospect. Other players in the workout included: Demontez Stitt, Kevin Anderson, Joffrey Lauvergne, Brad Wanamaker, Diante Garrett, David Lighty, Delroy James, Chaisson Allen, Cory Joseph and Terrence Jennings.

Stitt, Anderson and Jennings all worked out with the team on Monday, as well. Lighty, a forward from Ohio State and Joseph, a guard from Texas are both predicted to be second round picks."

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

"7-foot Brazilian Lucas Nogueira, who is a first round prospect. Other players in the workout included: Demontez Stitt, Kevin Anderson, Joffrey Lauvergne, Brad Wanamaker, Diante Garrett, David Lighty, Delroy James, Chaisson Allen, Cory Joseph and Terrence Jennings.

Stitt, Anderson and Jennings all worked out with the team on Monday, as well. Lighty, a forward from Ohio State and Joseph, a guard from Texas are both predicted to be second round picks."
I'm happy to see they're taking a look at Delroy James as a possible second rounder.  I tossed his name out there a while ago as a possible 2nd rounder that could be a nice SF off the bench with a little development.  I heard he's done well in Portsmouth and other workouts.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 11:08:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
 Lucas Nogueira scares me as a prospect he seems to have a high  bust potential, the flip side of that is he might be the only guy in the second helf of the first round with the potential to develop into an allstar.The best case with him is he stays in europe for 2 years then joins the celts at 20 years old and hopefully weighs 235+ lbs.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Lucas Nogueira scares me as a prospect he seems to have a high  bust potential, the flip side of that is he might be the only guy in the second helf of the first round with the potential to develop into an allstar.The best case with him is he stays in europe for 2 years then joins the celts at 20 years old and hopefully weighs 235+ lbs.

I read that he is from Brazil and has similar hair to Anderson Varejao. I am in.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

I've liked Lighty since he was a teammate of Greg Oden. He's not good enough to pick in the first round. But he's got solid role player skills with a conservative game - good defense, athletic and size enough to hold his own.

He could be nice if he is around at #55.

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Just a thought.

It will be interesting to see.  Although I wouldn't count on it.  Where it is a weak draft, there just isn't a ton of value in using valuable roster spots on guys like this.  I think if there is someone they love, then they will do it, but beyond that, I think they will prefer to use those roster spots for veterans.

Why not, though?  They went into last season with three rookies and a roster that was stacked with plenty of veterans.  I mean, for all the grief I've given Danny I still applaud the job he did last summer bringing in plenty of veterans so the rookies weren't being counted on to contribute right away.

With Shaq retiring, there's only six guys under contract for next season.  There's room both to bring back Jeff Green and some other veterans, and to add a couple extra rookies.  If there's any thought of maybe using KG's or Ray's contracts in a trade, they've got to start acquiring young talent as "sweeteners" or it's not going to happen.

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Given that amount of mid-level talent with potential in this draft the chances of someone special slipping into the top of the 2nd round is pretty good. Would love to see the C's buy an extra pick in the second round or move up. There will be plenty of undrafted prospects as well to bring in if they move up.

They said they would spend and this is a very economical way to do that. The investment is minimal compared to bringing in a FA for a long term contract.