Author Topic: 2011 Clippers pick could be 2011 Wolves Pick  (Read 7405 times)

2011 Clippers pick could be 2011 Wolves Pick
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

Offline timfiore

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Found this kind of interesting...

It gets even more complicated. The Clippers also are owed a first-round pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Wolves were slated to give this pick to L.A. this year unless it was in the top 10, in which case they instead would send their 2012 pick unconditionally. (As it turns out, Minnesota's pick is in the top 10, so L.A. instead gets the 2012 pick, but this was not yet determined when the Clippers and Cavs were dealing.) And for the cherry atop this draft-pick sundae, if the Clippers get Minnesota's pick in 2012 and owe their own pick to Boston in 2012, the Clips keep the higher pick and send Boston the lower pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=6564663

Re: 2011 Clippers pick could be 2011 Wolves Pick
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »

Offline timfiore

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
i should have titled this 2012 celtics pick could be from the timberwolves... oops

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:38 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
i should have titled this 2012 celtics pick could be from the timberwolves... oops

just click on the modify button on your first post and change the title .

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Found this kind of interesting...

It gets even more complicated. The Clippers also are owed a first-round pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Wolves were slated to give this pick to L.A. this year unless it was in the top 10, in which case they instead would send their 2012 pick unconditionally. (As it turns out, Minnesota's pick is in the top 10, so L.A. instead gets the 2012 pick, but this was not yet determined when the Clippers and Cavs were dealing.) And for the cherry atop this draft-pick sundae, if the Clippers get Minnesota's pick in 2012 and owe their own pick to Boston in 2012, the Clips keep the higher pick and send Boston the lower pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=6564663

I know the pick that the clippers are sending to us is top 10 protected. So does this mean either Minnesota or the Clippers need to finish out of the top 10 for us to make the pick? Or is it only if the Clippers finish out of the top 10?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It could be the Wolves pick, but only if the Wolves finish outside the top 10, which is even more unlikely than the Clippers finishing outside the top 10.  But yes, it could happen, and it means it's an incrementally larger chance that we get the pick next year as opposed to some future year.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I would be very surprised if the Clips have one of the worst 10 records next year.  Minnie, definitely one of the worst.  With a full year of Griffin, Bledsoe and the rest of that team to gel, I seriously think they'll be knocking on the door of .500 ball next year and sending us their pick.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The clippers kind of remind me of the OKC Thunder of last year.  I think they'll be right around the 8 seed in the west all year.
do it

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The clippers kind of remind me of the OKC Thunder of last year.  I think they'll be right around the 8 seed in the west all year.

I really doubt that. They have Love and Beasley, but their 3rd best players is...?

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I really doubt that. They have Love and Beasley, but their 3rd best players is...?

Think you misread that, he said the Clippers could be "next" not the wolves.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Even though you messed up I think there is a possibility the Wolves could be much better this year.

If Rubio comes in and lives up to the hype that would make them better at that spot. If they pick Kanter at the 5 that could be an improvement. Beasley, Love, and Wes Johnson could all look better with a good pg spreading the ball around.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Even though you messed up I think there is a possibility the Wolves could be much better this year.

If Rubio comes in and lives up to the hype that would make them better at that spot. If they pick Kanter at the 5 that could be an improvement. Beasley, Love, and Wes Johnson could all look better with a good pg spreading the ball around.

Yeah, I did. Sorry.

The Clippers could be better, but it all depends on if they're able to re-sign Jordan and if Kaman can stay consistent and healthy for the entire season.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ummm, I am not sure I buy this.  This is the first time I have read that the Clippers sent the lower of their two 2012 picks to OKC.  I am not sure where that part is coming from, because generally when those things are stipulated in a trade, it is reported pretty widely.

He is right about the Stepien Rule being the reason for no protection on this years pick.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Ummm, I am not sure I buy this.  This is the first time I have read that the Clippers sent the lower of their two 2012 picks to OKC.  I am not sure where that part is coming from, because generally when those things are stipulated in a trade, it is reported pretty widely.

He is right about the Stepien Rule being the reason for no protection on this years pick.

This has been reported previously; I know I included it in the FAQ article I did after the trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This has been reported previously; I know I included it in the FAQ article I did after the trade.

Wow, I just completely missed it then. 

...or maybe I did read it, and my mind blocked it out as useless trivia, since there is no way the Wolves pick isn't in the top 10 next year anyways.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Just to clarify do we need both the Clippers and the Wolves to finish outside of the top ten next year or just the Clippers? If the Clippers finish outside of the top ten but the twolves don't, do we get the twolves pick, Do we get the clips pick, or do we still have to wait?